Goals, Disallowed Goals, Red Cards and Penalties ?

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only thing they should introduce technology for is telling whether or not the ball has crossed the line. That's the only thing that is 100% factual; it either crossed the line or it did not. Every other decision is subject to interpretation, and should stay that way.

It'll never happen anyway, due to the reasons ikri pointed out.

Surely it's floodgates, how would it be viable to introuce technology for one element of the game when the others would still be lacking the added analysis?

Hypothetically it'd be a farse if you could stop to see whether the ball crossed the line, yet penalty decisions were still for example being made wrongly.

All or nothing imo.

The only thing they should introduce technology for is telling whether or not the ball has crossed the line. That's the only thing that is 100% factual; it either crossed the line or it did not. Every other decision is subject to interpretation, and should stay that way.

Surely it's floodgates, how would it be viable to introuce technology for one element of the game when the others would still be lacking the added analysis?

Hypothetically it'd be a farse if you could stop to see whether the ball crossed the line, yet penalty decisions were still for example being made wrongly.

All or nothing imo.

You wouldn't have a stop and see anything, that's my point. It'd be a piece of piss to install the necessary ball/post sensors to alert the referee instantly. It's a goal or it didn't go in. There's no analysis required.

All or nothing imo.

You wouldn't have a stop and see anything, that's my point. It'd be a piece of piss to install the necessary ball/post sensors to alert the referee instantly. It's a goal or it didn't go in. There's no analysis required.

I agree that the sensor concept would be very simple and quick, however my point is I'd expect that people will be calling for other elements of the game to use the relevant technology, if the goalline technology proves to be successful. Just how I see it panning out, anyway. I do however accept the goalline sensor would in theory be very easy to manage.

Ah, but the problem is that you do have to stop the game for reviews.  You can't let play continue because what if something else happens during the period that the referee is reviewing the play. (And I am assuming that the review will be by a 4th official and not the guy in the middle).  You can't go back and erase parts of the game based on a previous decision.

What happens if Blue team creams a shot off the crossbar, ball shoots down onto/over the line and bounces back out. Blue team protest to referee, but meanwhile Red team breaks upfield and within 10 seconds of the ball hitting the crossbar at one end, the other team has scored.  Now what does the referee do?  Goal for Red or goal for blue.

We already have the situation that once a re-start has taken place the decision cannot be reversed even if the referee admits/acknowledges a mistake.

I reckon, like Dave says, technology should be introduced for goal-line stuff only.

However, I reckon you could also use it for offsides (to an extent - whole benefit of the doubt thing comes to light, plus the fact it could take a bit of time to get a reply and make the decision) but for the rest, you simply cannot use it for.

Everything is down to the interpretation of the referee and the introduction of video technology for red cards and penalities would only fuel debate further.