City ponder £135m Ronaldo bid

heero

They should bring in a rule that you're only allowed a wage bill at 60% of revenue, not only will it stop people like Abramovich and this Arab chap ruining the game but it'll help make sure other clubs don't run the risk of going the way of Leeds.

They should bring in a rule that you're only allowed a wage bill at 60% of revenue, not only will it stop people like Abramovich and this Arab chap ruining the game but it'll help make sure other clubs don't run the risk of going the way of Leeds.

I would think that sooner or later these guys will want a return on their investment tbh. These types take a much longer term view of things than your average football fan.

Guest shaun11177

Sure City will challenge for everything but there is no guarantee at all they will win everything-they can only put 11 on the pitch and in theory they could buy 2 world class players for every position in practice knowing players especially the top ones they hate sharing games+you can end up like Real did and buy all forwards and no defenders.

Its not the end of the world as we know it I cant wait to see one of the top 4 out of the top 4 because boy somebody is going to squeal when that happens.

I reckon the people most bothered by this Citeh thing are the current elite, the (no its not permanent) "top four". It makes very little difference to the other also rans in the league. If City or anyone else can smash their way in the Premier elite in double quick time, I think its only good for football. If it means Liverpool or Arsenal or someone drop out of the CL and do a Leeds, it will be no more of a shame than when Leeds did a Leeds. The general response from the top clubs then was ridicule, not sympathy.

You can argue that it pushes up player prices and wages even further at a time when they are already too high, but the top four have done a pretty good job of that already.  Lampard on 140,000 a week etc. Manure have spent over 25 million on a single player four times. If there is moral high ground, the current and previous champions are certainly not on it.

I reckon the problem at the moment is that to win the title, you can't lose five games. That is way harder than the 1970s when Derby, Villa etc. came up and won it.  To achieve that level of consistency, you need a massive squad of quality players. If the top four becomes a top six, they will beat each other more often. If anything that opens the door more to other teams with a strong first 11 but limited strength in depth. For all their money and the galacticos, Real Madrid don't dominate La Liga. I doubt Citeh will in the Prem either. They're welcome to a CL place though, just to make it interesting.

Fwiw, I hope they don't buy Ronaldo for that money though. Simply because I'd rather not have Manure receive it.

Hear hear, I can't wait to see the array of stars that may join City and their matches with the top 4 should be mouth watering, would love it if they take the piss out of the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool. If they break into the top 4, wont make much of a difference to us. We were never challenging the top 4 anyway (at least not in terms of final league standing), now just change top 4 to top 5. No salary/transfer cap bullshit, bring it on, let the free market bring the best players to the Premiership.

Obviously it goes without saying that I'd love us to secure one such Arab investor too. News flash, winning honestly without splashing the dough passed us by like quite a few years and is never returning. Might as well make the best of it