Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

How do they have less debt?

Our accounts show that we have a £100 million loan on hte books that we might have to repay, I would have thought that it will have to be paid off at some stage or written off.

Either way it is technically debt as long as it's on the books although Ashley owes Ashley.  Even if it isn't costing anything we can't spend it twice, it's gone.

But if it's debt that we don't have to pay off, it's not really debt is it - not in terms of how the club operates day-to-day. If Ashley is going to potentially devastate the club by taking us down because he's worried about his own loan, he's an even bigger cunt that I thought he was - fucking stupid as well if he thinks he'll get it back in the Championship.

Of course it's still debt, it still has to be paid back even if it's when the club is sold, as will any debt have to be paid back that you're suggesting he adds to it.

I'm not suggesting he adds to it, unless the season ticket money has already been spent on something else.

The season ticket money will go into running the club this season, unless you're talking about the 3 year money which will obviously be spread over 3 years, unless you think he should spend it all up front now like Shepherd did with the sponsorship money and worry about the drop in income next season.

All up front? No. Secure our status as a Premiership club? Yes.

Unless you think his losses will be less should we drop into the Championship.

How much of it do you think he should be looking to invest now then?

Our accounts show that we have a £100 million loan on hte books that we might have to repay, I would have thought that it will have to be paid off at some stage or written off.

Either way it is technically debt as long as it's on the books although Ashley owes Ashley.  Even if it isn't costing anything we can't spend it twice, it's gone.

But if it's debt that we don't have to pay off, it's not really debt is it - not in terms of how the club operates day-to-day. If Ashley is going to potentially devastate the club by taking us down because he's worried about his own loan, he's an even bigger cunt that I thought he was - fucking stupid as well if he thinks he'll get it back in the Championship.

Of course it's still debt, it still has to be paid back even if it's when the club is sold, as will any debt have to be paid back that you're suggesting he adds to it.

I'm not suggesting he adds to it, unless the season ticket money has already been spent on something else.

The season ticket money will go into running the club this season, unless you're talking about the 3 year money which will obviously be spread over 3 years, unless you think he should spend it all up front now like Shepherd did with the sponsorship money and worry about the drop in income next season.

What happens if he tried to "secure our status" and we still go down whilst not paying the debt?

Two things which would of changed everything, if Jonas was signed for £12m and Milner was sold for what he was worth. Thats how flimsy this all is.

How much of it do you think he should be looking to invest now then?

I think an investment of £15-£20m in the positions we are desperately lacking in wouldn't be unreasonable.

Either way it is technically debt as long as it's on the books although Ashley owes Ashley. Even if it isn't costing anything we can't spend it twice, it's gone.

What happens if he tried to "secure our status" and we still go down whilst not paying the debt?

Two things which would of changed everything, if Jonas was signed for £12m and Milner was sold for what he was worth. Thats how flimsy this all is.

Why ever bother spending anything on players in that case? Why not just get 11 lads from the Sunday league and say "it's in case we go down?"

I don't understand what your last statement has to do with anything. Jonas would not have been signed if he'd cost £12m for a start.

Ashley Young in line for new contract

By Andy Walker on Aug 18, 08 08:28 AM in Journalists

VILLA star Ashley Young is hoping to land himself a bumper new deal with Martin O'Neill's men.

The England winger, 23, sees himself as Villa's most valuable asset behind Gareth Barry, whose future in the West Midlands is still not clear.

And having watched fellow starlet Gabby Agbonlahor put pen-to-paper on a new four-year deal last week and John Carew sign a one-year extension, Young wants to follow suit.

The ex-Watford man is 18 months into the four-and-a-half year contract that he signed when he arrived from Vicarage Road last year, a deal that earns him between £30,000 and £35,000 a week.

Now Young is hoping to commit his future further and secure a package worth closer to £70,000 per week.

Young has proved the critics, who slammed the £9.65 million fee that Villa paid for him, wrong by producing sparking form at Villa Park.

The Stevenage-born star has gone on to win three England caps and is considered one of the Premier League's hottest young stars.

And after O'Neill has spent all summer fending off competition for Barry, the Irishman won't want to have to do the same for Young.

O'Neill said: "Ashley has been fantastic for us. I'm pleased Gabby and John have signed new contracts and we've got a couple more players that we are looking to do exactly the same with - with Ashley Young being one of them.

