Financial meltdown?

Guest Wally_McFool

Guest toonlass

I cannot believe that NE5 thought that the last year of the Shepherd and Hall era was brilliant. We were consistantly poor, the fans were continuously disgruntled. Freddy Shepherd had clearly lost all control of the club. And yet because it happened to be better than the McKeag era 15 years previous it is excusable! What a load of tripe. We were already part of the way down the road we are on now under Ashley. Like I said earlier, this in no way excuses Ashley for failing to turn this around, but NE5 has to have been blind or asleep if he cannot see that Fred's last season in charge was terrible.

I cannot believe that NE5 thought that the last year of the Shepherd and Hall era was brilliant. We were consistantly poor, the fans were continuously disgruntled. Freddy Shepherd had clearly lost all control of the club. And yet because it happened to be better than the McKeag era 15 years previous it is excusable! What a load of tripe. We were already part of the way down the road we are on now under Ashley. Like I said earlier, this in no way excuses Ashley for failing to turn this around, but NE5 has to have been blind or asleep if he cannot see that Fred's last season in charge was terrible.

:lol:

was that intentional?  as a piss take?

tell me where I said it was brilliant ?

With hindsight though - and someone like you shouldn't really need this - it was better than the current situation, and better than the vast majority of the years before the Halls and Shepherd too. That's my point.

was that intentional?  as a piss take?

she won't find me saying that  :lol:

Guest toonlass

With hindsight though - and someone like you shouldn't really need this - it was better than the current situation, and better than the vast majority of the years before the Halls and Shepherd too. That's my point.

Is that a dig?

The appointment of Shearer and the removal of Wise (I think it's pretty fucking obvious that was Shearer's terms) is a massive step forward for the Ashley regime IMO. Shearer isn't the type to take shit, and he's already made it pretty clear in the press that he's in charge. He's also said that they accept the mistakes they've made, and this is the key to our future. If the club is not to be sold, Ashley must learn from the mistakes.

Hopefully we'll stay up this season, and if so then there is absolutely no excuse for us not to start progressing properly from now. The financial issues will start to become less of a problem, we'll have a strong manager in charge and no summer tournament to stand in the way of transfer plans.

Ashley has made a monumental fuckup of this season and his gamble is looking perilous, but if it pays off we can then start to move forward.

dunno like dave, accepting his mistakes is one thing but finding the finances is another eh?

if we have the same set of players next year we'll struggle again, simple as that (although maybe not as badly)

3 bites on the worst chairman ever thing. im getting good at this  :smug:

poor.

I'd prefer to be right, which of course I am.

why is it so important to be right?

it isn't, I would rather have been wrong about Ashley and Keegan, but why is it so important to get a "bite"

The appointment of Shearer and the removal of Wise (I think it's pretty fucking obvious that was Shearer's terms) is a massive step forward for the Ashley regime IMO. Shearer isn't the type to take shit, and he's already made it pretty clear in the press that he's in charge. He's also said that they accept the mistakes they've made, and this is the key to our future. If the club is not to be sold, Ashley must learn from the mistakes.

Hopefully we'll stay up this season, and if so then there is absolutely no excuse for us not to start progressing properly from now. The financial issues will start to become less of a problem, we'll have a strong manager in charge and no summer tournament to stand in the way of transfer plans.

Ashley has made a monumental fuckup of this season and his gamble is looking perilous, but if it pays off we can then start to move forward.

its never too late, in spite of the huge damage. I can't see it happening, but I hope so.

3 bites on the worst chairman ever thing. im getting good at this  :smug:

poor.

I'd prefer to be right, which of course I am.

why is it so important to be right?

it isn't, I would rather have been wrong about Ashley and Keegan, but why is it so important to get a "bite"

good question

dunno like dave, accepting his mistakes is one thing but finding the finances is another eh?

if we have the same set of players next year we'll struggle again, simple as that (although maybe not as badly)

Totally agree. I'm just saying that whilst nothing excuses Ashley's decisions this season, the state of the finances must have contributed to the lack of transfer funds. It just stands to reason.

The finances should be better after this season (if we stay up...), so that's one more thing to build upon.

Is that a dig?

if you take it to mean that someone like you should have realised that we weren't one of the 90%+ of clubs with shite, unambitious  directors anymore when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club, then yes I suppose it is.

Totally agree. I'm just saying that whilst nothing excuses Ashley's decisions this season, the state of the finances must have contributed to the lack of transfer funds. It just stands to reason.

