City ponder £135m Ronaldo bid

heero

The new owner of Manchester City, Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim, has intimated that Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ADUG) could back a £135million bid for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo in January.

completely nutts

135 mil, do they shit money or what

I was honestly disillusioned in the extreme about football as it was before all this Keegan business came out. Man City are to blame more than anyone right now.

What is happening there is just the epitome of everything that is wrong about modern day football and I'm worried about the future of the game. There are so many elements to this that worry me that I can't begin to list them all here. In fact I'm going to start a new blog and just put it all there because there is so much to it that bothers me.

Can somebody sort out a proper discussion thread about this. I was in deep depression about the state of football this morning because of things such as this, and I've been distracted by the whole Keegan leaving stuff. To be honest, this whole "oil money now running football thing" is so more depressing to the sport I love.

£135m for Ronaldo used to be something that would be published in the daily sport. Now is most likely going to be fact.

I was honestly disillusioned in the extreme about football as it was before all this Keegan business came out. Man City are to blame more than anyone right now.

What is happening there is just the epitome of everything that is wrong about modern day football and I'm worried about the future of the game. There are so many elements to this that worry me that I can't begin to list them all here. In fact I'm going to start a new blog and just put it all there because there is so much to it that bothers me.

Let me know where that blog is - wouldn't mind reading your thoughts on this. You're absolutely right mate - this latest development at Citeh is most unwelcome for the good of the game. If there's a parallel though, look to the dot.com bubble, it burst eventually...I can't help wondering if the same could happen with speculative investors using football clubs as their executive toys. It's all a bit sickening when it gets to this sort of level though. Mike Ashley is one thing. This is quite another.

Honestly, American style salary caps and maybe a transfer cap of 35 million should come into English football with immediate effect from the start of next season for the sake of the game.

I dont care if this affects English teams chances in Europe or not.  Domestic football is really all that matters and every team should be given equal resources.

Teams like Wigan and Bolton should have just as much chance of winning the Premier League as Man U or Chelsea and now apparently Man City.

It has got to happen at some point.

Honestly, American style salary caps and maybe a transfer cap of 35 million should come into English football with immediate effect from the start of next season for the sake of the game.

I dont care if this affects English teams chances in Europe or not.  Domestic football is really all that matters and every team should be given equal resources.

Teams like Wigan and Bolton should have just as much chance of winning the Premier League as Man U or Chelsea and now apparently Man City.

Commie.

Guest toonlass

They also want Torres & Cesc and will make up to 18 world class transfers in the next window.

I don't doubt them.

Ouch for everyone else.

Do you reckon they will bid for Smith and Shola?

They also want Torres & Cesc and will make up to 18 world class transfers in the next window.

I don't doubt them.

Ouch for everyone else.

No.

Guest toonlass

I don't doubt them.

Ouch for everyone else.

No.

Damnit!

Commie.

I hate to harp on about the NFL but since every team no matter how big or how small has to adhere to the salary cap it means the gap between the best teams and the worst teams is MUCH, MUCH smaller than it is in our Premier League.

What this means is that good management/coaching, player trades and recruitment etc (transfers) play a bigger part in the game.

It also means that the power balance shifts around the league on a fairly regular basis, and the absolute worst team in the league at any one time knows that given the right selection of head coach plus consistent team building and desire can see the worst team become a serious challenger in a matter of years.

I am just advocating their system as a sort of template with the appropriate tweaks made to suit the world of our football.