Shearer Bans Toon Players

Guest Mantis

Guest optimistic nit

i get the feeling most people are praising this decision just because its shearer. its still a good move to ban them until the end of the season, but it could go either way with the squad take it.

i get the feeling most people are praising this decision just because its shearer.

Not really, team building exercises are vital if team spirit is lacking. And players may rebel against strict regimes if they feel the person trying to enforce them hasn't 'earned' the right to do so, in this case I think they will be happy to comply because it is Shearer.

I wasn't trying to compare them, I just thought it had been tried before. Can't see any of the players defying Shearer, tbh.

Haven't seen any of your contributions elsewhere on the board. I'm curious to know what you think of everything that has transpired here as a liverpool fan. I'm quite sure you're quaking in your boots as far as the title goes. Peter Lovenkrands > Fernando Torres lyke

To be honest, it seems to keep getting worse and worse for you every time I think it should get better. I can't believe you're in the relegation zone. I thought the RELEGATIONOMETER was a joke when it went up. I think NUFC fans will not tolerate negative, defence-minded football, so despite the silverware that Houllier and Benitez have brought to Liverpool, I don't think either of them would have survived at SJP, because of their style of play.

The only thing Liverpool fans really care about is winning that bloody league again, and we have a huge tolerance for tedious football as long as we're getting the points. It's different here, though.

I've always thought Newcastle's problems were down to rotten executive management. It's the same at Schalke just up the road: consistent underachievement relative to spending, and it's because incompetent executives hire incompetent managers who spend too much money, which would be better spent elsewhere anyway, on players who aren't good enough.

(And regarding Schalke, their squad is so full of dross, you'd be mad to buy any player they want shot of, i.e. Løvenkrands.)

I thought Ashley might sort that out: being a successful businessman, he'd probably know to bring in good people and let them get on with their job. It appears he's not that sophisticated, though, and he seems to have made a string of bad decisions. Still, it's hard to think of many examples of football club owners/chairmen who are paddling with all their oars in the water. Villa seems to be a very well-run club.

Lets hope the likes of Martins dont take the hump with him over this.

Don't care me (although I guess we need him for the run-in), in the long term I'll be glad that players desperate to party rather than play do leave.

I wasn't trying to compare them, I just thought it had been tried before. Can't see any of the players defying Shearer, tbh.

Haven't seen any of your contributions elsewhere on the board. I'm curious to know what you think of everything that has transpired here as a liverpool fan. I'm quite sure you're quaking in your boots as far as the title goes. Peter Lovenkrands > Fernando Torres lyke

To be honest, it seems to keep getting worse and worse for you every time I think it should get better. I can't believe you're in the relegation zone. I thought the RELEGATIONOMETER was a joke when it went up. I think NUFC fans will not tolerate negative, defence-minded football, so despite the silverware that Houllier and Benitez have brought to Liverpool, I don't think either of them would have survived at SJP, because of their style of play.

The only thing Liverpool fans really care about is winning that bloody league again, and we have a huge tolerance for tedious football as long as we're getting the points. It's different here, though.

I've always thought Newcastle's problems were down to rotten executive management. It's the same at Schalke just up the road: consistent underachievement relative to spending, and it's because incompetent executives hire incompetent managers who spend too much money, which would be better spent elsewhere anyway, on players who aren't good enough.

(And regarding Schalke, their squad is so full of dross, you'd be mad to buy any player they want shot of, i.e. Løvenkrands.)

I thought Ashley might sort that out: being a successful businessman, he'd probably know to bring in good people and let them get on with their job. It appears he's not that sophisticated, though, and he seems to have made a string of bad decisions. Still, it's hard to think of many examples of football club owners/chairmen who are paddling with all their oars in the water. Villa seems to be a very well-run club.

Re: Liverpool, I'm probably the last person who'd give a neutral opinion, but I can't see you winning the league under Rafa. Partly down to Man Utd's strangehold, partly down to Benitez's chopping and changing (although signs this season that he's trying to be a bit more consistent it seems), and partly down to overly frequent defeats to no-rate sides. I can however seeing you win the CL again this season (sigh). Why do you think it is that you seem to have the edge in Europe, and regularly get far; is it Benitez's European know-how?

