We lack athletes!

Guest sicko2ndbest

We don't lack athletes, we lack nous according to many wise heads on this forum. Don't expect to see many of them crop up here mind.

i will. we lack technique and nous more than any athleticism. lee clark was hardly an athlete but we are crying out for someone like him. he'd rape this division.

We don't lack athletes, we lack nous according to many wise heads on this forum. Don't expect to see many of them crop up here mind.

i will. we lack technique and nous more than any athleticism. lee clark was hardly an athlete but we are crying out for someone like him. he'd rape this division.

I'm pretty sure you were one of the more vocal critics of the idea of a creative midfielder, in favour of box to box players. So in which capacity would you want a Lee Clark as a player?

I'm pretty sure you were one of the more vocal critics of the idea of a creative midfielder, in favour of box to box players. So in which capacity would you want a Lee Clark as a player?

both. he was box to box and creative in other words a central midfielder. don't fall for the defensive/attacking central midfielder in a 4-4-2 as its a lie.

Pace, creativity and an established striker is what we lack.

i'd bet if we got creativity we wouldn't cry for pace.

True, but it wouf be a bonus even with creativity, scares the shit out of defenders. Only ones who come close to doing that are Lovenkrands and Jonas, when he runs at people looking like he may have a pop, of course he never does.

Pace, creativity and an established striker is what we lack.

i'd bet if we got creativity we wouldn't cry for pace.

Pace and creativity are great attributes but athleticism isn't just about that, we really need central midfieders who can run up and down the pitch. All the nous in the world isn't much use if you can't keep up with the opposition. Jerome Thomas hardly got a kick against Forest but he was allowed the freedom of the park yesterday as our huffing puffing heroes caught their breath bless em.

Guest Stephen927

The ideal situation would be that players like Nolan and Smith would become back-up players once we're promoted. But obviously it isn't really sustainable to have players on £40k a week sitting on the bench as back-up, which is where our problem lies.

In the modern game most footballers are athletes. I say most because clearly there are exceptions.

Modern game requires athletes! Most successful teams are playing counter attacking football nowadays(except in Italy...and Barcelona) and it's all about the pace! Jonas fits into that system great but his inability to deliver the final ball lets us down. Looking at our style it's pretty much obvious when Nolan, Smith, Butt, Ameobi, Carroll or anyone else lacking pace gets the ball it's pretty much sure nothing's going to happen unlike with Gutierrez. Solid defence with a few pacy players playing counter attacking style is the way to go IMO...at least it's way more interesting(entertaining to watch) than our current walking around the picth