U23s & Academy

Skirge

Equalised. OG.

Who's Liam Henderson?

No idea who Liam Henderson is,  never heard of him or seen him play.  Could be a mistake with the name, i know there is a centre half who's played a few times for the reserves called Jeff Henderson,  could be one for ObiChris to sort out!

Tonights game wasn't too bad, late equaliser from an OG kept our unbeaten home record of just over a year intact.  I thought our young lads done ok against a big physical Lincoln side.  Reserve games this season are completely different to what the lads are used to from previous seasons, much more of a physical battle up against hardened, streetwise old pros. 

First half wasn't too good, Ferguson having the best two chances for us, first one a curling effort just wide and then when played through by Danquah, the keeper came out quickly to smother his shot.  Lincoln took the lead early in the second half when their right winger skipped past Lough and hit a good low shot that squirmed under Soderberg and into the net,  although it was wet the keeper should've saved it.  We fought back well with Ameobi forcing two good saves from their keeper before Danquah's cross was headed into his own net from one of the Lincoln defenders.

Airey was back at right back after playing centre forward in the last few games and played well and Morris and Folan were excellent at centre backs, first time i've seen Folan play and was impressed.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Liam Henderson is a new youth player, along with Michael Hoganson, Oliver Nicols, Dan Taylor, and two other players, who's first name I can't remember - Maddison & Grieveson.

Hoganson and Nicols are strikers (Nicols is English/Eritean like Nzuzi)

Dan Taylor and Henderson are defenders

(Possibly Marcus) Maddison and (Sam) Grieveson seem to float between defense and Midfield

Though I've only seen them play a few minutes here and there, and don't think they're very old at all.

As for Folan, I've seen him play three or four times now, and each time its been in a different position - upfront, midfield and in defense, so I'm not sure if he's just a very versitile player, or if they're not sure where to play him. They seem to have settled him down at CB though, which is probably due to James Taylor and Matt Grieves getting on and nearly being too old to play (both 18).

Ferguson is looking light a bright prospect, and I don't think there's anyone who works harder then the little Irish winger currently at youth level (perhaps Phil Airey). The team always looks better with him in the side - works very well with Inman and Vuckic.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

haha aye!

Liam Henderson (Jeff Henderson)

Dan Taylor (Steven Taylor/Ryan Taylor/James Taylor)

Grieveson (Grieves)

Hoganson could be cool if he does Hulk Hogan celebrations when he scores

Liam Henderson is a new youth player, along with Michael Hoganson, Oliver Nicols, Dan Taylor, and two other players, who's first name I can't remember - Maddison & Grieveson.

Maddison and Grieveson seem to float between defense and Midfield

Though I've only seen them play a few minutes here and there, and don't think they're very old at all.

As for Folan, I've seen him play three or four times now, and each time its been in a different position - upfront, midfield and in defense, so I'm not sure if he's just a very versitile player, or if they're not sure where to play him. They seem to have settled him down at CB though, which is probably due to James Taylor and Matt Grieves getting on and nearly being too old to play (both 18).

Ferguson is looking light a bright prospect, and I don't think there's anyone who works harder then the little Irish winger currently at youth level (perhaps Phil Airey). The team always looks better with him in the side - works very well with Inman and Vuckic.

Folan looked good at centre half last night, thought him and Morris were excellent.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, he impressed me when I saw him there too, a few weeks ago, big strong lad.

Looks like Oliver Nicols is a product of the Arsenal youth system, so take it for what its worth.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to double check this one to make sure.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Because there's pictures of him playing for the Arsenal youth team? :p

Yeah, its Michael Hoganson and Sam Grieveson (who is a beastly looking player for someone U16)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

pictures where?? on .cock?

His facebook, the primary source for any Football Manager researcher! Still need to double check its the correct guy though, but he knows Nzuzi and Mogwo so it could be him. There's a slight change of spelling in his name (Ollie Nicholas) that makes me wonder.

pictures where?? on .cock?

His facebook, the primary source for any Football Manager researcher! Still need to double check its the correct guy though, but he knows Nzuzi and Mogwo so it could be him. There's a slight change of spelling in his name (Ollie Nicholas) that makes me wonder.

He quit Arsenal and went to Man City and was then released by City in March according to a few Arsenal blogs.

Could be bollocks but it's worth looking into.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

(Possibly Marcus) Maddison and (Sam) Grieveson seem to float between defense and Midfield

Just to correct myself, after further looking into it -

Sam Grieveson is a keeper from Norwich (so probably knows Max Johnson well) and looks like similar, build wise, to Neville Southall!

And it is Marcus Maddison, and he's actually a striker, so oops on that one! (Too young to appear in FM)

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=46440

He is my mate he plays for newcastle is 15 scored 26 goals at under 16 scored 14 at u 17 and 10 at u 18

look out he is a hot prospect

he has just singed a pro contract till he is 18 and he says celtic are intrested in him worth 55k and is only 15 has an adidas boot deal from west cornforth , co durham

Once again Newcaslte will be shown up!!! Ron Bone The Boro's Head of Academy Recruitment refers to Peter Kirkley as The Don. Steve Bruce has been back in the NE for two minutes & looking to tap into Peter vast knowledge.

“It was a coincidence that a month ago there was a Wallsend Boys’ Club side over here playing one of our teams because it had been arranged for a long time and I met (coach) Peter Kirkley, who has been doing it for the best part of 35 to 40 years, and it was nice to see him.

