British footballers abroad

Fenham Mag

I remember replying to a similar thread a while back on another forum about this topic. I wish more English players would be more adventurous to go abroad.....it makes the player`s game better IMO. Anyways....

1. You do not see people in general from Britain move abroad except US, Australia etc. Why? the language. We are such an ignorant nation that we cannot live anywhere that doesnt speak english or have a big english community.

2. English players skills in the technical Spanish, Italian and to a lesser extent German league means they are not necessarily in great demand.

3. Players will not be considered as strongly if playing abroad - beckham is a ridiculous exception - for the england team.

I totally disagree. I think people here have very short memories. Go back to the 1980s and early 90s before the big money of the premiership and plenty of the top English players played abroad. Gascoigne, Platt, Lineker, Hoddle, Waddle. It didn't hurt their chances of getting in to the England team either, in fact, possibly the opposite.

I think there's only one real reason we don't see so much English talent abroad now and that's quite simply because they can earn more money in the premiership.

I remember replying to a similar thread a while back on another forum about this topic. I wish more English players would be more adventurous to go abroad.....it makes the player`s game better IMO. Anyways....

1. You do not see people in general from Britain move abroad except US, Australia etc. Why? the language. We are such an ignorant nation that we cannot live anywhere that doesnt speak english or have a big english community.

2. English players skills in the technical Spanish, Italian and to a lesser extent German league means they are not necessarily in great demand.

3. Players will not be considered as strongly if playing abroad - beckham is a ridiculous exception - for the england team.

I totally disagree. I think people here have very short memories. Go back to the 1980s and early 90s before the big money of the premiership and plenty of the top English players played abroad. Gascoigne, Platt, Lineker, Hoddle, Waddle. It didn't hurt their chances of getting in to the England team either, in fact, possibly the opposite.

I think there's only one real reason we don't see so much English talent abroad now and that's quite simply because they can earn more money in the premiership.

Agree completely on the sentiment of that post btw. Only thing I'll say is English players simply aren't as good as the likes of Gazza, Hoddle, Lineker and Waddle anymore. Even Platt who wasn't really the greatest player used his abilities as best as he could and flourished really, especially for England.