The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

You're being too negative about the modern footballer. If you'll notice, the players they've gotten thus far are outcasts from other top clubs after a pay day, or the top players from middling sides that are in a different stratosphere financially. The top, top players who have their pick of any club in the world, have almost universally rejected them. They've had the money for four windows now. At what point have they beaten out any of the clubs I mentioned, or any other top club for a top player? Eto'o, Kaka, and Ronaldo all went to more established, popular, and historically successful clubs. City are still nouveau riche. They have a way to go, yet.

I said they're behind Real Madrid in attractiveness, why use players they've signed as examples? :lol: Eto'o was a part of the Zlatan deal as well, which was to one of the other clubs I said was ahead of them when it came to attractiveness. Not to mention we have no idea if they ever were in for the same targets as the clubs you've mentioned, bar the ones I said was above them. So in that sense we'll never find out which one of us is right or wrong.

And I fully believe that some players still value history in their clubs above money, I just don't believe that most of them do. If City ever gets CL football there will be no stopping them tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

Tevez is a top player they outdid a top team to sign, and a one that the player was already at, at that. I agree with what you're saying like Baba, but as soon as it comes down to a bidding war, they can more or less force a player's hand if they really want to, purely by blowing other bidding teams out of the water.

Tevez is an interesting example. I thought of him as an outcast from a club. Mr. Ferguson wasn't playing him too much and Man U didn't show any urgency in getting him to sign permanently. (i.e. they didn't enter serious negotiations during the season) From what I could understand, they just weren't very interested in paying 30-40 million pounds for a backup striker.

Regardless of all that though, I agree with the point about forcing the players hand. Especially these days, when agents exert such a heavy influence over players. That will definitely be the case in some situations.

Tevez is an interesting example. I thought of him as an outcast from a club. Mr. Ferguson wasn't playing him too much and Man U didn't show any urgency in getting him to sign permanently. (i.e. they didn't enter serious negotiations during the season) From what I could understand, they just weren't very interested in paying 30-40 million pounds for a backup striker.

Regardless of all that though, I agree with the point about forcing the players hand. Especially these days, when agents exert such a heavy influence over players. That will definitely be the case in some situations.

So what are we discussing now? I mean.. You say some players still fancy history over money, I agreed. I said Man City have the potential to buy whoever they wanted (given the players they would be buying would be wanting money over history), you agreed. :lol:

So what are we discussing now? I mean.. You say some players still fancy history over money, I agreed. I said Man City have the potential to buy whoever they wanted (given the players they would be buying would be wanting money over history), you agreed. :lol:

:lol:

The arguments you've presented have been quite ample imo.  As far as I'm concerned, if the Man City owners keep pumping the money in they'll be a staple of the top 4 for many years, whether it begins this season or not.  They've drawn far too many games this season like, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Mancini in the summer.

What an awful night that was.

We've got the most stubborn manager I can ever remember us having. Persists in playing Cuellar at RB when the entire world can see it doesn't work.

When we're not having things go our way, he can't seem to change things - or more accurately, doesn't want to do so. And for all the "Martin plays his strongest side every time" worship from the press, what that actually means is "Martin plays the same side every time". Petrov, Milner and Dunne look absolutely fucking knackered.

Everton now have a decent chance of finishing above us. To make it worse, it pissed down with rain all night long.

Sunderland watchers will be interested to know they were the worst fans we've had at our place this season, barely a peep out of them. Sold about 1500 of the 3200 usually available, which in itself isn't too bad given it is a rearranged night game, but those who came were mute. Most unlike them.

We've got the most stubborn manager I can ever remember us having. Persists in playing Cuellar at RB when the entire world can see it doesn't work.

When we're not having things go our way, he can't seem to change things - or more accurately, doesn't want to do so. And for all the "Martin plays his strongest side every time" worship from the press, what that actually means is "Martin plays the same side every time". Petrov, Milner and Dunne look absolutely fucking knackered.

Everton now have a decent chance of finishing above us. To make it worse, it pissed down with rain all night long.

Sunderland watchers will be interested to know they were the worst fans we've had at our place this season, barely a peep out of them. Sold about 1500 of the 3200 usually available, which in itself isn't too bad given it is a rearranged night game, but those who came were mute. Most unlike them.

It's interesting you mention about him playing the same side - it's something I've noticed when watching you lot play, it's always, give or take 1 or 2 occasions, the same eleven. I'm pleased that Moyes has changed in that respect - he's much more open to squad rotation (well, sometimes enforced) nowadays.

I don't think you'll finish as poorly as last season but I still don't think you'll end the season strongly. Crunch game at yours (any idea when it may be re-arranged for?)

When we're not having things go our way, he can't seem to change things - or more accurately, doesn't want to do so. And for all the "Martin plays his strongest side every time" worship from the press, what that actually means is "Martin plays the same side every time". Petrov, Milner and Dunne look absolutely f***ing knackered.