"We are in conversation about that. I don't think the chairman (Randy Lerner) has any major problem about sorting out wages for people if they are doing the business week in and week out on the pitch.

"Agbonlahor has done that in my two seasons here, Carew has been terrific since being swapped with Milan Baros (at Lyon) and Young has been absolute class.

"It means he will get a new contract. Ashley hasn't come and asked for anything.

"He has got a number of years left to run on his contract but I'd like to sort him out and I am sure he is enjoying his football here which is great.

"If he continues to play in the fashion he is for us, who knows what might happen to him in the future but we would be delighted to keep him a bit longer."

Agbonlahor has had a number of extendions too, Barry will be on a fairly high wages? Just be interesting to see what villa's wages are like on the whole.

Why is the debt that we had under Freddy able to be used by Ashley as an excuse for our lack of spending though..

If we hadnt of had debt then wouldnt any new owner have just had to pay more for the club based on whats being said here ?

Its all the same in the end right

Ashley knew what he was getting when he bought us.. ?

Would we not expect Villa's next few accounts show a massive loss because of amortisation? I find it odd that their losses are so small when Lerner's spent so much (around £100m) on players who will now be depreciating in value. ???

Its easier for Lerner to invest as well as he isnt being strangled by the wage bill, he can afford to take more gambles with finances as the wage ratio isnt too high and  taking up too much revenue. Basically he can afford to speculate to accumalte, if we were to do the same the success would have to be pretty instantaneuos, bascially CL qualification, we'd also be taking up more of the revenue with the excessive wages, if it werent to wrok out then Ashley would be having to finance the falilure again and again.

If he invested as heavily as he has and Martin O'neil didnt get anywhere then he'd curb the spending, its also worth noting that Carew aside he isnt funding the transfers to overpaid stars but young up and coming stars on lower wages, meaning theres the safety net of resale and low wages.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Ashley is willing to speculate to accumlate - but not in these conditions and not unchecked.

I don't even know where to start on what's wrong with that post.

Ashley Young in line for new contract

By Andy Walker on Aug 18, 08 08:28 AM in Journalists

VILLA star Ashley Young is hoping to land himself a bumper new deal with Martin O'Neill's men.

The England winger, 23, sees himself as Villa's most valuable asset behind Gareth Barry, whose future in the West Midlands is still not clear.

And having watched fellow starlet Gabby Agbonlahor put pen-to-paper on a new four-year deal last week and John Carew sign a one-year extension, Young wants to follow suit.

The ex-Watford man is 18 months into the four-and-a-half year contract that he signed when he arrived from Vicarage Road last year, a deal that earns him between £30,000 and £35,000 a week.

Now Young is hoping to commit his future further and secure a package worth closer to £70,000 per week.

Young has proved the critics, who slammed the £9.65 million fee that Villa paid for him, wrong by producing sparking form at Villa Park.

The Stevenage-born star has gone on to win three England caps and is considered one of the Premier League's hottest young stars.

And after O'Neill has spent all summer fending off competition for Barry, the Irishman won't want to have to do the same for Young.

O'Neill said: "Ashley has been fantastic for us. I'm pleased Gabby and John have signed new contracts and we've got a couple more players that we are looking to do exactly the same with - with Ashley Young being one of them.

"We are in conversation about that. I don't think the chairman (Randy Lerner) has any major problem about sorting out wages for people if they are doing the business week in and week out on the pitch.

"Agbonlahor has done that in my two seasons here, Carew has been terrific since being swapped with Milan Baros (at Lyon) and Young has been absolute class.

"It means he will get a new contract. Ashley hasn't come and asked for anything.

"He has got a number of years left to run on his contract but I'd like to sort him out and I am sure he is enjoying his football here which is great.

"If he continues to play in the fashion he is for us, who knows what might happen to him in the future but we would be delighted to keep him a bit longer."

Agbonlahor has had a number of extendions too, Barry will be on a fairly high wages? Just be interesting to see what villa's wages are like on the whole.

Strange that the Daily Mail think his new contract was worth £40k per week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083062/Aston-Villa-winger-Ashley-Young-signs-new-year-contract.html

It's just guesswork.

Why ever bother spending anything on players in that case? Why not just get 11 lads from the Sunday league and say "it's in case we go down?"

I don't understand what your last statement has to do with anything. Jonas would not have been signed if he'd cost £12m for a start.

