Explanation Needed, Help Please

Delima

Roeder looks to window

A concerned Glenn Roeder last night admitted the outcome of Newcastle's campaign will hinge on his ability to solve his side's striking problems during a critical January transfer window.

The Magpies drew a blank for the fourth successive Premiership fixture at the weekend and, with a 0-0 stalemate at Manchester City not sufficient to lift the club out of the relegation zone, Roeder conceded his team's attacking limitations are becoming increasingly worrisome.

No side have been less productive in this season's top flight than United - who have managed a mere seven goals in their 12 league matches to date. And although Roeder is determined to improve upon a dreadful record before the New Year, he knows his best chance of remedying the situation will be with the aid of Freddie Shepherd's cheque book.

"The transfer window is obviously going to be critical," said a manager who is preparing to write off Shola Ameobi's season, with the 25-year-old scheduled to undergo major surgery within the next month.

"For myself and for the club, the re-opening of the window cannot come quickly enough. With Michael (Owen) and Shola almost certainly out for the year, it's going to be vital that we find players to help us have a successful second half of the season. We are not scoring goals and without the players to do that, we will not win as many games as we would like. We need to find those players.

"We are working hard looking at potential targets and we have been doing for the last six or eight weeks. I would not give clues as to how many players I want to bring in or who they are, it would be silly to do that. It would not help when we go and try to negotiate a price. Those things have to stay within the inner circle of the club."

He will not go into details but it is obvious that Roeder's chief priority is to add strikers to a toothless team without a Premiership goal in open play since September 24. The big problem is United have got nine league fixtures to negotiate before January 1 and, considering their parlous position in the top-flight standings, an immediate solution is required.

"It is a big concern, it has to be," said the Magpies boss. "I need to go with what I have got and find a way of scoring goals that will enable us to win Premier League games. I have to work out what I have and find a winning formula between now and the window opening.

"I think that we can do more than simply limp on. Limping on doesn't sound very good and we have got to be positive here. It is right to be positive because, although there is a big imbalance in the squad, we still have a

lot of quality, a group of players who are capable of winning games in the Premiership."

Newcastle's players have done nothing to prove as much of late and, having gone eight weeks without managing a league win, United remain in deep trouble. Owen's problems have been well-documented and, although Ameobi played in Manchester, he was clearly not fit and a season-ending operation is imminent.

With Giuseppe Rossi scheduled to return to Old Trafford on January 1, Roeder knows the first month of 2007 will be the defining point of the club's campaign. Yet given the disappointment of the last transfer window, United's supporters will look ahead to the New Year more in hope than expectation.

January will almost certainly see the end of Albert Luque's abortive spell on Tyneside. Sources in Spain have insisted the 28-year-old has emerged as an unlikely target for Barcelona and, having failed to even win a seat on the United team coach at the weekend, it is clear Roeder will not stand in the striker's way.

"I will tell you the truth - he just wasn't brought (to Manchester) in the 18," added the United boss, who seems to have given up on the £10m Spaniard. "He is an experienced player and if you are not going to use him in the starting line-up or on the substitutes' bench, I see little point in bringing someone of his senior standing in the game."

What's the bold bit supposed to mean? I have chewed it a thousand times and I can't understand it completely. I guess Roeder is saying that if Luque is not bought to play, there is no point buying him!!? If so what's the Manchester thing about? Also, it was Souness who bought and use Roeder, right? What's the point Roeder is making?

Or have I simply misunderstood Roeder completely?

Guest ChickenKiev

I think what he's saying is that what was the point on taking him to manchester if he wasn't going to play. Didn't say WHY he wasn't going to play though!

What's the bold bit supposed to mean? I have chewed it a thousand times and I can't understand it completely. I guess Roeder is saying that if Luque is not bought to play, there is no point buying him!!? If so what's the Manchester thing about? Also, it was Souness who bought and use Roeder, right? What's the point Roeder is making?

Or have I simply misunderstood Roeder completely?

Yes, you've misunderstood.  The key word is "brought" not bought.  What he's saying is that there was no  point in taking a senior player like Luque to Manchester if he had no intention of playing him in the team or from the bench. "He wasn't brought to Manchester" means "He wasn't taken to Manchester".

What Roeder is saying is, regardless of how good Luque is, how well he does in training, even if he scores a hat trick each time I am forced to play him, I am the boss and I have no intention of playing him and fukc NUFC,my feelings come first not points for the club.  With that in mind why should I bring him along and put him on the bench when even if we were down to 6 men because of injuries I still wouldn't give him a chance. Oh and by the way, Martins will come good but you must remember he has come from another League, another country and it will take hime time to adjust, the fans must understand that it may take him 3 or 4 months to adjust and it would be unfair not to allow him this time.

Roeder you are a total wanker

funny thing is, while i am not fully on the side of Luque is the answer (although i would like him to have a few games in a row), some west ham fans on rivals forum did come on and say when he decideshe doesn't like a player he'll ignore them no matter the situation.  I didn't believe them but this really does look like just what they were describing.