These mongs disagree : http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=483365

When we're not having things go our way, he can't seem to change things - or more accurately, doesn't want to do so. And for all the "Martin plays his strongest side every time" worship from the press, what that actually means is "Martin plays the same side every time". Petrov, Milner and Dunne look absolutely f***ing knackered.

These mongs disagree : http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=483365

They're deluding themselves, then.

Cheers when they scored, and a few renditions of "We are Sunderland, we are Sunderland" and that was it. They're usually quite noisey but last night they were terrible.

It's interesting you mention about him playing the same side - it's something I've noticed when watching you lot play, it's always, give or take 1 or 2 occasions, the same eleven. I'm pleased that Moyes has changed in that respect - he's much more open to squad rotation (well, sometimes enforced) nowadays.

I don't think you'll finish as poorly as last season but I still don't think you'll end the season strongly. Crunch game at yours (any idea when it may be re-arranged for?)

It is April 14th, confirmed last week.

I've got the pleasure of watching them from the Kop on Sunday. Going down with a liverpool supporting mate and two mackems for the weekend seeing as they came down with me last year for the Newcastle game.

Not particularly looking forward to it like.

It is April 14th, confirmed last week.

The Everton website is truly useless.  :lol:

Interesting that it's so close, then. I'd arguably take a draw, if we can make up 3 more points this weekend which is a decent possibility.

I'm sure it was announced on our O/S last week Neil. I remember reading about it somewhere anyway.

It probably is me really. I was looking about it for a couple of days ago, might have been another site that still had it as "TBC".

That's going to be an insane week. We have the Semi on Sunday, then Arsenal at home the 14th, then Chelsea at home the 17th. Brummie's got the Semi on the Saturday, then you guys the 14th. It's the Manchester derby on the 17th as well.

Liverpool have an easy run that week, can see them clawing a lot of points back on us all.

That's going to be an insane week. We have the Semi on Sunday, then Arsenal at home the 14th, then Chelsea at home the 17th. Brummie's got the Semi on the Saturday, then you guys the 14th. It's the Manchester derby on the 17th as well.

Liverpool have an easy run that week, can see them clawing a lot of points back on us all.

We've got by far the easiest run-in of the lot but we've left it a bit too late to get fourth. It would take a collapse by more than one side.

tbh I wouldn't mind finishing 6th/7th and still missing out on the Europa League because less games would make it easier to have a proper push for 4th next season.

Chelsea fan on another forum I go on...

"Ohh and O.N Van Aanholt looks the nuts !!! Came on for Zhirkov around 70 mins and played a blinder. Its like watching a 18 year old Ashley Cole. So fast, and takes men on. Came in with a couple of wicked low crosses. Drogba should have put one of them away."

Chelsea fan on another forum I go on...

"Ohh and O.N Van Aanholt looks the nuts !!! Came on for Zhirkov around 70 mins and played a blinder. Its like watching a 18 year old Ashley Cole. So fast, and takes men on. Came in with a couple of wicked low crosses. Drogba should have put one of them away."

Noticed him come on as well when I was watching the match and he did indeed look up for it.  A shame that his team was already up 4-0 and wasn't really eager to get on the end of anything.

We've got by far the easiest run-in of the lot but we've left it a bit too late to get fourth. It would take a collapse by more than one side.

tbh I wouldn't mind finishing 6th/7th and still missing out on the Europa League because less games would make it easier to have a proper push for 4th next season.

Let's be entirely honest, the Europa League is a total waste of time.

I shed precisely zero tears when we went out at the first hurdle this year.

Let's be entirely honest, the Europa League is a total waste of time.

I shed precisely zero tears when we went out at the first hurdle this year.

Love these team that kill themselves to get in Europe, and don't try when they get there ammuses me. The arrogance from teams who haven't been in the CL in ten or more years is quite funny to me.

Love these team that kill themselves to get in Europe, and don't try when they get there ammuses me. The arrogance from teams who haven't been in the CL in ten or more years is quite funny to me.

It isn't about arrogance, it is about the fact that the format of the competition is such that, if you don't have a Champions League strength squad, you can not conduct a decent campaign in that AND in the league. Fulham are a one-off in that respect (if you consider their league campaign respectable).

I started watching us last year in the Europa League in July, against Odense, and watched every home match, and it just seemed to go on forever. By the end, I was relieved as much as anything. I thought it would last the rest of my natural life.

It is not about arrogance, it is about the fact that the format of the competition is absolutely ridiculous, especially compared to the UEFA Cup.

Real are 4-1 up at hhhetafe.

Ended 2-4. Most amusing thing is that this means that Real have one more year failed to score in the south end goal, where they have never, never scored. It's the only goal in the entire division (apart from Xerez's north end, but it's their first year in the division) where they have never scored.