Does going to the match...

Guest smoggeordie

Generally speaking I think so. You see more of the game than just the immediate area around the ball, and you see more moves in progress etc. however obviously there'll be some muppets who gan to the games and are still clueless.

Guest Moe-Ali

50% of the board never get to a match

Including yourself. 

Going to a match does not give your opinion more weight.  There's a lot of clueless people that go to football matches.  It's your knowledge of the game that's the most important, and at times being at the game can help.  But then, seeing countless replays of something on the TV can also be advantageous times. 

But to the question as it is put, no, it doesn't not.  It's the person spouting the opinion that matters.

End of.

Guest Knightrider

...give your opinion more weight than those who don't?

Discuss

Depends.

If you are a know-nowt-idiot it doesn't matter whether you were at the match, watched it on telly, listened on the radio or read a match report from Alan Oliver, your opinion will mean jack shit whatever it is.

I know people from afar with a better understanding of NUFC and the major issues at the club, than some people who go to every match.

Of course if we are talking individual matches and what goes on or doesn't in that match, then the fan's opinion who went to that match will hold more weight than the fan who didn't, although that might not make the match attending fans' opinion right or whatever.

Regarding the whole at the match Vs watching on the box issue, for me I like to get both views as I feel both persepectives will give me a better all-round picture of events. I actually prefer to watch football on the box as I like watching football and digesting everything that happens in the game where as at the match, you get absorbed with other things and before you know it, the game has ended and you've forgotten key moments - well I do anyway.

For example against Pompey in the cup I missed 2 of the goals and didn't know who had scored Rossi's until I asked someone as I was too busy drying rain from my eyes or complaining about a pen with my mate, or checking on the bairns.

At the Charlton match I though Duff's tumble was a clear pen, later on TV it clearly wasn't.

What I will say is you just don't get any feeling about the mood in Toon or at the match unless you're at the match or living here in Newcastle. Yo won't feel that from your TV, the radio or reading posts on here, you have to be there.

When we went on that 8 game winning run under Souness, from afar all looked well but at the match and in the city, fans weren't buying that run as anything special, well a lot weren't anyway.

The mood was still distinctly ant-Souness or one of "we'll let him off, until we fuck up", i.e. just waiting for things to turn sour. Actually it is always like that here, I guess we all grow more cynical with every failed season and to be fair, that type of attitude comes directly from a club that can beat the serie a leaders one day in their own back yard, lose to a shite team at home the next and then win our first ever shootout a few days later.

I feel sorry for those people who weren't in the city when KK was here, man, what a fucking great time and a great feeling it was not just in the city but going to the match, coming out from the match and being at the match. The chanting and singing used to continue out into the streets after the match, you very very rarely get that now though.

Happy days. No better place to be when its like that, when its like last week however, no worse a place as the mood is foul and bitter and it stays like that long after the match has finished.

Just my thoughts anyway...

Guest Invicta_Toon

Discuss

Happy days. No better place to be when its like that

exactly what's ruined this club, some have this daft perception that we once ruled the world of football for a decade like Liverpool  :roll:

Discuss

exactly what's ruined this club, some have this daft perception that we once ruled the world of football for a decade like Liverpool  :roll:

Tut tut. You shouldn't be having a dig like that at the Fred out crowd you know.

Guest Knightrider

Discuss

Utter shite man. You don't half exaggerate lad. You misplace just being fucking delighted to watch great football, sign great players and challenge for top honours as we were doing as delusion of grandeur? I'd say you're the one deluded.

I hate these twists on things.

If we demand a quality manager (which set of fans doesn't) we are setting our sights too high. If we accept the Roeder's we are setting our sights too low and accepting mediocrity.

Fuck me why is everything either black or white at this club.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Discuss

Fuck me why is everything either black or white at this club.

something to do with the Earl of Newcastle I think....

bluelaugh.gif

Guest Knightrider

I'm not a Fred Out person BTW HTL, I'm a "are the current board doing a good enough job, no they ain't so what's the solution?" person. At the minute the solution is they have to go because they keep proving they aren't up to it, but if they can find a solution without the need to do that (for them to go (can't see it)) I'll be just as happy because its not about them its about the club and what is best for the club. If someone else can do a better job I want that, I want us to explore that option. When Shearer banged in 28 goals in the season we finished 3rd, I'd have still swapped him for Henry, because he is a better player.

I see my thoughts as no different to your "we need to replace SBR and Shearer" thoughts back in 2003, you were looking ahead and asking can someone do better and wanting someone to do better.

No difference.

Doesn't mean you're an idiot or some kind of leper.

I think if you see more games, odds are your opinion will be more sensible, or at least it ought to be. But I've noticed on here, that those who go to all the home games are often the most angry or otherwise emotional, and that can cloud their judgement.

I'm not a Fred Out person BTW HTL, I'm a "are the current board doing a good enough job, no they ain't so what's the solution?" person. At the minute the solution is they have to go because they keep proving they aren't up to it, but if they can find a solution without the need to do that (for them to go (can't see it)) I'll be just as happy because its not about them its about the club and what is best for the club. If someone else can do a better job I want that, I want us to explore that option. When Shearer banged in 28 goals in the season we finished 3rd, I'd have still swapped him for Henry, because he is a better player.

I see my thoughts as no different to your "we need to replace SBR and Shearer" thoughts back in 2003, you were looking ahead and asking can someone do better and wanting someone to do better.

No difference.

I know. It was a tongue in cheek reply to Vicky The Boiler.

No difference.

it would only be a solution if they are replaced,simply forcing them out wouldn't necessarily solve anything and could make things worse.

HTL's posts have become more infrequent of late due to his lack of fingers because he is infact a leper,you insensitive brat!

No difference.

it would only be a solution if they are replaced,simply forcing them out wouldn't necessarily solve anything and could make things worse.

HTL's posts have become more infrequent of late due to his lack of fingers because he is infact a leper,you insensitive brat!

bluelaugh.gif

No difference.

bluelaugh.gif

don't laugh to hard...you need that nose!

When you consider how few matches are shown on TV, someone going to, say, all of the home games in a season would have a better idea about things than someone who is only able to watch on TV and would therefore be better positioned to comment on some matters.  For an individual game that was on TV, the opinions would be of similar weight.

And I don't want to hear anyone sitting abroad try and argue with me on this, cos I'm right.  OK?  So don't even try it on.

Tbf, there aren't many games I haven't seen this season. 7 games are usually on live every week plus one or two who are shown afterwards and if you still haven't seen it, there is still a chance to catch a torrent of it.

Guest Knightrider

Agreed. I think the message is loud and clear - Freddy & Co. Out. I think even they themselves know it now, the media know it, we all do. But until someone, somewhere, is willing to buy their shares, they are going nowhere, even if they want out which I think they now do, certainly the Halls anyway.

Guest Ridzuan

I dont think so.But people who go to a match certainly get to see a more wide view of what is happening as of those who watch it on TV.Like the Parker incident last week,the guys who went to the match get to see it while those who didnt,doesnt get to see it,but in the end we still know about it.