U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest Know_All

Don't think Max Johnson will be handed a pro deal. His kicking is terrible, not sure I've ever seen him make a save and doesn't seem very commanding on his back line. Physically he seems 'small for a keeper', though I think he's around 6'1" (so still has a few years to grow). If I'm holding that against Johnson, I've got to hold it against Jak Alnwick too, who seems really small and unopposing in the area at the moment (though he's a young 'un and will get better).

Out of the youth keepers I saw last year, I'd rate them:

1. Jak Alnwick

2. Max Johnson

3. Ben Robinson

Though Johnson is too old for the u18s now, and will probably be fighting Alnwick for the reserve games (unless Forster stays with us).

As for Aaron Spear he had such a stop start season, didn't feature that heavily at first, came of the bench for a few minutes here and there. Not sure I've seen him play a game as a natural striker, always seems to be used on the right or left of a front 'three' (4-5-1 with attacking wingers). You can see the technique that people were raving about, showed some lovely touches and vision to spread a pass.

But I think he'll need some heavy nurturing, has a natural anger/red mist to his game (ala Rooney) and picked up silly bookings (and a sending off) last season due to out right aggression/frustration coming into his game.

Hopefully he can rest up and get back to full fitness and returns to Newcastle. Reading his Facebook status was a bit worrying, and I felt sorry for the lad, but hopefully the comments were said due to his knee injury. The clips I saw of the Friendship Cup thingy were probably the best I've seen him play for us so far, which is probably the first solid run he was given too.

Always feel harsh giving opinions on the young uns like.

You can take Max Johnson out of the equation, he was released at the end of last season and is going to the states on a scholarship i think.

Guest geordienorway
Max Johnson Fantasy XI

Demirel Volkan

Pascal Chimbonda

Rio Ferdinand

John Terry

Patrice Evra

David Beckham

Lionel Messi

Kaka

Cristiano Ronaldo

Didier Drogba

Michael Owen

What the hell is Chimbonda doing there?  :lol:

Max Johnson Fantasy XI

Demirel Volkan

Pascal Chimbonda

Rio Ferdinand

John Terry

Patrice Evra

David Beckham

Lionel Messi

Kaka

Cristiano Ronaldo

Didier Drogba

Michael Owen

What the hell is Chimbonda doing there?  :lol:

And Owen....  :laugh2:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You can take Max Johnson out of the equation, he was released at the end of last season and is going to the states on a scholarship i think.

Finally something decent  :thup: I'm starting to think you're the rolly polly burley security guy that seems to have an ongoing war with 'The Teeth' girl that stalks Danny Guthrie.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

NUFC.COM

From The Birmingham Mail on Thursday - further details, confirmation and fixtures all awaited:

The Premier Reserve League competition will be split into three groups instead of two divisions next season. The Northern clubs will be split into two groups, A and B.

The leaders of Northern A and B will face each other in a one-off tie, with the victors playing a national play-off final against the Southern winners.

Southern Group: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United, Wolves.

Northern Group A: Bolton Wanderers, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Wigan Athletic.

Northern Group B: Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland.

If this is correct, then that means that four top-flight clubs won't be entering reserve sides in the competition: Fulham, Spurs, Birmingham City and Stoke City.

Pretty crazy, though was a lot of talk last season about Reserves being scrapped (not ours, just in general). Suppose clubs prefer to loan out their youngsters now, or arrange private games against selected opposition.

Guest Heneage

Finally something decent  :thup: I'm starting to think you're the rolly polly burley security guy that seems to have an ongoing war with 'The Teeth' girl that stalks Danny Guthrie.

I genuinely hate that girl.

As long as Know_All isn't the little bald twat security guard by the tunnel I'll be happy.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I genuinely hate that girl.

As long as Know_All isn't the little bald twat security guard by the tunnel I'll be happy.

Sounds like theres a story behind that....

Guest Heneage

He was just a bell end. He's about 5'3 and threatened to 'have me outside' if I didn't move. I wouldn't mind but my boss had told me to wait there after work to have a chat with him.

Spurs not having a stiffs team? They could probably have about four, not sure where all the promising youngsters are going to rot now.

They sent a crazy number of their kids out on loan last season so I presume they will be doing the same again meaning they don't want to compete in a Reserve League.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was just a bell end. He's about 5'3 and threatened to 'have me outside' if I didn't move. I wouldn't mind but my boss had told me to wait there after work to have a chat with him.

On his turf!

---

Yeah, Spurs loaned out a few players last season, so probably be the same again. Probably have private games too.

Guest Heneage

You wanna see him when you go autograph hunting, he goes mental!

I'd love for our academy to be upgraded. It seems from an outsiders view that there's some talent but not much organization.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You wanna see him when you go autograph hunting, he goes mental!

I'd love for our academy to be upgraded. It seems from an outsiders view that there's some talent but not much organization.

I think its getting there, but it'd be nice to keep an Academy Director longer then 18 months. I guess Joe Joyce is the only constant. Strong rumours that Steve Stone will step up to Reserve Manager.

Guest Heneage

I'd quite like a mini-overhaul personally, we have some fantastic facilities, the training ground is top 10 Premier League quality, we just need the coaches. The only one I've seen that I've thought yeah he's good is the goalkeeping coach Paul  Barron. The rest just seem jobs for the boys.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't mind the Geordie connection within the academy. Barron doesn't do much work at Academy level, they have their own coach now, but I can't find out his name (its not on the internal coach sheet in the changing room :()

I know his first name is Chris, and his second name beings with 'T'. Sounds like a Yorkshire bloke too.

Guest Heneage

I don't get why they can't all coach together. Or promote more reserves to train with the first team and do block training sessions of positions such as defenders midfielders, really specialize training.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

begins with 'T'. Sounds like a Yorkshire bloke too.

Theoretically could be anything then.

t'Smith

t'Jones

t'Mitchell

t'Evans

t'Stevens

etc

;D

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think we've rumbled 'Know_Alls' cover, Kezmen. He hasn't returned since! So he's either big fat burly 'Teeth Girl' chasing security guard at the academy, or the little anger baldy dwarf who hates Kezmens security guard of the tunnel at the stadium.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

All depends if Carver stays on staff or not, can't see the Toon paying compensation for a Reserve Team manager. I reckon, or for fans of NUFCblog - we reckon - It'll be someone not in a job or currently already on the books.

Guest Know_All

Think we've rumbled 'Know_Alls' cover, Kezmen. He hasn't returned since! So he's either big fat burly 'Teeth Girl' chasing security guard at the academy, or the little anger baldy dwarf who hates Kezmens security guard of the tunnel at the stadium.

You are absoultely nowhere near the mark guys

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You are absoultely nowhere near the mark guys

:shifty: