Shay Given - Games are running out for Newcastle

NG32

I wonder how many of those criticising Shay for 'walking out on us' would cream in their jeans if the serial bottler Keegan ever wanted to come back?

As for Shay I admire the guys patience for sticking with us for so long.

:lol:

Serial bottler, ha ha. Pull the other one princess.

You are able to count aren't you?

Instead of giving all your bile to someone who saved us more goals than Shearer ever scored for 'walking out' once, save a bit for the guy who walked out on us twice.

Its not that bad an argument tbh. Think the only difference is keegan leaving us when we still had a chance of doing something this season, he did it early so we hada chance to recover. Given left when we'd already cocked the recovery up & left us right in it.

Don't blame the manager/wise/board for not signing/scouting a replacement though. They only knew he wanted to leave a month.

Why would anyone not blame them. This isnt a "List everything you blame for newcastles horrific season" thread, its about Given.

So how did he "leave us right in it" then?

Pretty sure we went through this.

I find it amusing to remember the thread from his departure - I'd say maybe only 30-40% of people were saying "Fuck Shay" This time around it's closer to 90%. I'll say what I said then - "Fuck Shay" :lol:

I still don't despise him, just think he should have waited until the end of the season to do us over.

so next time MCFC come to SJP, will people be booing Shay or applauding him?

I'm going to shit in a cup and chuck it on him.

IF we are in the same division................

quite sad - some of these replies.

Quite simply, a footballer looks after himself, the same as me and you.

If he realises he is playing for a shit club, and wants to bale out for that reason, he's quite entitled to. And its up to the club to ask themselves why and get their house in order.

I couldn't imagine to see the response if we sold 3 local lads who all went on to play for England. Nobody blamed them for wanting to leave either, even though one of them waved in front of the Kop denied he was leaving and is now considered a hero in spite of it.

agree with NE5. bit of a wierd analogy but if the pub i work became short staffed and then someone decided to offer me a better job, i wouldnt feel any loyalty to them  :lol: especially as theyre taxing me at 20% when i only work 1 day a week the bastards

agree with NE5. bit of a wierd analogy but if the pub i work became short staffed and then someone decided to offer me a better job, i wouldnt feel any loyalty to them  :lol: especially as theyre taxing me at 20% when i only work 1 day a week the bastards

No, its a rubbish analogy.

You dont work in front of crowds of 50k every 2 weeks or represent a city.

Can't believe the amount of gip Given is getting here. I, for one, will be applauding him should we ever play against him again. Obviously my applause will be drowned out by the boos of the bitter.

And therein lies the clue to why so many are pissed off with his comments in the Guardian today. Shay could have been the difference to us being in the Premier League next season and not. No-one wants his "prayers" for us to stay up, would have preferred him to stick out 5 months inbetween the sticks for us, and then moving on. If you cannot understand that then sobeit.

I wanted him to stay too but the abuse he's getting for leaving a joke. Why should he have stayed? We had a abysmal caretaker manager, s**** players, no chance of silverwear, a captain that wants to leave, a farce of a board but he's a t*** for leaving? looking like relegation?

Is that not the time to dig in and see us through? At least til the end of the season.

He just appeared in man city training ground with a big smile on his face.

Its ok Shay, we'll face our destiny with out you.  coward.

no chance that he thought harper was an able deputy and the money the club would get from his sale could be reinvested into our first team and help the fight then gimp?

he didn't do our f***ing negotiating for us man...or decide what the club spent on players (or didn't spend) - had we got 10m for him and spent it well on two players i doubt many people would chelping like this

like the way you're sure what was going through his head though, which was terror and fear, being a coward like eh?

He bailed out, makes him a coward.

Can't believe the amount of gip Given is getting here. I, for one, will be applauding him should we ever play against him again. Obviously my applause will be drowned out by the boos of the bitter.

