No more investment from Ashley

steve_69

Hopefully that just means he isn't prepared to 'subsidise' the club, and that some signings can still be made out of the clubs own sustainable spending power.

Obviously would be better if he was going to plough in his own money again, but we got we asked for didn't we? He wants out.

again?

Aye, like when he paid off the debts and that.

Pay off debts = no interest repayments =

a) More money for player purchases & wages

or

b) Higher profit margin for Mike

What was the motive, a) or b) - you decide.

Hopefully that just means he isn't prepared to 'subsidise' the club, and that some signings can still be made out of the clubs own sustainable spending power.

Obviously would be better if he was going to plough in his own money again, but we got we asked for didn't we? He wants out.

???  Yes he paid off debt, which then meant his company didn't have to pay interest payments and also increased the value of his asset.  However he's never shown that he'll actually put in his own money for transfers.

again?

Aye, like when he paid off the debts and that.

Pay off debts = no interest repayments =

a) More money for player purchases & wages

or

b) Higher profit margin for Mike

What was the motive, a) or b) - you decide.

Or both?

???  Yes he paid off debt, which then meant his company didn't have to pay interest payments and also increased the value of his asset.  However he's never shown that he'll actually put in his own money for transfers.

O0

Exactly - since Mallorca are chasing around for compensation for Jonas (undisclosed fee on the transfer listings) I beleive that this shows that he came on a free, which I beleive pushes transfer dealings for the past three transfer windows into the black.

We we're making a small profit year on year on the balance sheet before he came, so where is the past two years worth of 20 million pound investment, as well as the 40 million or so Sky money?

Ashley's main problem is he values his friendship of Dennis Wise over the interests of the club.

For an astute businessman its amazingly short sighted of him to continue employing this little shitbag with absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever.

Wise is obviously more valuable to him than the tens of millions of pounds extra he would have got by selling a healthy club with a 50,000 pie eaters buying food every game. :idiot2:

Still can't see anything that Wise has done wrong other than not being a Geordie. If that's why you don't like him then you're being even more short sighted than you claim Ashley is tbh.

Not being a geordie, being an obnoxious little shit, (repeat) - someone with absolutely no connection to the club and a generally hated character - the perfect man for Newcastle United. :rolleyes:

As for your second sentence - whether I like Wise or not is not going to cost me millions of pounds, how does that compare to Ashley?

So would you also criticise transfer spending in that it might lead to success and increase the value of his asset? I don't get how paying of the debt can be anything but a great thing for the club.

Ashley's main problem is he values his friendship of Dennis Wise over the interests of the club.

For an astute businessman its amazingly short sighted of him to continue employing this little shitbag with absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever.

Wise is obviously more valuable to him than the tens of millions of pounds extra he would have got by selling a healthy club with a 50,000 pie eaters buying food every game. :idiot2:

Still can't see anything that Wise has done wrong other than not being a Geordie. If that's why you don't like him then you're being even more short sighted than you claim Ashley is tbh.

Not being a geordie, being an obnoxious little shit, (repeat) - someone with absolutely no connection to the club and a generally hated character - the perfect man for Newcastle United. :rolleyes:

As for your second sentence - whether I like Wise or not is not going to cost me millions of pounds, how does that compare to Ashley?

All you've described there is opinion and the personal views of some fans and some elements of the media, nothing he's done at all.

And who's to say that it was as simple as sacking Wise = keeping Keegan? You can't run a business being held hostage to people's whims.

Not being a geordie, being an obnoxious little s***, (repeat) - someone with absolutely no connection to the club and a generally hated character - the perfect man for Newcastle United. :rolleyes:

All you've described there is opinion and the personal views of some fans and some elements of the media, nothing he's done at all.

And who's to say that it was as simple as sacking Wise = keeping Keegan? You can't run a business being held hostage to people's whims.

Point out where I said sacking Wise = keeping Keegan and your reply will have some merit.

Not being a geordie, being an obnoxious little s***, (repeat) - someone with absolutely no connection to the club and a generally hated character - the perfect man for Newcastle United. :rolleyes:

And who's to say that it was as simple as sacking Wise = keeping Keegan? <b>You can't run a business being held hostage to people's whims.</b>

No you can't, but in order to have a successful business you have to keep your customers and stakeholders happy. Ashley didn't do this and look where it's got him

Point out where I said sacking Wise = keeping Keegan and your reply will have some merit.

I thought this:

Implied that he should have got rid of Wise in order to avert the current crisis. Maybe I understood you wrong, sorry.

And who's to say that it was as simple as sacking Wise = keeping Keegan? <b>You can't run a business being held hostage to people's whims.</b>

No you can't, but in order to have a successful business you have to keep your customers and stakeholders happy. Ashley didn't do this and look where it's got him

Aye that's true, you've got a point there, all I would argue is maybe he didn't forsee the reaction (understandable) or thought that he would be able to resolve the situation and keep Keegan anyway.

Aye that's true, you've got a point there, all I would argue is maybe he didn't forsee the reaction (understandable) or thought that he would be able to resolve the situation and keep Keegan anyway.

Again that shows a lack of research on Ashley's part. He should've known what to expect before he bought the club and he should've respected the duty he has towards us as Newcastle United's owner. The niaivity and arrogance with which Ashley has handled this whole situation shows him to be nothing more than a businessman - the kind of businessman that isn't used to having his decisions questioned and criticised.

True, he was a bit naive in that respect. To be fair though I think even we couldn't have forseen the strength of reaction when Keegan walked. Until about a week before then most people were behind Ashley and thought he had a plan for the future of the club.

I still think his biggest mistake was the opposite of what most people think - to try to be more a fan or a friend of the fans than a businessman.

If he'd been thinking with his logical business head at all times he might have avoided his biggest errors, firstly bringing back Keegan in the first place if he didn't fit the system, and second running away too easily when the fans objected.

I don't think he's shown himself to be a ruthless businessman just in search of a profit, quite the opposite in fact.

So would you also criticise transfer spending in that it might lead to success and increase the value of his asset? I don't get how paying of the debt can be anything but a great thing for the club.

Paying off the debt is good for Mike Ashley. It would only be good for the club though (in footballing terms) if the money saved in interest payments were ploughed back into the club (improved facilities, transfer fees, wages, etc).

As an analogy, if I pay off my mortgage early it's good for ME as I will save money in interest payments. However paying off my mortgage early does nothing to improve the state of my house itself. It would only do so if I used the money saved to decorate or extend it, not if I used the money I saved to host lavish parties in New York for example.

Paying off the debt is good for Mike Ashley. It would only be good for the club though (in footballing terms) if the money saved in interest payments were ploughed back into the club (improved facilities, transfer fees, wages, etc).

As an analogy, if I pay off my mortgage early it's good for ME as I will save money in interest payments. However paying off my mortgage early does nothing to improve the state of my house itself. It would only do so if I used the money saved to decorate or extend it, not if I used the money I saved to host lavish parties in New York for example.

Not sure I completely agree with your analogy there, a business isn't the same as a house - a house doesn't have accounts, employees, business objectives and cash flow to think of. A football club has to consider its financial future.

Obviously Ashley has an interest in owning a debt-free club, there's no argument about that. But he's the owner, surely anyone would take actions in that role that would benefit the club and therefore themselves?

It remains to be seen whether money saved will be spent in productive ways, but one thing we wouldn't do is to clear our debts only to spend our way back into them. Right or wrong Ashley's plan seems to be making the club self-sufficient, so that it would only spend within its means.

Doesn't really matter anyway now, as he's selling.