Big teams that have been relegated in recent times?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest guinness_fiend

Atletico Madrid were in the Segunda Division for a couple seasons until recently....Sevilla spent a fair amount of time down there too.....Real Zaragoza last season. Real Betis, Real Sociedad (big-ish) , Celta Vigo,. Parma in Serie B currently, Fiorentina were in the 3rd division equivalent (though that was due to the corruption case),Juventus,  Napoli, Fiorentina. Vasco Da Gama and Palmeiras in Brazil.....probably missing loads but those are off the top of my head. Hope we don't join that list  :undecided:

To be fair, we won't, as we're not a "big" club compared to most of the clubs you've listed (at least in terms of accolades). 

If we *do* get relegated, we might just win the Championship and I can die safe in the knowledge that Newcastle have won a trophy in my lifetime! :)

Guest guinness_fiend

I think Atletico Madrid goinig down was massive. They had won the League and Cup double about 5 years previous. Can you imagine that happening in the Premier League  :kasper:

That was crazy.  The fans must have felt like their world had impoded.

Aston Vile were playing in the old 3rd Division a few years ago

(alright then, when I were a lad!)

i think they played in 3rd division, after winning the European cup?

No...late 60's.They were relegated to the old 2nd division in 1986-87 last time.

I started going in the early 70s, we'd just got out the third division.

In the space of 15 years, we went from third division -> first division champions -> European Champions -> second division.

Ellis dismantled that team because he wasn't there in the spell we won all that stuff, the vindictive fucker

Incidentally, in our 87-88 spell in the second division, I went to pretty much every away game, and had the absolute time of my life.

I know the financial situation is far more complicated these days, and this is easy for me to say, but it won't be the end of the world, you won't stay there very long, and that is if it actually happens, which it probably won't.

Incidentally, in our 87-88 spell in the second division, I went to pretty much every away game, and had the absolute time of my life.

I know the financial situation is far more complicated these days, and this is easy for me to say, but it won't be the end of the world, you won't stay there very long, and that is if it actually happens, which it probably won't.

Of course it will. The players have already waved the white flag.

Care to swap places?