Fat Sheperd trades a day's rest for 0.25m!!!!

Guest sharath

Guest sharath

According to at least one Sunday broadsheet, it was the Toon chairman himself who ruled that an extra £250,000 from Sky to cover Saturday's night shambles was of greater import than an extra day's rest for the first-team squad after Thursday's UEFA Cup tie in Italy.

"All over the pitch we were a yard or two slower," commented Glenn Roeder. "You have to look for reasons when the performance is as poor as that, and less than 49 hours ago we were playing in Italy. I'm not saying that is the reason, but it certainly hasn't helped."

The priorities motivating Shepherd's decision to accept Sky's cash are as questionable as the business transaction in 1998 which saw Shepherd Offshore plc sell a warehouse to Freddie's brother, Bruce, for £175,000. Newcastle United plc then completed a 17-year deal with Bruce Shepherd for the warehouse to store the club's merchandise at a cost of £2.5m.

How Toon could do with that sum now. For one thing, Shepherd has believed to have a clause in his contract stipulating that he will receive two years' pay if dismissed. Or, in other words, around £2m. And as Shepherd implicitly confirmed last month when he revealed that the club had recorded pre-tax losses of £12m, that's money Newcastle simply don't possess.

Is this true?????  bluebigeek.gif

Guest sharath

I thought it was the FA refusing to move our game. bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif

as far as I know all the teams involved in uefa cup matches are scheduled to play on sunday. Thats what I have thought till now.

"Roeder admitted the decision to face the Blades less than 48 hours after Newcastle's Uefa Cup fixture at Palermo in order to collect a six-figure TV payment from Sky had not helped his side's efforts, although six of those who started on Saturday evening did not feature in Sicily."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=shepherd-in-blast-at-his-stars%26method=full%26objectid=18050064%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

"You have to look for reasons when the performance is as poor as that, and less than 49 hours ago we were playing in Italy. I'm not saying that is the reason, but it certainly hasn't helped."

Sure this has already been said, but he made six changes anyway for fucks sake.

Guest Gemmill

From what I can gather, we could have put the game back, and Sheffield United offered to play on Sunday but we turned it down to take Sky's $$$.  I didn't think that this was big news though, I thought everyone knew about it.

I'm pretty sure we could have put the Carling Cup game back to the Wednesday as well if we'd tried, but the money from Sky was too important.

Guest sharath
Newcastle must accept times have changed

By Alan Hansen

Last Updated: 12:26am GMT 06/11/2006

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

what retards are there at boardroom level in newcastle!!!!

Newcastle must accept times have changed

By Alan Hansen

Last Updated: 12:26am GMT 06/11/2006

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

what retards are there at boardroom level in newcastle!!!!

You really need to ask?

If we'd played on the Sunday we'd have still have had two games in 3 days because we play on Tuesday anyway. Of the 11 who started on Thursday, only Bramble, Moore, N'Zogbia, Solano & Milner started on the Saturday too, so it's just lame excuses.

Update your sig please  bluebiggrin.gif

Guest Gemmill

If we'd played on the Sunday we'd have still have had two games in 3 days because we play on Tuesday anyway. Of the 11 who started on Thursday, only Bramble, Moore, N'Zogbia, Solano & Milner started on the Saturday too, so it's just lame excuses.

That's beside the point tbh.  If the game HADN'T been played 48 hours later then he wouldn't have had to make 6 changes for a relegation 6-pointer, and 5 of the starting line-up having played 48 hours earlier is still 5 too many.  Plus half the Carling Cup games are played on Wednesday, so we probably could have sorted that too.

Guest Gemmill

Never mind that this decision by Shepherd seems to be motivated by greed. What does it say about the state of our finances? THAT'S the question I fear we should really be asking.

£250k is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things tbh.  I don't think this decision was made out of necessity.

Guest sharath

£250k is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things tbh. I don't think this decision was made out of necessity.

more out of luxury perhaps...only in FFS's case.