Shearer Bans Toon Players

Guest Mantis

Guest Stephen927

It can be a boring life being a footballer, most days you finish training in the afternoon then have nothing to do for the rest of the day.

Our players should have social activities like some of the Spanish players have (they watch classic movies one night every week).

I wasn't trying to compare them, I just thought it had been tried before. Can't see any of the players defying Shearer, tbh.

Haven't seen any of your contributions elsewhere on the board. I'm curious to know what you think of everything that has transpired here as a liverpool fan. I'm quite sure you're quaking in your boots as far as the title goes. Peter Lovenkrands > Fernando Torres lyke

To be honest, it seems to keep getting worse and worse for you every time I think it should get better. I can't believe you're in the relegation zone. I thought the RELEGATIONOMETER was a joke when it went up. I think NUFC fans will not tolerate negative, defence-minded football, so despite the silverware that Houllier and Benitez have brought to Liverpool, I don't think either of them would have survived at SJP, because of their style of play.

The only thing Liverpool fans really care about is winning that bloody league again, and we have a huge tolerance for tedious football as long as we're getting the points. It's different here, though.

I've always thought Newcastle's problems were down to rotten executive management. It's the same at Schalke just up the road: consistent underachievement relative to spending, and it's because incompetent executives hire incompetent managers who spend too much money, which would be better spent elsewhere anyway, on players who aren't good enough.

(And regarding Schalke, their squad is so full of dross, you'd be mad to buy any player they want shot of, i.e. Løvenkrands.)

I thought Ashley might sort that out: being a successful businessman, he'd probably know to bring in good people and let them get on with their job. It appears he's not that sophisticated, though, and he seems to have made a string of bad decisions. Still, it's hard to think of many examples of football club owners/chairmen who are paddling with all their oars in the water. Villa seems to be a very well-run club.

Re: Liverpool, I'm probably the last person who'd give a neutral opinion, but I can't see you winning the league under Rafa. Partly down to Man Utd's strangehold, partly down to Benitez's chopping and changing (although signs this season that he's trying to be a bit more consistent it seems), and partly down to overly frequent defeats to no-rate sides. I can however seeing you win the CL again this season (sigh). Why do you think it is that you seem to have the edge in Europe, and regularly get far; is it Benitez's European know-how?

I think this is a good move by Shearer, pure common sense really. The players seemed to be doing whatever the hell they wanted under Kinnear and Hughton.

I don't see why not. Obviously, the ball's in Man Utd's court, as they are already ahead and can outspend us twice over, but we are making progress every season under Rafa. Sure, we lose the odd game we really should win (who doesn't?), but Rafa is right to rest players when he does because it's always given us a squad that is hitting peak form at the sharp end of the season. We need better backup, as Chelsea and Man Utd have. In particular, this season we've beaten Chelsea and Man Utd home and away, having got virtually nothing from those games in previous seasons under Rafa.

I think our success in Europe is largely down to the combination of Rafa's tactical nouse and English tempo. You have to play possession football in Europe. Rafa spends a lot of time preparing the side tactically for European matches, and his game plans are the reason we beat teams with supposedly better players time and time again. The flipside, I guess, is that meticulous tactics don't help against sides whose game plan is to park the bus, and we need to just get stuck into Prem sides the way we did into Real. Anfield can also be a deciding factor when the second leg is there, and all British fans turn European finals into home games.

I wasn't trying to compare them, I just thought it had been tried before. Can't see any of the players defying Shearer, tbh.

Haven't seen any of your contributions elsewhere on the board. I'm curious to know what you think of everything that has transpired here as a liverpool fan. I'm quite sure you're quaking in your boots as far as the title goes. Peter Lovenkrands > Fernando Torres lyke

To be honest, it seems to keep getting worse and worse for you every time I think it should get better. I can't believe you're in the relegation zone. I thought the RELEGATIONOMETER was a joke when it went up. I think NUFC fans will not tolerate negative, defence-minded football, so despite the silverware that Houllier and Benitez have brought to Liverpool, I don't think either of them would have survived at SJP, because of their style of play.

The only thing Liverpool fans really care about is winning that bloody league again, and we have a huge tolerance for tedious football as long as we're getting the points. It's different here, though.

I've always thought Newcastle's problems were down to rotten executive management. It's the same at Schalke just up the road: consistent underachievement relative to spending, and it's because incompetent executives hire incompetent managers who spend too much money, which would be better spent elsewhere anyway, on players who aren't good enough.

(And regarding Schalke, their squad is so full of dross, you'd be mad to buy any player they want shot of, i.e. Løvenkrands.)

I thought Ashley might sort that out: being a successful businessman, he'd probably know to bring in good people and let them get on with their job. It appears he's not that sophisticated, though, and he seems to have made a string of bad decisions. Still, it's hard to think of many examples of football club owners/chairmen who are paddling with all their oars in the water. Villa seems to be a very well-run club.

I'm sorry, I cant agree with that. The restof your post is a good one, but not that bit, like. If we were playing direct, drab(ish) football BUT were still getting results and moving up the table/progressing in cups etc. then whoever it is managing us would be tolerated. Afterall, its results that move you up the league- not style of play.

For too many years now have we had a combination of shit football and shit results. When those two mix the manager hasnt a chance. Example: Allardyce

As for Shearer- Good man, Alan! Bout fucking time these buggers get a kick up the arse! They could do what they wanted under Houghton, but now things are different....thnakfully.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Obviously, I don't know anywhere near as much about it as you, and I didn't see many of the games under Allardyce, but points-wise, he was no worse than Roeder. Still, he was no great shakes, either.