Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest malandro

We lasat won the FA Cup in 1955. Are you still celebrating that???????????????????????????

He never took over in 1956.

Happy.............you missed the point again. I will try again. What is past is past. You cant change that. History is history. You can moan, whinge, complain and protest until the cows come home but it will do no good. However, you could give the bloke the benefit of the doubt and see what he is trying to do and support him and the club. You can change the future. It doesnt mean you have to like him personally but you can appreciate the policies he is putting in place which quite clearly, is to try an avoid what happened under the shepherd regime. I thank him for that because if we continued down that path, we would oprobably have ended up another Portsmouth or Leeds. Thankfully, by putting in astute financial plans and re-building towards the future, Ashley and crew are steering us on the right path, whether you like it or not.

Astute financial plans  :laugh:

If he came out and told us what his plans were, where he sees the club being in five years time and how he intends to get us there - then we might have reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. That he won’t implies that there’s something he doesn’t want us to know, or that he doesn’t have a plan and is just making it up as he goes along, or he just can’t be arsed to let us know because it’s his club and none of our business.

In the three years since he bought the club I’ve only heard Mike Ashley utter two words, and they were f*** Off in Goal III.

no we wouldn't. we'd say talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, just like we did in freds last years and we would have if mckeag,westwood et al had to have a public face.

edit.... no one would give a s*** about his public relations if we were doing well. fred/hall got away with loads when we were doung well.

If his intentions are good, let’s hear them. Why hide good news?

as i said earlier, doesn't matter what he says, people would just return with "actions speak louder than words" etc.

So if he came out and said ‘my plan is to spend just enough on the squad to avoid relegation for the next five years and use the extra PL income to claw back my losses’ everybody would just say it didn’t matter because actions speak louder than words would they?

We lasat won the FA Cup in 1955. Are you still celebrating that???????????????????????????

Happy.............you missed the point again. I will try again. What is past is past. You cant change that. History is history. You can moan, whinge, complain and protest until the cows come home but it will do no good. However, you could give the bloke the benefit of the doubt and see what he is trying to do and support him and the club. You can change the future. It doesnt mean you have to like him personally but you can appreciate the policies he is putting in place which quite clearly, is to try an avoid what happened under the shepherd regime. I thank him for that because if we continued down that path, we would oprobably have ended up another Portsmouth or Leeds. Thankfully, by putting in astute financial plans and re-building towards the future, Ashley and crew are steering us on the right path, whether you like it or not.

If he came out and told us what his plans were, where he sees the club being in five years time and how he intends to get us there - then we might have reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. That he won’t implies that there’s something he doesn’t want us to know, or that he doesn’t have a plan and is just making it up as he goes along, or he just can’t be arsed to let us know because it’s his club and none of our business.

In the three years since he bought the club I’ve only heard Mike Ashley utter two words, and they were f*** Off in Goal III.

no we wouldn't. we'd say talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, just like we did in freds last years and we would have if mckeag,westwood et al had to have a public face.

edit.... no one would give a s*** about his public relations if we were doing well. fred/hall got away with loads when we were doung well.

as i said earlier, doesn't matter what he says, people would just return with "actions speak louder than words" etc.

So if he came out and said ‘my plan is to spend just enough on the squad to avoid relegation for the next five years and use the extra PL income to claw back my losses’ everybody would just say it didn’t matter because actions speak louder than words would they?

:lol:

Why would he do that like? 

Why would you want him to?

You know the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns says "Thank you sir, can I have another" after Lenny boots him up the arse? That is basically how I see macca888.

Actions speak louder than words. Absolutely right.

Answer the following question truthfully.

HOW MANY OF YOU EXPECTED PLAYERS TO BE SOLD IN JANUARY AND ONLY LOAN PLAYERS BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THEM?

Give the daft twat a round of applause - he did the right thing one whole year after he should've.

If he came out and told us what his plans were, where he sees the club being in five years time and how he intends to get us there - then we might have reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. That he wont implies that theres something he doesnt want us to know, or that he doesnt have a plan and is just making it up as he goes along, or he just cant be arsed to let us know because its his club and none of our business.

In the three years since he bought the club Ive only heard Mike Ashley utter two words, and they were f*** Off in Goal III.

If his intentions are good, lets hear them. Why hide good news?

So if he came out and said my plan is to spend just enough on the squad to avoid relegation for the next five years and use the extra PL income to claw back my losses everybody would just say it didnt matter because actions speak louder than words would they?

Where has he said this? Just answer the question, if you are able to.

You know the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns says "Thank you sir, can I have another" after Lenny boots him up the arse? That is basically how I see macca888.

