Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

The story goes is that LFC badly wanted him back when we signed him, but Rafa was t impressed with his agents demands, wages etc.

Who at LFC badly wanted him back? 

He engineered a cut price deal to RM, they offered him back after a season for nearly double the price.  Rafa would never have paid that, and nor was Rafa, via the club, going to pay him anywhere near the wages Newcastle were willing to pay him. Even David Moores wasn't bothered about Owen in the way he had been about Fowler.

At the time quite a lot of fans wanted him back, but equally as many didn't.  He was never loved here like, say Robbie Fowler, because we knew from he was a young lad that he'd love to play for one of the big European Clubs.  I remember seeing him being interviewed at 17 saying that he expected to be playing for Liverpool until he was at least 26, so no, LFC didn't 'badly' want him back.

I saw him and Roeder at Newmarket races a couple of years back.  One of my biggest regrets in life, is that I didn't butt in and ask them for a picture.  Then ask Owen to take the photo of me and Rodent.

:milner:

I remember coming out of the post office on St.Georges Terrace in a Jesmond a few years back, and Souness, McDermott & Saunders were looking in the window of Rook Matthews Sayer discussing some of the houses for sale. This was the Monday afternoon after another Souness horror show, so I was still foaming so I thought I'd say something. Didn't want to be too aggressive so said something along the lines of 'I wouldn't bother looking at houses if I were you', 'Why not' joked Souness, 'because you're not going to be here very long are you' I replied.

They all kind of looked at each other, realised I wasn't really joking and sort of shuffled off in the other direction..... It always particularly amuses me how sheepish soccer hard man Souness actually looked, although the confusion on Terry Mac's face was a sight to behold.

Really wish Owen had been there though.

I can also confirm Souness was a bit sheepish, I've told this story many times but I interacted with him at a hotel I worked at in Florida and this was AFTER he was sacked. We got to talking about football, and he was all smiley talking about this and that and was impressed how much I followed the sport...and then I asked him to guess which team I supported, he said "Liverpool? Manchester?" I smiled and said "No, Newcastle" and his face turned like he had seen a ghost, hung his head for a second and then rattled off a series of excuses etc. I still will maintain his family was lovely, and he was one of the nicest guests I've ever interacted with (the cunt).

Guest Howaythetoon

The story goes is that LFC badly wanted him back when we signed him, but Rafa was t impressed with his agents demands, wages etc.

Who at LFC badly wanted him back? 

He engineered a cut price deal to RM, they offered him back after a season for nearly double the price.  Rafa would never have paid that, and nor was Rafa, via the club, going to pay him anywhere near the wages Newcastle were willing to pay him. Even David Moores wasn't bothered about Owen in the way he had been about Fowler.

At the time quite a lot of fans wanted him back, but equally as many didn't.  He was never loved here like, say Robbie Fowler, because we knew from he was a young lad that he'd love to play for one of the big European Clubs.  I remember seeing him being interviewed at 17 saying that he expected to be playing for Liverpool until he was at least 26, so no, LFC didn't 'badly' want him back.

Club directors and former Anfield legends whose opinions counted for a lot back then until Rafa came in and basically made them redundant in terms of talking heads having influence.

Once Freddy Shepherd offered 16m or whatever it was though, no-one was signing him but us. LFC were prepared to pay 8m max I think.

I remember when we signed him, yes top player etc. but I wasn't happy. He was a Geordie Galactico signing basically and the bending over backwards ways we went to sign the little shit was embarrassing. Shearer even offering him his number 9 shirt...

Souness originally wanted Anelka and that Portugal fella, but got Luque and Owen. The Luque deal was basically similar to the Johnnson deal at Leeds, stupid stupid wages offered.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, when KK moved him deeper into midfield, he was Scholes like in his pomp and played some really good football. Owen was a very very good player at one point, never truly world-class, but he was close, very close. His attitude stunk though, he cared more about ego, image, England and horses and considered himself above LFC for some bizarre reason.

By the way, when KK moved him deeper into midfield, he was Scholes like in his pomp and played some really good football. Owen was a very very good player at one point, never truly world-class, but he was close, very close. His attitude stunk though, he cared more about ego, image, England and horses and considered himself above LFC for some bizarre reason.

Did your Merc come with optional crack cocaine?

Guest Howaythetoon

Closer to Scholes than Beckford to Cole...

Guest Howaythetoon

And I wish, although I do get mistaken for a dealer of such substance!

I was 22 and wasted after travelling back up from our relegation game against Villa but as far as I can remember I never insinuated he was near even Division 1 Cole's level, like.

Either way, I think we can all agree Owen, as effective as was in a few games under Keegan was nowhere near Scholes. Scholes was the complete attacking midfielder.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was 22 and wasted after travelling back up from our relegation game against Villa but as far as I can remember I never insinuated he was near even Division 1 Cole's level, like.

Either way, I think we can all agree Owen, as effective as was in a few games under Keegan was nowhere near Scholes. Scholes was the complete attacking midfielder.

I'm joking man, I know you got some stick for that comment.

Anyway, I guess I was saying Owen under KK was a very good ACM, like Scholes in that he scored and assisted and generally played well and was the fulcrum of the team. Scholes of course was a great player in that position, one of the best.

Guest Howaythetoon

I wouldn't say complete like, he couldn't tackle for one...

Yep, his tackling was atrocious.

:mackems: :spit:

This for NUFC?  Was that when we had a good spell at the end of the season?  Where he played in behind Viduka and Martins?  He looked half decent for a few games, granted.  But he was nothing like Scholes, FFS and he didn't even play the same role. 

Some serious revisionist history here  :lol:

Yep, his tackling was atrocious.

???