Cracking interview with Steven Taylor

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm completely undecided as to whether Taylor is a complete tit, or a refreshingly honest and down-to-earth bloke.

Or somewhere in between?

Taylor made his full league debut in 2005 at the tender age of 19. Since when hes had the opportunity to learn his trade by partnering Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Rozenthal and Cacapa. Hes also been regularly played out of position, and under at least five managers with differing approaches to the game. Its no surprise his decision making hasnt improved.

Taylor has all the attributes of a top centre half, except composure.  He tries too hard, unlike Bassong who just concentrates on the basics and looks all the better for it. Unfortunately for Taylor the senior pros at the club dont show any real leadership, and he feels compelled to step into the breach. Probably because he actually cares about what happens to NUFC.

Taylor has suffered because far too much has been asked of him. Bassong was utter garbage at left back, which is why he hasnt been asked to play their again. Taylor on the other hand makes a decent stab at playing out of position so gets asked to sacrifice his own development for the good of the team time and time again. 

Taylor gets a lot of unwarranted flack. Hes a good player with the right attitude, whod blossom at a stable club.  If NUFC is to a future we need hang on to players like Steven Taylor.

Without wishing to sound harsh, that's a load of rubbish.

No it's not.

What are "all the attributes" that Taylor has to be a top centre half?

Bassong being "utter garbage" at left back is a laugh as well. Him not playing there since probably has more to do with the fact that he's the best centre half at the club by a country mile and the best left back being fit.

I can tell you the attributes he's missing.

Pace, power, anticipation, positioning, the ability to head the ball where you want it to go, good distribution, the ability to have the respect of your fellow team mates and good distribution skills. He's canny at shirking responsibility though and pointing. I'll give him that.

Your getting him mixed up with Collocini.

No I think I know who I'm talking about thank you.

but no idea what youre talking about.

:lol:

Excellent. Still waiting for these attributes btw.

Tooj why do you even bother? Those of us with brains all know he's a bad defender

Guest Howaythetoon

He isn't a bad defender in the same way he isn't a shit footballer, he's just not the best but I'd say he's more than good enough for this team and the level we are at right now and since Beye's injury he has been one of our better players alongside Enrique and Bassong and to some extent Jonas.

Guest Heneage

You can call him s*** all you want but if it wasn't for him we'd be 4 points worse off right now.

you forgetting all the points he's cost us this season

You'll have to remind me mate if I'm honest. Nothing springs to mind.

Guest fading star

I'm completely undecided as to whether Taylor is a complete tit, or a refreshingly honest and down-to-earth bloke.

Or somewhere in between?

Taylor made his full league debut in 2005 at the tender age of 19. Since when he’s had the opportunity to learn his trade by partnering Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Rozenthal and Cacapa. He’s also been regularly played out of position, and under at least five managers with differing approaches to the game. It’s no surprise his decision making hasn‘t improved.

Taylor has all the attributes of a top centre half, except composure.  He tries too hard, unlike Bassong who just concentrates on the basics and looks all the better for it. Unfortunately for Taylor the senior pros at the club don’t show any real leadership, and he feels compelled to step into the breach. Probably because he actually cares about what happens to NUFC.

Taylor has suffered because far too much has been asked of him. Bassong was utter garbage at left back, which is why he hasn’t been asked to play their again. Taylor on the other hand makes a decent stab at playing out of position so gets asked to sacrifice his own development for the good of the team time and time again. 

Taylor gets a lot of unwarranted flack. He’s a good player with the right attitude, who‘d blossom at a stable club.  If NUFC is to a future we need hang on to players like Steven Taylor.

No it's not.

Bassong being "utter garbage" at left back is a laugh as well. Him not playing there since probably has more to do with the fact that he's the best centre half at the club by a country mile and the best left back being fit.

Pace, power, anticipation, positioning, the ability to head the ball where you want it to go, good distribution, the ability to have the respect of your fellow team mates and good distribution skills. He's canny at shirking responsibility though and pointing. I'll give him that.

but no idea what you’re talking about.

I didn’t see the point as you‘d obviously disagree and there’s no easy way of proving who’s right… but if it helps

ST is a good all rounder. He’s good in the air. He’s strong. He’s mobile. He can tackle. He’s got a decent first touch. His passing is more than adequate for a centre half. He doesn’t panic in possession. He doesn’t turn his back on shots (like Collocini) and he has a good attitude. And he chips in with a few goals.

Or somewhere in between?

Taylor made his full league debut in 2005 at the tender age of 19. Since when he’s had the opportunity to learn his trade by partnering Boumsong, Bramble, Moore, Onyewu, Rozenthal and Cacapa. He’s also been regularly played out of position, and under at least five managers with differing approaches to the game. It’s no surprise his decision making hasn‘t improved.

Taylor has all the attributes of a top centre half, except composure.  He tries too hard, unlike Bassong who just concentrates on the basics and looks all the better for it. Unfortunately for Taylor the senior pros at the club don’t show any real leadership, and he feels compelled to step into the breach. Probably because he actually cares about what happens to NUFC.

Taylor has suffered because far too much has been asked of him. Bassong was utter garbage at left back, which is why he hasn’t been asked to play their again. Taylor on the other hand makes a decent stab at playing out of position so gets asked to sacrifice his own development for the good of the team time and time again. 

Taylor gets a lot of unwarranted flack. He’s a good player with the right attitude, who‘d blossom at a stable club.  If NUFC is to a future we need hang on to players like Steven Taylor.

No it's not.