HOW MANY OF YOU EXPECTED PLAYERS TO BE SOLD IN JANUARY AND ONLY LOAN PLAYERS BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE THEM?

Give the daft twat a round of applause - he did the right thing one whole year after he should've.

Who put Newcastle down?

Who's behaved like a clown?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who keeps us happy with his scraps?

Who's overseen our collapse?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who treats our club like a bar?

Who makes Lovenkrands a star?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who robs Newcastle of their might?

Who tries to sell us without a fight?

Ashley, Ashley.

Guest malandro

Do you understand the concept of future tense?

if he said ''' i've been bankrolling this club for 2 years and putting my hand in my pocket more than anyone in the clubs history" what would you say ?

Give the daft t*** a round of applause - he did the right thing one whole year after he should've.

Who put Newcastle down?

Who's behaved like a clown?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who keeps us happy with his scraps?

Who's overseen our collapse?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who treats our club like a bar?

Who makes Lovenkrands a star?

Ashley, Ashley.

Who robs Newcastle of their might?

Who tries to sell us without a fight?

Ashley, Ashley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBav72i7I3s

Guest malandro

I’m just illustrating that words count, not as much as actions but count they do. When it comes to intentions words are the only option, and I think a lot of supporters would like to know what Ashley intentions are. All the contemptuous wall of silence achieves is uncertainty and confusion, and who does that benefit?

I’m just illustrating that words count, not as much as actions but count they do. When it comes to intentions words are the only option, and I think a lot of supporters would like to know what Ashley intentions are. All the contemptuous wall of silence achieves is uncertainty and confusion, and who does that benefit?

But he's said before that he intends for us to be Arsenal.

Don't mean shit.  If he's going to say anything it's going to be his best intention.  He's not an evil Spurs fan intentionally presiding over our demise.  He wants to bring success.  He's just incompetent.

true in that we'd all like to know what his intentions are but no matter what he'd say peoples minds are already made up and only his actions could prove anything either way.

Guest malandro

if he said ''' i've been bankrolling this club for 2 years and putting my hand in my pocket more than anyone in the clubs history" what would you say ?

I’d say - if you want us to move on why do you keep harping on about the past? Why not talk about the future instead?

I’d say - if you want us to move on why do you keep harping on about the past? Why not talk about the future instead?

fair point...............would you believe him either way ?

Guest malandro

true in that we'd all like to know what his intentions are but no matter what he'd say peoples minds are already made up and only his actions could prove anything either way.

If you really believed that you wouldn’t be arguing the toss with me on this thread.

If you really believed that you wouldn’t be arguing the toss with me on this thread.

i would cos i'm a beligerent t***...anyway my question above is much more pertinent.

Guest malandro

If we could look into his eyes and hear the inflection in his voice, it would tell us a lot more about what kind of man he is, and that really is what we need to know.

At the risk of going off on tangent it’s a bit like Tiger Woods, or Bill Clinton. Judge me on my as yet nonexistent future actions wasn’t enough. They had to face the music before the process of redemption could start in earnest. If they’d got a spokesperson to say sorry now stop moaning they’d have been slaughtered.

Guest malandro

i would cos i'm a beligerent t***...anyway my question above is much more pertinent.

Some might say there’s one word too many in that sentence.

If we could look into his eyes and hear the inflection in his voice, it would tell us a lot more about what kind of man he is, and that really is what we need to know.

At the risk of going off on tangent it’s a bit like Tiger Woods, or Bill Clinton. Judge me on my as yet nonexistent future actions wasn’t enough. They had to face the music before the process of redemption could start in earnest. If they’d got a spokesperson to say sorry now stop moaning they’d have been slaughtered.

i go the other way. i dont trust what they say, i'll believe what they do (and i've been very consistent in this),

and come on man...look at your examples. why not throw OJ in there aswell.

If he came out and told us what his plans were, where he sees the club being in five years time and how he intends to get us there - then we might have reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. That he wont implies that theres something he doesnt want us to know, or that he doesnt have a plan and is just making it up as he goes along, or he just cant be arsed to let us know because its his club and none of our business.

In the three years since he bought the club Ive only heard Mike Ashley utter two words, and they were f*** Off in Goal III.

If his intentions are good, lets hear them. Why hide good news?

So if he came out and said my plan is to spend just enough on the squad to avoid relegation for the next five years and use the extra PL income to claw back my losses everybody would just say it didnt matter because actions speak louder than words would they?

Id say - if you want us to move on why do you keep harping on about the past? Why not talk about the future instead?