“Eventually when I get more settled I will invite Peter over for a cup of tea and thank him because let me tell you, he will know all the best players in this area bar none because nothing gets past Peter.

“The only thing is that he does a bit for the black and whites as well!” Bruce’s excellent record in the transfer market was one of the major reasons for Sunderland turning to the former Wigan boss to replace Sbragia, and his first forays into the transfer market have improved the Black Cats’ scope.

To think that moron Dickie Dosh is in the process of diminishing Peter role at the club which started last season by bringing in his own people & then telling the world what Peter is best at & likes doing. The continued problem at NUFC academy is they keep changing Academy Directors & the new one comes in thinks they know best rather than ask Peter what is wrong, how do they improve & get the best youngsters in this region to sign for NUFC.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Spot on to be fair, changed the Youth Setup way too many times over the last 20 years, but then we've changed ownership and management at the top too much too - so it filters down. HOPEFULLY, if the club is sold the new owner/chairman sits down and sets out a long term plan, with a separate model for the first team and the youth team, so if the 1st team fails, and a new manager is needed, the youth set up remains in place (if its doing well).

For all the changes Man City have had over the years, they've always kept Cassell on the youth team, and its started to produce some quality. Man U and Arsenal have had the same team for decades and you can see the results on the 1st team now. In contrast Chelsea have changed their setup far too much and they haven't produced any homegrown players for a while.

Most of their top youngsters have came from teams with a good track record (Southampton, Leeds, French clubs, etc).

Back to your point about Wallsend, I'm surprised the Toon hasn't tried to work up a better partnership with Wallsend, considered the links they've had over the last 30 years player wise.

Jim Smith listened to Wallsend a lot and we got Lee Clark and Steve Watson! It would be shocking if Sunderland got a march on the Toon by providing goals, or bibs or whatever in turn for reports on bright prospects.

---

Toon Youths v Derby today 1pm Training Ground

No idea of the team, but I think some of the younger U16/U15 will be on the bench again.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Toon Youth 3 - 1 Derby Youth

(Adjei, McDermott, Ameobi)

----------------Alnwick--------------------

Tavernier---Taylor---Folan--Dummet

------McDermott--McLaughlin----------

Adjei---------Newton----------Ameobi

------------Dan Taylor------------------

Bench: Johnson (GK), Leadbitter, Page, McGorrigan, Spear

Match report

All the goals came in the last 20 minutes, with the first half being a very frustrating affair for both teams with a lot of moves breaking down due to stray passes. Dan Taylor was playing up front alone, with Ameobi and Adjei on the flanks, both of which failed to link up with Taylor's holding up play.

Paul Dummet was injured in the first half after challenging a ball into touch. He was subsisted for Daniel Leadbitter, who swapped into Left Back and didn't look comfortable at all. Alnwick, back from injury, talked throughout the game keeping his defense aware, with Folan looking strong at CB, winning most headers in the air. James Tavernier, fresh from his 1st team debut, was on the right flank, and most of the 1st half's early attacks came from his deep runs into the opposition area.

Conner Newton, playing in the role that Haris Vuckic would usually adopt, had a good game and showed a bit of skill on the ball - which he rarely gave away. He was pretty much every where throughout the game, and never stopped working.

The 2nd Half came, along with another Newcastle subsitatution - Aaron Spear for Dan Taylor. Young Dan Taylor had done a good job in the lone striker role, and seems to have some bulk for a young lad. Held the ball up well, closed down players and linked up with Ameobi/Adjei on the rare occassions they got into a good position. He looked shattered when he came off, the unusually warm temperature probably not helping.

The introduction of Aaron Spear changed the game. Unlike Dan Taylor, Spear's naturally tendency to drop deep to get into the play allowed Adjei and Ameobi to get forward.

Newcastle's first goal came from the right hand side, Adjei and Tavernier linking up well outside the area. Adjei controlled the ball before bursting into the area, he took his goal well curling the ball around the keeper with the outside of his right foot.

Adjei was then involved in Newcastle's 2nd goal, as he raced onto a great curling through ball from young Aaron Spear. Adjei's first touch almost took it past the keeper, however he was able to get a hand onto it. Luckily the ball fell back to Adjei who showed composure, turned, looked up and played a simple ball to McDermott who was waiting 8 yards out in the center of goal to tap it home.

Spear was involved a lot since his arrival and he seemed desperate to score, with a few Rooney-esque right foot curling shots from the left hand side into the opposite corner. However, they were high and wide. Spear almost got on the score sheet after Adjei returned an earlier favour - again after chasing down a Spear throughball - as he crossed low from the right hand side into the path of Spear.

The Derby defender did enough to put Spear off and the ball zipped right across the area.

Newcastle's third goal from some nice passing play between Newton, Spear and McDermott, who played the final through ball on the edge of the area to let Ameobi through on goal for a simple finish. Derby tried to claim offside, but the linesmen wasn't having any of it.

Derby's goal eventually came, slightly against the run of play, however not totally unexpected due to how vulnerable Newcastle looked at the back today. Their number 10 got the ball on the edge of the area, and with some nice footwork took right three players before tapping it in. Newcastle didn't look strong in the tackle throughout the match and it finally showed.

A rare goal for Adjei, let's hope he starts to live up to his reputation (I don't know where his reputation came from  :lol:, but I'm sure he was highly rated before he came?).

Aye I remember hearing he was a whippet of a winger.