Oba Martins tells it like it is

Guest hindu times

Oba' Martins is one of my favourite players at the club at the moment. I think he seems quite in tune with the fans and has got a genuine passion for the club and the fans.

So why is he feigning injury then?

Is that actually true?

Oba' Martins is one of my favourite players at the club at the moment. I think he seems quite in tune with the fans and has got a genuine passion for the club and the fans.

So why is he feigning injury then?

Is that actually true?

The real question is, if its not true that he hasn't injured himself, why has he not decided to lie about being honest?

Guest rebel_yell12

Doubt Owen would sign a new deal

With the mess as is - who could blame him ?

Back to Liverpool ?

Who else is going to pay him £100k+ per week?  Liverpool won't & he'll not be ahead of Keane & Torres so would he sign for them knowing that he'd be 3rd or 4th choice?

Same goes at Man Ure, Arsenal & Chelski.

Citeh can buy another Robinho-type player & Sven's not there now so that's probably not going to happen.

That pretty much leaves

Everton (would they pay the wages, would an ex-Liverpool player play for Everton?)

Villa (again, would they be willing to pay his wages? Who would they drop to accommodate him?)

Portsmouth (they'd pay his wages & he's old enough for them)

Spurs (the only team in a worse position than us, that takes some doing)

West Ham (there are Big Issue sellers with more money them West Ham)

He could end up joining any one of those teams but I feel that he'd either not be first choice at any of them or they'd simply not want him due to his age, injuries & wages.

Having said that, I expect he'll be off in January.

Owen would walk into the Liverpool team right now ahead of Robbie Keane. And given Rafa Benitez's squad rotation policy, the number of games they'll play, the likelihood of injuries to Keane, Torres, Gerrard, etc etc, the fact that Owen can quite clearly play in an attacking midfield role or a deep lying role - I dont think for a second he wouldn't play the vast majority of games in a season over there.

Its extremely difficult to see Liverpool not wanting him. It's a no brainer for them. Their fans would be over the moon about his return, and if he keeps his current form up, those that were disgruntled/bitter at the way their talisman at the time left them will barely remember that episode - all they'll see is that the man who helped them to win trophies for the first time in ages, a player who was European Footballer of the Year with them, formerly the nation's best goalscorer, thats who they'll be picking up on a free.

It'd be a big coup for Gillett/Hicks and Rafa because of that potential move being very likely to be such a crowd pleaser. Look at the way the majority of Liverpool fans (working on perception here, maybe the real fans felt differently?) creamed themselves over the return of Robbie Fowler. Even the media turned their attention to the return of the crowd's favourite son and nothing else. All the criticisms of transfer policies, squad rotation frequency, Spaniards being signed, etc etc. And this was when Robbie Fowler was dogshit by then.

As for Owen's wages, I'm pretty sure they're not a part of the equation. Back when we were first linked heavily, he outright ruled us out because he was only interested in the CL teams. And hence, he only ended up with us because none of those teams wanted him and the only one that did had been heavily outbid, which resulted in Owen not being willing to call Madrid's bluff. Hence, the choice at the time was mammoth wages with us vs good wages but CL football in a good side surrounded by quality players. He wanted to go for the latter but was forced into the former.

Can't speak for all Liverpool fans, but my perception of that was simple:  "God" came back, and we learned the hard way he wasn't "God" anymore.  That said, Fowler was more popular with the Liverpool masses than Owen ever was, though Fowler did less for the club (trophy-wise, profile-wise).  Fowler is pure Scouser, and Owen has always been perceived as the posh little "robot boy" from Chester (though he grew up in Wales and hardly posh).  Fowler was sold, Owen "left".  Fowler fell out with Houllier (who took the blame for Fowler leaving), whilst Owen "betrayed the club".  I don't think all the Liverpool fans will welcome Owen, but a good number have enough sense to realise it'd be good for the football being played. 

Carragher's recent book mentions that Rafa has tried/considered bringing Owen back on two occasions:  in summer 2005 and again in summer 2007.  Guess the cycle would say summer 2009 might see Owen considered again.  MO would definitely be welcomed back by the captain and vice-captain, but I don't think there's but one other player left at Liverpool whom Owen played with whilst there.  The problem faced there is that it would be hard to rotate Owen out (he doesn't take being benched for "rest" well, apparently) -- according to rumours, this was Rafa's concern in 2004.  Owen was at the center of a very popular and powerful "clique" at Liverpool (Gerrard, Carra, MO, Murphy & Hamann), and rotating him might have resulted in tension between manager and squad.  Reuniting Carra, MO and Gerrard could still face that issue.