And therein lies the clue to why so many are pissed off with his comments in the Guardian today. Shay could have been the difference to us being in the Premier League next season and not. No-one wants his "prayers" for us to stay up, would have preferred him to stick out 5 months inbetween the sticks for us, and then moving on. If you cannot understand that then sobeit.

I wanted him to stay too but the abuse he's getting for leaving a joke. Why should he have stayed? We had a abysmal caretaker manager, s**** players, no chance of silverwear, a captain that wants to leave, a farce of a board but he's a t*** for leaving? looking like relegation?

Is that not the time to dig in and see us through? At least til the end of the season.

no chance that he thought harper was an able deputy and the money the club would get from his sale could be reinvested into our first team and help the fight then gimp?

he didn't do our f***ing negotiating for us man...or decide what the club spent on players (or didn't spend) - had we got 10m for him and spent it well on two players i doubt many people would chelping like this

like the way you're sure what was going through his head though, which was terror and fear, being a coward like eh?

no, it doesn't. He's bettering himself, whether you can accept that or not. Its true.

eh ?

no, it doesn't. He's bettering himself, whether you can accept that or not. Its true.

We are looking at relegation, he knew this, he bottled it and left.  Didn;t have the stomach for a fight so fucked off like a rat up a drain pipe. 

Fucking coward.

Guest toonlass

What if the pub that you had worked in for ten years wasn't really short staffed though, and you were the best barman there. And all of a sudden a bar which was just about the same as the bar you were working in attracted your attention as they had been taken over by a rich businessman. So you go and work there instead, after making noises in public that you would really like to work there etc and that you couldn't cope working in the pub you were currently at. So off you toddle to the new pub, and they are still kinda "meh", and you see your old place of work slowly going down the pan. You knew that had you stayed at the pub then there could have been the chance that the pub wouldn't go under, after all you were the best barman there, and had loads of influence and kept up the morale of other workers etc. Would you go into the pub that was going under and say to all the regulars (who loved the pub and couldn't imagine drinking anywhere else) "I am now at this other pub, but I hope to God you don't go under." and not expect some of the regulars to say "Fuck off you twat, you walked away from us when we needed you."

I think to many fanboys on here carry a hard on for Shay.

Best keeper we've had arguably, our second highest ever appearance maker - not hard to see why

And then quit.

Guest toonlass

Hey I don't mind admitting that I hate seeing Shay in a Man Citeh shirt. It feels so odd to see him turning out for another team. But like Jayson says his actions contradict his words.

What if the pub that you had worked in for ten years wasn't really short staffed though, and you were the best barman there. And all of a sudden a bar which was just about the same as the bar you were working in attracted your attention as they had been taken over by a rich businessman. So you go and work there instead, after making noises in public that you would really like to work there etc and that you couldn't cope working in the pub you were currently at. So off you toddle to the new pub, and they are still kinda "meh", and you see your old place of work slowly going down the pan. You knew that had you stayed at the pub then there could have been the chance that the pub wouldn't go under, after all you were the best barman there, and had loads of influence and kept up the morale of other workers etc. Would you go into the pub that was going under and say to all the regulars (who loved the pub and couldn't imagine drinking anywhere else) "I am now at this other pub, but I hope to God you don't go under." and not expect some of the regulars to say "Fuck off you twat, you walked away from us when we needed you."

and if the pub you left was rapidly heading down the tubes faster than you can say "Weatherspoons" ? And all the staff who you left behind, and the customers, knew it ?

Hey I don't mind admitting that I hate seeing Shay in a Man Citeh shirt. It feels so odd to see him turning out for another team. But like Jayson says his actions contradict his words.

now then toonlass............shades of Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley here, wouldn't you agree ? Hasn't happened for a number of years, wouldn't you agree ?

now then toonlass............shades of Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley here, wouldn't you agree ? Hasn't happened for a number of years, wouldn't you agree ?

NUFC was a selling club back then.

We are an established prem side with big crowds and TV money.

Guest toonlass

Absolutely. And it felt shit then and it feels shit now.