Im not sure what to say to all this. For some reason, at the beggining of the season this squad was good enough for a top 8 finsih with Keeganin charge, but now its not good enough to stay in the prem? Spot the gap in logic.

Assuming Ashley is willing to spend, what if he thinks this squad is good enough to stay up? Its certaily what the majority of us thought in August, I still think it now.

Typical throw the money at the problem attitude.

We'll spend this Jan, but it wont help a huge deal, we wont all of a sudden shoot up the table, what we need more desperately than signings is a good manager.

Would we not expect Villa's next few accounts show a massive loss because of amortisation? I find it odd that their losses are so small when Lerner's spent so much (around £100m) on players who will now be depreciating in value. ???

Its easier for Lerner to invest as well as he isnt being strangled by the wage bill, he can afford to take more gambles with finances as the wage ratio isnt too high and  taking up too much revenue. Basically he can afford to speculate to accumalte, if we were to do the same the success would have to be pretty instantaneuos, bascially CL qualification, we'd also be taking up more of the revenue with the excessive wages, if it werent to wrok out then Ashley would be having to finance the falilure again and again.

If he invested as heavily as he has and Martin O'neil didnt get anywhere then he'd curb the spending, its also worth noting that Carew aside he isnt funding the transfers to overpaid stars but young up and coming stars on lower wages, meaning theres the safety net of resale and low wages.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Ashley is willing to speculate to accumlate - but not in these conditions and not unchecked.

Give it a go.

Im not sure what to say to all this. For some reason, at the beggining of the season this squad was good enough for a top 8 finsih with Keeganin charge, but now its not good enough to stay in the prem? Spot the gap in logic.

Assuming Ashley is willing to spend, what if he thinks this squad is good enough to stay up? Its certaily what the majority of us thought in August, I still think it now.

We'll spend this Jan, but it wont help a huge deal, we wont all of a sudden shoot up the table, what we need more desperately than signings is a good manager.

Which we won't get.

Are you comfortable with us not strengthening and being relegated?

Fredbob we expected to do well before injurys and the change of manager obviously.

But we are apparently far more suscepible to injurys than any other side in the premier league, especially hamstring/muscle injurys in general of which we have lead the injury table easily with every season for about the last 5 or more.

It seems pretty clear that without Barton or Martins in our side are team isnt up to much atall.

These two are coming back soon, if either of them get injured again what then ? Ashley hasnt invested in any form of backup.

Seems he's taking a big risk & has a gamblers mentality to me.

Why is the debt that we had under Freddy able to be used by Ashley as an excuse for our lack of spending though..

If we hadnt of had debt then wouldnt any new owner have just had to pay more for the club based on whats being said here ?

Its all the same in the end right

Ashley knew what he was getting when he bought us.. ?

Can anyone explain this also.

Is it simply just a case of Ashley having lost money and so being unable to deal with the situation anymore as he thought he could ?

True, but I think the general opinion was 'providing we add a midfielder & full-backs'.

We were fucking desperate for a central midfielder worthy of the name. I put faith in the club because I thought they'd come through and they didn't. If you'd asked me whether Barton (in jail at the time)/Butt/Guthrie/Geremi was a good enough central midfield selection for the entire season, I'd have thought you were a fucking lunatic.

True, but I think the general opinion was 'providing we add a midfielder & full-backs'.

We were fucking desperate for a central midfielder worthy of the name. I put faith in the club because I thought they'd come through and they didn't. If you'd asked me whether Barton (in jail at the time)/Butt/Guthrie/Geremi was a good enough central midfield selection for the entire season, I'd have thought you were a fucking lunatic.

You've missed off Smith.

Which we won't get.

Are you comfortable with us not strengthening and being relegated?

Im of the opinion that we will stregthen.

Year after year fans complain at the clubs lack of movement in the tansfer market competely ignoring the nature of the market where the advantage is firmly with the selling club. The players we'll be looking at will be being looked at by other clubs, it makes no sense for the club to sell too early,not unless they get an offer they cant refuse, they're in a win win, they either sell later and make extra money or keep the player.

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

As for the good manager bit - thats with what im far more concerned with - we're at the corner a good manager who can bring it all together and work within the policy is all we need to turn that corner.

Fredbob we expected to do well before injurys and the change of manager obviously.

But we are apparently far more suscepible to injurys than any other side in the premier league, especially hamstring/muscle injurys in general of which we have lead the injury table easily with every season for about the last 5 or more.