I think this is a good move by Shearer, pure common sense really. The players seemed to be doing whatever the hell they wanted under Kinnear and Hughton.

I think this is a good move by Shearer, pure common sense really. The players seemed to be doing whatever the hell they wanted under Kinnear and Hughton.

If only! They seemed more like they didn't know what the hell to do. On the pitch, that is.

I'm sorry, I cant agree with that. The restof your post is a good one, but not that bit, like. If we were playing direct, drab(ish) football BUT were still getting results and moving up the table/progressing in cups etc. then whoever it is managing us would be tolerated. Afterall, its results that move you up the league- not style of play.

For too many years now have we had a combination of shit football and shit results. When those two mix the manager hasnt a chance. Example: Allardyce

As for Shearer- Good man, Alan! Bout fucking time these buggers get a kick up the arse! They could do what they wanted under Houghton, but now things are different....thnakfully.

I'm sorry, I cant agree with that. The restof your post is a good one, but not that bit, like. If we were playing direct, drab(ish) football BUT were still getting results and moving up the table/progressing in cups etc. then whoever it is managing us would be tolerated. Afterall, its results that move you up the league- not style of play.

For too many years now have we had a combination of shit football and shit results. When those two mix the manager hasnt a chance. Example: Allardyce

As for Shearer- Good man, Alan! Bout fucking time these buggers get a kick up the arse! They could do what they wanted under Houghton, but now things are different....thnakfully.

aye, ridiculous to suggest Benitez or Houllier wouldn't last here. it's only if we finished in mid-table that the style of play would be brought into question. but it's a common misconception about newcastle fans. the way i see it the desire for attacking football is directly related to the lack of success, underachievement is so built into our psyche that the best thing we think we can expect is a bit of nice football. people who dont understand say we're too demaning but in reality we're probably not demanding enough.

I can see Shearer being fairly strict, like....but I cant see him being Roy Keane strict and end up turning everyone on him- he's not that type of guy.

But I think he will be looking to ruffle a few feathers during his first couple of weeks at the club, just to stamp his authority on the place.

Shouldn't be drinking at all.

They are Athletes. Off season, sure. The odd one sure. But going out, and binge drinking? Fuck off.

I'm agree. Absolutely no need whatsoever for it.

Shouldn't be drinking at all.

They are Athletes. Off season, sure. The odd one sure. But going out, and binge drinking? f*** off.

In fairness to the poor sods, they're treated like slaves. They need to relax every second night....

Guest elbee909

There's not much need for binge-drinking, full-stop, but that won't stop half the boozy ivory tower brigade on here sitting on their high horses, casting the first stones while planning to go out and get rat-arsed tonight.

If you go outside sports such as Football and Rugby, and to sports (dunno the names, but still) in the winter and summer olympics, like running and skiing, if you even have a beer you're booted off the team as you're an athlete and always need to be on top of your form.

Yes. If Ferguson wasn't so strict, maybe he'd have as many titles as Benitez.

It's a joke that it has to be said at all. Unless you can go through a season without injury, you can't justify drinking full stop.

I'd be a little narked at paying my employee £50k+ for him to sit on his arse because he wont take care of his body.

There's not much need for binge-drinking, full-stop, but that won't stop half the boozy ivory tower brigade on here sitting on their high horses, casting the first stones while planning to go out and get rat-arsed tonight.

Well those people are not professional athletes who should be on top of their game each day.

Well those people are not professional athletes who should be on top of their game each day.

And those people don't get paid to be on the top of their game everyday. It's an idiotic comparison, and not at all hypocritical.

Trying-to-say-something-incisive-and-provocative fail.

If you go outside sports such as Football and Rugby, and to sports (dunno the names, but still) in the winter and summer olympics, like running and skiing, if you even have a beer you're booted off the team as you're an athlete and always need to be on top of your form.

Was saying this to me father this morning. I dont see why football should be an exception.....just because they earn much more money doesnt give them the right to fuck about.