Michael Owen makes ends meet

hallihg

I still wish we'd have signed Anelka instead of Owen as do most. However him under Souness would have been a nightmare.

In retrospect, yes. Your second sentence is very much true as well.

When Owen came to the club I had probably never been so excited about a transfer before (apart from Shearer, although given how young I was then, it was different). The price seemed dodgy but I didn't care too much at the time. This was England's best striker, at a great age, and even with something to prove after a troubled time in Madrid. I knew he'd guarantee us goals (even playing for a manager as lacking as Souness is) but what I didn't know was how little he'd actually play for us. So yeah, things haven't worked out as I'd have hoped.

Guest DiegoNachos

I still wish we'd have signed Anelka instead of Owen as do most. However him under Souness would have been a nightmare.

In retrospect, yes. Your second sentence is very much true as well.

When Owen came to the club I had probably never been so excited about a transfer before (apart from Shearer, although given how young I was then, it was different). The price seemed dodgy but I didn't care too much at the time. This was England's best striker, at a great age, and even with something to prove after a troubled time in Madrid. I knew he'd guarantee us goals (even playing for a manager as lacking as Souness is) but what I didn't know was how little he'd actually play for us. So yeah, things haven't worked out as I'd have hoped.

Agreed mate, that's a very valid point.

What alot of people seem to forget is Michael Owen started out as a wonderkid. People thought he had years upon years of goals in him and at his current standard based on his injury record etc. he's scored about two years worth of goals his whole career. Match that up to the fact the lad is what? Only 28-29? And you realise he's not playing what he's paid. It seems a bit over the top to complain about the fact he's being paid a ton but realistically, how would anyone feel if someone was hired into your company on the basis of being good at a previous job and got paid a ton more than you just because of that when his standard is actually pretty average? I for one would be pissed.

I love how people act all upset about how much money Owen has earned since being here in wages and what not as if it's coming out of their own back pocket, when in reality they couldn't give a shit.

People aren't pretending :lol:  A lot of people really are annoyed at the ludicrous money he earns for doing very little.  Also where do you think most of the clubs money comes from?

Guest BooBoo

Should be a nice little incentive for Owen. If he bags the goals to keep us up, he might (just might) not go down as one of the most overpaid waste of time's in the club's history and can scuttle off with something approaching dignity.

Should be a nice little incentive for Owen. If he bags the goals to keep us up, he might (just might) not go down as one of the most overpaid waste of time's in the club's history and can scuttle off with something approaching dignity.

**** me.  You been watching Newcastle for more than three seasons?  There have been tens of players in the Premiership era alone who have been more of a waste of time, Owen's goals this season are keeping us out of the relegation zone, and kept us in the division last season.