It seems pretty clear that without Barton or Martins in our side are team isnt up to much atall.

These two are coming back soon, if either of them get injured again what then ? Ashley hasnt invested in any form of backup.

Seems he's taking a big risk & has a gamblers mentality to me.

Absolutely, i agree with what you're saying (incidentally despite the nature of my posts, im of the opinion that the account sheets dont excuse Ashley from spending, which i think he'll do in the summer, im of the opinion that the account show how important the policy and system was), Im just of the opinion that Ashley has done a good job regarding transfers considering and that if the squad was good enough in the summer then we cant just start cirticinsing him for it being "crap" now becasue we have injury problems its slighlty unfair.

In fact this whole argument is pretty moot until Feb 2nd, thats the only time we can tell if he is or isnt going to spend and if he does or doesnt recofine the issues.

(This is a shit post bytheway  :laugh:)

Give it a go.

This shit about the wages is absolute drivel - Ashley has sanctioned just as many wastes of space on massive wedge as Shepherd left us with for a start so that's not a get-out-of-jail-free card - for every Damien Duff, there's an Alan Smith. Some of them came in for nowt anyway so you expect to pay more in wages.

What we're paying in wages would not touch the £100m that Villa have spent in transfers alone on top of the wages they'll be giving out. How much do you think players like Reo-Coker, Davies, Milner, Cuellar, L. Young, Shorey will be taking home? At a combined cost of nearly £50m, it won't be peanuts I assure you.

Lerner has slashed ticket prices at 42000 Villa Park while we continue to pay top whack for more than that at SJP meaning our matchday income is also higher than theirs (now with three years cash, even moreso in the short term).

What exactly gives you 100% certainty that Ashley is willing to spend money? I'm yet to see one thing that suggests that.

Finally, how did your post answer my question? Will Villa's books not begin to show a massive loss over the next couple of years due to amortisation of a large number of expensive players?

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

Not paying what debt? I'm comfortable not giving Mike Ashley his money back yet, yes. I don't expect his meagre £600m has him buying the Asda SmartPrice stuff just yet.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two fucks if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

These latest figures don't make good reading and show what a mess Shepherd left us in but they do show a club shorn of debt (other than to its owner which we can ignore for the time being) which makes us one of the very few in the league in that state iirc.

No, they show that at 30th June we were free of debt, now however we have a mortgage with Barclays again for all we know it could be for more than the original was.

Give it a go.

This shit about the wages is absolute drivel - Ashley has sanctioned just as many wastes of space on massive wedge as Shepherd left us with for a start so that's not a get-out-of-jail-free card - for every Damien Duff, there's an Alan Smith. Some of them came in for nowt anyway so you expect to pay more in wages.

What we're paying in wages would not touch the £100m that Villa have spent in transfers alone on top of the wages they'll be giving out. How much do you think players like Reo-Coker, Davies, Milner, Cuellar, L. Young, Shorey will be taking home? At a combined cost of nearly £50m, it won't be peanuts I assure you.

Lerner has slashed ticket prices at 42000 Villa Park while we continue to pay top whack for more than that at SJP meaning our matchday income is also higher than theirs (now with three years cash, even moreso in the short term).

What exactly gives you 100% certainty that Ashley is willing to spend money? I'm yet to see one thing that suggests that.

Finally, how did your post answer my question? Will Villa's books not begin to show a massive loss over the next couple of years due to amortisation of a large number of expensive players?

This was before the system and policy no? Might be wrong but players like Viduka came before Ashley. If he carries on adding to it now then I'll take this back.

How many of them were signed in O'neils first 2 years in charge? If thats what we're comparing us to. Also, its the whole speculate to acculamte way of doing things, they started at a much lower wage ratio and were therefore in primed positon to invest all the sky money and Leners money, they can add to the wage bill. We just cant becasue ours was so high in the first place.

Its a fair point about the season ticket sales, to be honest im not sure how they all tie in.

He's spent the most ever on a centre half, the most ever on a full back, he put in what would of been a club record transfer for Modric (unless you think this was a PR stunt) he made bids for Woodgate and Aimar and he paid off a £100m debt. The intentions there.

Yes possilby but that will go hand in hand with they're increased revenue from season ticket sales and shirt sales, extended UEFA cup run, more money from higher league positiosn and also the magical potential CL qualification.