I didn’t see the point as you‘d obviously disagree and there’s no easy way of proving who’s right… but if it helps

ST is a good all rounder. He’s good in the air. He’s strong. He’s mobile. He can tackle. He’s got a decent first touch. His passing is more than adequate for a centre half. He doesn’t panic in possession. He doesn’t turn his back on shots (like Collocini) and he has a good attitude. And he chips in with a few goals.

he isn't mobile and his tackling is average at absolute best. His passing is shocking man, honestly

and a 'good all rounder' doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, which Taylor clearly does

Or somewhere in between?

No it's not.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Although I can't say I am in agreement.

He isn't as bad as some make out but isn't as good as others make out either.

He is an average young player, he has flaws in his game as all average players do. He isn't a terrible player but he looks more comfortable at right back.

He is good enough for our squad, nowhere near the quality of Beye but will do as a back up. We could do a lot worse given where we are at the moment.

In our squad he should be considered back up that is pushing for a first team place but is in no way a guaranteed first team starter. He could get better and could develop into a good player. He does need to start thinking "football" and not "I am the hero" which sometimes gets him into trouble.

I still have hope he can actually push on and get better but (and this isn't a "its everyone elses fault he isn't great excuse) he does need better players to help him get there.

Bassong looks a special talent and imo has a hell of a lot more potential to Taylor so its not really fair to compare the two, its like comparing a young Gareth Barry to a young Steven Gerrard. Both very good players but in reality Gerrard was always going to be a lot better than Barry.

Guest Howaythetoon

Taylor is better at attacking than Beye, he has more of an attacking instinct and more courage in the final 3rd than Beye has. He doesn't have the technique, skills or general ability of Beye but Taylor will look to take on his man and will at least try and get forward and to the byeline - this is courage. His instinct is to attack the ball, to drive forwards, to get in there and try and influence the game rather than get forward, pass to a team-mate, get back or get forward, wait for help or options, which is what Beye does.

As a right-back I think Taylor gives the team far more than he does as a centre-back and between the two, he gives us more going forward than Beye does, although defensively Taylor is prone to making mistakes. having said that, he hasn't made many since switching to the right and dealt with Ronaldo very well I though.

The obvious answer, for me anyway, keep Taylor there and put Beye on in place of Colo who frightens me. Against Hull he turned his back to the man on the ball time and time again and rarely stands his ground, plus he vacates that position of his an awful lot.

Guest fading star

Taylor and Bassong are only 22. Enrique is only a year a older. They’re just kids learning their trade and have all made mistakes this season. Collocini however is a pushing 30 and, as we’re constantly being reminded, plays for Argentina so must be great. He’s the man who should be leading by example, taking command of situations, organising the defence etc. Instead he’s just poncing around trying to look cultured and making loads of mistakes.

Why Taylor gets all the stick is a bit of mystery. Is it because he’s a local lad? Is it because he always acknowledges the supporters? Perhaps he should get a perm?

Collocini is only 26 isn't he? Maybe its because I am aswell but I would hardly call that "pushing 30". Some players take longer to settle into new environments than others, as others have said it took him a year to settle at Deportivo but when he did he was one of their best players. I am willing to give him a chance and not hound him out just because he hasn't instantly adapted.

Guest Howaythetoon

The more I try and analyse Taylor's game the more his weaknesses all start to point to something else and not any flaw in ability. Most of his mistakes and bad moments stem from impetuousness which the dictionary states as something "characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate."

Would that describe Taylor to you?

Fair play to him, he's done OK for the most part at RB

We'll notice a huge improvement when Habib comes back. Not just because of his defending, but because of his organisation and leadership. Taylor has done OK there.

Guest fading star

So probably got another 5-6 years of his career left and a year or two off his peak?

Maradona doesn’t seem to think so.

Personally I don’t think he’s going to adapt, but it was the differing attitudes towards him and Taylor I’m questioning.

So probably got another 5-6 years of his career left and a year or two off his peak?

Maradona doesnt seem to think so.

Personally I dont think hes going to adapt, but it was the differing attitudes towards him and Taylor Im questioning.

I think people go a little (sometimes a lot) over the top when they are laying into Taylor. He has had a lot of games in the league now though. I still think he is young and can improve. He would have been more suited to WWE though :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

As much as Colo frightens me I still hold out some hope that he will come good but that hope rests in the manager, coaches and team getting better more than Colo himself which I feel we'll require to see the best of him and that applies to several of our players such as Martins and Jonas for example. I don't want to bring KK into this or even want to talk about him but I think things would be very different for both Colo and Jonas in a KK side which is all about playing football on the floor and attacking which is always the best form of defence.

Guest fading star

The more I try and analyse Taylor's game the more his weaknesses all start to point to something else and not any flaw in ability. Most of his mistakes and bad moments stem from impetuousness which the dictionary states as something "characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate."

Would that describe Taylor to you?

Near enough. He’s always trying to force the issue and it gets him into trouble. He’s never going to be the kind of player who hides when the going gets tough, but he needs to find a balance between his natural game and a more measured approach.

He’s a decent player who gives a shit. Not many of those around.

Guest fading star

As much as Colo frightens me I still hold out some hope that he will come good but that hope rests in the manager, coaches and team getting better more than Colo himself which I feel we'll require to see the best of him and that applies to several of our players such as Martins and Jonas for example. I don't want to bring KK into this or even want to talk about him but I think things would be very different for both Colo and Jonas in a KK side which is all about playing football on the floor and attacking which is always the best form of defence.

Agreed. The kind of football we’ve been playing since KK left hasn’t suited either’s game. They’re push and run players, not hoof and chase.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s a decent player who gives a s***. Not many of those around.

Agreed. I don't mind him playing at RB nor having him as a squad player, wish we had more like him in terms of attitude anyway.