The Sunday Story So Far....

Thespence

Ashley may have to splash some cash if buyer cant be found as we need players to stay up. JK the IM has told DW the ED(F) he wants a central defender, a full-back and a powerful midfielder.

Chelsea want Taylor.

The man who owns Collingwood Insurance (the people who pick the MOTM) wants to be chairman & reckons he can get Alan Shearer to be gaffer. Would like to see Ashley back at SJP.  Does not have enough £££'s to buy all of Ashleys shares though. The bloke lives tax free on Gibby Rock but flies in for games & his company after Adidas & Norther Rock are club next biggest backers.

Richard Money could be target for the Huddersfield job.

Edgar wanted by Roeder.

Appiah free to join other clubs for errrrrr FREE so say FIFA. Us & 2 others are going to check him out playing for Ghana. Fener have said they will be seeking comp from who ever signs him.

DW ED (F) pissed Sunderland off when he signed Jak Alnwick. Comp has been paid to the scum.

More to follow as & when.

Guest firetotheworks

Ashley may have to splash some cash if buyer cant be found as we need players to stay up. JK the IM has told DW the ED(F) he wants a central defender, a full-back and a powerful midfielder.

Chelsea want Taylor.

The man who owns Collingwood Insurance (the people who pick the MOTM) wants to be chairman & reckons he can get Alan Shearer to be gaffer. Would like to see Ashley back at SJP.  Does not have enough £££'s to buy all of Ashleys shares though. The bloke lives tax free on Gibby Rock but flies in for games & his company after Adidas & Norther Rock are club next biggest backers.

Edgar wanted by Roeder.

Appiah free to join other clubs for errrrrr FREE so say FIFA. Us & 2 others are going to check him out playing for Ghana. Fener have said they will be seeking comp from who ever signs him.

DW ED (F) pissed Sunderland off when he signed Jak Alnwick. Comp has been paid to the scum.

Cheers for that spence. 2+2=Appiah

IT’S been a week of remembrance, but I hope few Newcastle United fans paused for reflection when told of Andy Cole hanging up his boots.

For the memories stirred would have been poignantly painful. Absolute agony, in fact.

Don’t get me wrong, the actual fact of Cole’s retirement leaves me cold. The man lost me once and for all the day he insisted on being called Andrew.

But I feel for the supporters for whom he was once a symbol of unbridled hope at a club now mired in pessimism.

Few things bring home the problems of the present better than a glorious past.

Can it really be 15 years since a Cole-fired Geordie juggernaut hit the top flight head on, crushing reputations as it went?

Is it really a decade and a half since a Premier League pecking order now set in stone was shattered by Kevin Keegan’s Entertainers?

In my mind, those days seem so close. Yet in the grim reality of Newcastle United today, they are so very far away.

As the Magpies, armed with the feints and footwork of Peter Beardsley and Cole’s rapier thrust, swept almost all before them in their maiden season after promotion, pretty much anything appeared possible.

Not least the now impossible: becoming every non-North East fan’s second favourite team.

Nothing measures United’s decline like the club’s fall from grace to disgrace.

In 1993/94, every Newcastle game became an event. A national event, that is, as an appreciative Sky Sports went with the flow, and Richard Keys’ salmon-coloured blazers became a near-permanent fixture at St James’s Park.

Keegan’s men scored 82 league goals — a figure only ever bettered in the intervening 14 years by Arsenal and Manchester United.

To put that total into a more parochial context, it is only one less than Newcastle have managed in the last two seasons combined.

They managed 12 more goals in the League Cup alone. In three games.

Indeed, of all my recollections of Cole and the club in their pomp, his hat-trick in a 7-1 second-round win at Notts County springs as readily to mind as any.

These days, Newcastle would regard that same cup tie as a banana skin. Back then, it merely offered a platform for their stellar talents.

Cole struck 41 times in all that year, and a still joint-record 34 times in the league. With Beardsley bagging 24 goals in total, theirs remains the most prolific one-season partnership in Premier League history.

The Magpies may only have finished third and qualified for the UEFA Cup, but they won a place in multi-millions of hearts.

What odds would you have got then on United still being without a trophy — without a hope of one — today?

Yes, hope. The currency of Tyneside since time immemorial, but its value now fallen further south than the pound, and still sliding.

Sadly, the last knockings of his career saw Cole once again become a symbol for Newcastle . . . a spent force trying to trade on long-gone glories.

Such glories, in the case of Newcastle, that they genuinely felt they could do without Cole at a time when, at 23, he seemed yet to even reach his peak.

Now, as their rudderless ship lists ever further, they are in no position even to decide whether to sell their best player.

Ah, the way Newcastle were. Can it be that it was all so simple then? Sadly, yes.

And what’s too painful to remember, Tyneside cannot simply choose to forget.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/columnists/neil-farrington/2008/11/16/why-cole-fires-painful-memories-of-entertainers-79310-22264963/

Chelsea want Taylor.

Edgar wanted by Roeder.

Cheers for that spence. 2+2=Appiah

http://news.myjoyonline.com/sports/200811/22895.asp

Ghana captain Stephen Appiah says he is not under-pressure to impress any agent or club in Wednesday's friendly against Tunisia in Accra.

Early this week, the News of the World newspaper reported that three premiership sides; West Ham United, Newcastle and Middlesbrough will be in Ghana to watch him.

But the 28-year-old told Ghanasoccernet.com he is not getting the jitters ahead of match.

"If it's true then its okay but I'm going to be myself and play my game. I have been training with Brescia for five months and I'm doing well," Appiah said.

“We are talking to a lot of clubs and that a deal can be sealed maybe after this match.

"I am a free agent now and that is the good news for me to take any decision or move anytime."

FIFA has ruled the former Fenerbahce ace can leave on a free transfer after recovering from a botched knee surgery by doctors of the Turkish club.

This has cleared the path for Appiah to secure a club even before the January transfer window opens.

Guest Heneage

Chelsea have wanted Taylor for a while, his mate was quite happy to to say that Tottenham and Liverpool had all asked and that he'd only go to Spuds.

Chelsea have wanted Taylor for a while, his mate was quite happy to to say that Tottenham and Liverpool had all asked and that he'd only go to Spuds.

Have I woken up in Bizarro world here? When did ANY club want Taylor?

He wants to go to Spurs aswell does he? Sorted. Get him and Dawson infront of Gomes. Sexual.

Guest Heneage

Have I woken up in Bizarro world here? When did ANY club want Taylor?

He wants to go to Spurs aswell does he? Sorted. Get him and Dawson infront of Gomes. Sexual.

No no he didn't want to. Right the friend of his who was by the tunnel literally said.

"Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham have inquired for him. He doesn't like the type the guys at liverpool and would hardly get a game at Chelsea so he would only really consider Tottenham".