Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

Not paying what debt? I'm comfortable not giving Mike Ashley his money back yet, yes. I don't expect his meagre £600m  has him buying the Asda SmartPrice stuff just yet.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two f***s if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

:lol:

Fair enough.

Although if we sign a couple of decent players this window (as has been hinted) will it chage your view at all?

Not really. It's January 25th, signings are not looking likely and we're 2 points off 20th with a very difficult run-in. If we stay up I'm not going to praise him for saving us when he's the one who got us into this bother in the first place.

If he pushes on in the summer with a real manager and funds, I might think about putting up with him even if I don't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Sorry Wullie, but that's one of the most short sighted, narrow minded things I've ever read on here.

He is, man. Not the only one but most certainly the main culprit - like Shepherd, the man pulling the strings has to take the blame.

I know you like to defend him but when will you give up absolving him of blame? When we're lining up at Blackpool next season?

I've never absolved him of blame, he's made some monumental f*** ups. ???

Well then we agree. His monumental f*** ups have led us to where to we are now.

If you think he has led us there you're being incredibly naive.  We were well on the way before he even got involved.  That's like blaming Ken Bates for Leeds being in League 1.

I don't agree, I think he's done the majority of the damage and accelerated the slide (and it was already a slide, although we had finished 7th a year earlier, so by no means an unstoppable one). He's been here the same time as Lerner has at Villa and they were in a very similar state.

We were in a horrendous state financially but he paid most of that off as soon as he got here so what else is there to look at in terms of what has done the damage?

Aye he's paid it off which is something Lerner didn't have to do at Villa, amazing you can't see the difference between the state of the two clubs.  All due to a few years of horrendus financial mismanagement.  The fact is the rot set in long before Ashley arrived.

Since Ashley came in we've also had Mort, Keegan & Llambias doing the day to day running of the club and until we know the full facts the three of them are potentially just as culpable as he is.

The difference is clear, Lerner knows what he’s doing and Ashley doesn’t.

We're talking about before they took over numbnuts O0

I know. Mr Lerner knew what he was doing when he bought Villa, Ashley clearly had no idea what he was doing when he bought NUFC. Do I have to spoon feed you everything?

No we were talking about the state of the clubs, irrespective of their owners.  If each had bought the other club, the state of the finances at takeover would have been the same.  Keep trying though.

Guest fading star

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

Not paying what debt? I'm comfortable not giving Mike Ashley his money back yet, yes. I don't expect his meagre £600m  has him buying the Asda SmartPrice stuff just yet.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two f***s if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

Fair enough.

Although if we sign a couple of decent players this window (as has been hinted) will it chage your view at all?

Not really. It's January 25th, signings are not looking likely and we're 2 points off 20th with a very difficult run-in. If we stay up I'm not going to praise him for saving us when he's the one who got us into this bother in the first place.

If he pushes on in the summer with a real manager and funds, I might think about putting up with him even if I don't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Sorry Wullie, but that's one of the most short sighted, narrow minded things I've ever read on here.

He is, man. Not the only one but most certainly the main culprit - like Shepherd, the man pulling the strings has to take the blame.

I know you like to defend him but when will you give up absolving him of blame? When we're lining up at Blackpool next season?

If you think he has led us there you're being incredibly naive.  We were well on the way before he even got involved.  That's like blaming Ken Bates for Leeds being in League 1.

I don't agree, I think he's done the majority of the damage and accelerated the slide (and it was already a slide, although we had finished 7th a year earlier, so by no means an unstoppable one). He's been here the same time as Lerner has at Villa and they were in a very similar state.

We were in a horrendous state financially but he paid most of that off as soon as he got here so what else is there to look at in terms of what has done the damage?

Aye he's paid it off which is something Lerner didn't have to do at Villa, amazing you can't see the difference between the state of the two clubs.  All due to a few years of horrendus financial mismanagement.  The fact is the rot set in long before Ashley arrived.

Since Ashley came in we've also had Mort, Keegan & Llambias doing the day to day running of the club and until we know the full facts the three of them are potentially just as culpable as he is.

Was having to pay the debts off due to financial mismanagement or due to Ashley not doing his homework? I accept that a certain amount of the debts had to be paid with his own money because we were operating at a loss but:

a) the majority seems to have been the stadium loan, which is pure and simply Ashley not doing due diligence. That's his fault.

and b) did he have to pay all the debts off in one whack? Couldn't he have just paid the agreed repayments rather than paying them all off, which is what Lerner started doing despite their very similar debts? I don't know the answer to that, you should know better than me.

Re: the people at the top, Ashley hired them, so he has to carry the can.

The bit in bold is over-exaggerated a lot more than it should be tbh, people go on as if he didn't even get a copy of the accounts before making the decision to purchase. 