The finances should be better after this season (if we stay up...), so that's one more thing to build upon.

i just dream of this summer being the one where a competent manager with a brain and a little financial backing forces duff, smith, sholagoals, butt, viduka & owen out of the club and replaces them with new guys who actually contribute something to >50% of the season (an arbitrary figure that could have been lower tbh, half of those fucking wasters barely reach 10%)

just think how little these players contribute on the pitch!!  it's truly, truly staggering

:kinnear:

i just dream of this summer being the one where a competent manager with a brain and a little financial backing forces duff, smith, sholagoals, butt, viduka & owen out of the club and replaces them with new guys who actually contribute something to >50% of the season (an arbitrary figure that could have been lower tbh, half of those fucking wasters barely reach 10%)

just think how little these players contribute on the pitch!!  it's truly, truly staggering

:kinnear:

I agree with that, but unfortunately quality attacking players cost the most money, and you just won't do it shopping around for bargains ie you won't get enough of them to give you a quality side.

Guest toonlass

Is that a dig?

if you take it to mean that someone like you should have realised that we weren't one of the 90%+ of clubs with shite, unambitious  directors anymore when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club, then yes I suppose it is.

I find your insinuation that I am a liar extremely offensive. Please stop.

Is that a dig?

I didn't, but rather than contradict yourself, point out where I said the last season under the Halls and Shepherd was "brilliant"

Guest toonlass

Is that a dig?

I didn't, but rather than contradict yourself, point out where I said the last season under the Halls and Shepherd was "brilliant"

Unfortunately I am unable to make any reply to this comment for fear it will be misconstrued. I will just repeat, do not insinuate that I am a liar. Thank you.

Is that a dig?

Unfortunately I am unable to make any reply to this comment for fear it will be misconstrued. I will just repeat, do not insinuate that I am a liar. Thank you.

I didn't, but don't say I said the last season was "brilliant" when I didn't, but don't worry about it, I won't go crying that you're a liar for doing it.

Better than the current situation? Was it fuck!?

Both situations are as dire as each other as we could all see the massive nose dive we were taking back then. It takes a bit longer to fall from the top. You don't hit the ground immediately do you!? The position we find ourselves in was coming regardless of Ashley. We had no more money. Of course Ashley the moron has made some serious errors in judgment and compounded the situation even further.

It's all shit I tell ya.

Both situations are as dire as each other as we could all see the massive nose dive we were taking back then. It takes a bit longer to fall from the top. You don't hit the ground immediately do you!? The position we find ourselves in was coming regardless of Ashley. We had no more money. Of course Ashley the moron has made some serious errors in judgment and compounded the situation even further.

It's all shit I tell ya.

That's the fundamental issue behind this discussion; from what I can see NE5 doesn't believe that we were heading downwards before Ashley came in. Fair enough - that's his opinion and he's entitled to it - but considering the job Allardyce did, I can't see how we'd have done any better with him having even less to spend. He was shite and was taking us down.

It's all shit I tell ya.

rubbish. They were ambitious, Ashley is not, or hasn't shown it. That is why we are where we are. He's made profits in transfer windows while watching us go down, the last board would never have done that. The only person to blame is Mike Ashley, and nobody else. The approach he has will NEVER, EVER, match those european qualifications of his predecessors.

Would Allardyce on a shoe-string budget have matched those European qualifications? We're talking here about the state of the club at the time of the takeover, not three years before it.

Ambition is great. Having no money isn't.

Guest toonlass

Appointing Allardyce could in no ways be seen to be ambitious. We would have already spent a year in the championship had he been allowed to stay on.

Appointing Allardyce could in no ways be seen to be ambitious. We would have already spent a year in the championship had he been allowed to stay on.

choosing a new manager to setup a new direction for the club, who pretty much was acknowledged by most people in the game to be ready for a job at one of the big clubs, isn't ambitious ?

HTT has also made an excellent post commenting on this.

I hope you don't twist this and make up any more lies again ....... 

For some reason it seems that:

Shepherd taking stock of the awful state of the finances and doing something about it = :thup:

Ashley taking stock of the awful state of the finances and doing something about it = :thdn:

Now I'm not going to say Ashley has gone about it the right way. He's gone too far, and our Premier League status is under major and unacceptable threat. But something had to be done, whether it was Shepherd or Ashley. At the time of the takeover we were an average football team with crippling finances - this is undeniable.