The question that people neglect to ask is who tied the club into that change of ownership clause & why?  The answer being to protect their investment despite the fact that it was going to potentially f*** any new investor over, regardless of whether they knew about it or not.

The level of the debt & the structure of it is down to financial mismanagement without a doubt.

So how did he miss the £70m debt?

Fair enough.

Was having to pay the debts off due to financial mismanagement or due to Ashley not doing his homework? I accept that a certain amount of the debts had to be paid with his own money because we were operating at a loss but:

a) the majority seems to have been the stadium loan, which is pure and simply Ashley not doing due diligence. That's his fault.

and b) did he have to pay all the debts off in one whack? Couldn't he have just paid the agreed repayments rather than paying them all off, which is what Lerner started doing despite their very similar debts? I don't know the answer to that, you should know better than me.

The bit in bold is over-exaggerated a lot more than it should be tbh, people go on as if he didn't even get a copy of the accounts before making the decision to purchase. 

The question that people neglect to ask is who tied the club into that change of ownership clause & why?  The answer being to protect their investment despite the fact that it was going to potentially f*** any new investor over, regardless of whether they knew about it or not.

The level of the debt & the structure of it is down to financial mismanagement without a doubt.

He didn't.

Guest fading star

Fair enough.

He didn't.

So why is there no money to spend on avoiding relegation?

Fair enough.

He didn't.

Because the club is a loss making operation.

Guest fading star

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

and thereby endeth the thread.

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

So if something isn't making any money, it doesn't have any.

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

His point is that other clubs are making losses as well and are still spending to ensure safety/push on for Europe as most reacently illustrated by Villa - why is that so stupid a point?

Guest fading star

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

So how come loss making Aston Villa can afford to splash £12m on Milner?

So how come loss making Aston Villa can afford to splash £12m on Milner?

That Lerner guy bought villa for much cheaper didnt he, so in comparison to his wealth he ended up with lots to spend

Ashley bought a club that cost a lot more because of debts etc and he isnt wealthy enough anymore to risk splashing out on us

thats basically what we're getting at isnt it

Doesnt that usually mean therefore that a business has to wind itself up and lay off all its staff ?

No it means it can borrow to meet its needs, until of course there isn't anywhere left to feasibly borrow from at which point it has to make unpopular decisions to secure its future.

Yep, should never of appointed Keegan in the first place - stupid mistake.

You're right - relegation a year earlier wouldn't have made much difference overall.

Even if someone else had kept us up do you honestly think as many STs/3 year deals would have been sold?

The latter is probably moot given the number of renewals that won't be happening this summer.

How many has been sold?

You're right - relegation a year earlier wouldn't have made much difference overall.

Even if someone else had kept us up do you honestly think as many STs/3 year deals would have been sold?

The latter is probably moot given the number of renewals that won't be happening this summer.

How many has been sold?

How many has been sold?

And how many of them signed up on the basis Keegan was there and how many to save themselves money because they would have been going anyway?

altogether now..."we aren't the loyalsit football supporters, the world has ever had"

How many has been sold?

And how many of them signed up on the basis Keegan was there and how many to save themselves money because they would have been going anyway?

I'm in the second group, as are most.

How many has been sold?

I don't know the absolute figures but I think there would have been less without the Keegan factor. I think the 3 year deal would have been taken up by people wanting to save money and those experiencing that factor or a mixture of the two. As I said I think this summer will show the real level of confidence in the club.

How many has been sold?

I don't know the absolute figures but I think there would have been less without the Keegan factor. I think the 3 year deal would have been taken up by people wanting to save money and those experiencing that factor or a mixture of the two. As I said I think this summer will show the real level of confidence in the club.

out of our dozen or so who used to go, about half are still going,all but 2 were packing in till fred left.

Guest fading star

Fair enough.

He didn't.

so what?

His point is that other clubs are making losses as well and are still spending to ensure safety/push on for Europe as most reacently illustrated by Villa - why is that so stupid a point?

What the three monkeys seem to be saying is that Ashley checked the books, noted the £70m debt and bought our club in the full knowledge he wouldn’t have enough money to fund some much need squad strengthening.

Irresponsible doesn’t do it justice.

Guest fading star

That Lerner guy bought villa for much cheaper didnt he, so in comparison to his wealth he ended up with lots to spend

Ashley bought a club that cost a lot more because of debts etc and he isnt wealthy enough anymore to risk splashing out on us

thats basically what we're getting at isnt it

Perhaps Ashley should have bought Villa?

Guest fading star

How many has been sold?

why don't you ask them next time your attend a match?

How many has been sold?

why don't you ask them next time your attend a match?

That will take quite a while getting around everyone.

Did you sign up for the 3 year deal btw?