At the risk of going off on tangent its a bit like Tiger Woods, or Bill Clinton. Judge me on my as yet nonexistent future actions wasnt enough. They had to face the music before the process of redemption could start in earnest. If theyd got a spokesperson to say sorry now stop moaning theyd have been slaughtered.

oh cmon, be serious for a moment. Why has Ashley got to come out on camera to explain anything? Do you ever hear from the Glaziers, the Lerners or the numerous owners of Portsmouth over the past year. Of course you dont. That is the job of the managing director, like Storrie, Gill and in our case Llambiase. Admittedly, I wish we still had Mort instead of Llambiase but therre is nothing we can do about that now. We are stuck with him. At least he does write in the program though.

Macca, again you're being pathetically grateful for the tiniest of mercies.  I'll try again.  What is past informs the the future.  This is not a hollywood movie.  People don't learn valuable life lessons and change.  You can put your faith in the inherrent goodness of human nature over and over and be walked over again and again.  As you can see above I've given this bloke the benefit of the doubt in the past. but as George Bush said, Fool me once, shame on — erm - shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

What the fuck on you on about now? People dont learn valuable lesson and change????? What a load of nonsense. If anyone in life makes a mistake and doesnt accepot responsibility for it and changes, then you are more or less setting yourself up for another fall. We are talking abut a bloody business here. A business that was clearly failing. A business that could no longer exist within its own financial commitments. A BUSINESS SETTING ITSELF UP FOR A FALL.

Ashley took over that business and made a lot of mistakes and admitted to them. He had to deal with the financial black hole left him by the previous regime. He appointed the wrong managers (including KK) and probably acted on bad advice on how his plan failed resulted in relegation last season.

It was relatively clear that this season was armeggeddon for us both on and off the field. Everyone recognised that, hence the protests, the chanting at games, the attempt to sell the club and the NUST stance. We could have gone the same way as Leeds as continued into freefall. Cleartly, salary costs had to be reduced, players had to be sacrificed and transfers fees brought in to assist the reduction of the debt. He could have sold more players, that has been well reported. But, he didnt. He kept a very high wage bill, certainly for this division and probably more than many in the PL, supported the manager in January with money to sign players and got rid of some deadwood in Geremi.

We are reaping the fruits at the moment. The depths have been hit and everyone is surprised at whewre we are today. We appear to have a reasonable squad, certainly capable of surviving next season in the PL with the addition of a few new realistic faces. He has continually supported the club financially, something which Shepherd and cronies failed to do and he has obviously set a business plan together for the club, within its means and not overstated.

Is Ashley styeering the club in the right direction?  I think anyone who is not biased against the man would have to admit that he is and doing a bloody good job under very difficult circumstances. He has the backing of a good management team in Hughton etc and the players. That will do for me.

We could after all have a disorganised rabble like NUST or the bloke who tried to buy the club in the summer runni9ng things with fucking Shearer as manager. Then, we would definitely be in a whole lot of shit............IN MY OPINION. 

We do not have a squad capable of doing anything other than fluke safety next season should promotion become a reality, we definitely need to see new players come in but they will have to be of a PL standard. That may come as a surprise to Ashley, given the players who left without replacement during our last January in PL, where we were relegated by just 1 point.

The summer transfer window will show whether Ashley has learned anything. I will add that having watched dross for most of my life I'm not expecting miracles. We may drop back down but I want to see some stability and some sense of direction within the club. I want to see some show of ambition that may make any good players want to stay, unlike when we lost Given, Bassong and Milner etc.

The fact is, Ashley has not done a good job since taking control of the club and he is not doing a good job now, let alone a very good job. These difficult circumstances people mention time and again are of his own making, hence Ashley is due no credit at all for any supposed improvement in how he's running the club over just the last 2 months, which is all it is. 2 months out of nearly 3 years. I listed a load of his decisions earlier that show the level of ineptitude and it's barely believable.

I'm waiting for more from him, much more and we will find out in the summer.

Not me. I expected players to be sold with Skirge and Dave signed up on permanent deals, just as long as they were cheap enough.

Ian, You shouldn't make such a big play of January, it's making you look daft and so far out of touch it's unreal.

Supporters are well aware Ashley allowed the squad to be increased during January.

Supporters are well aware it was down to Ashley that the squad was so thin in the first place, we also know players should have been brought in last summer but were not because Ashley was apparently trying to sell club and didn't have a clue about who the manager was going to be, so who would join anyway.

Supporters are also aware that for the 2 1/2 years before January 2010, Ashley made a series of bad decisions, showing a breathtaking level of ineptitude.

It takes more than 1 transfer window to turn things around.

Momentum is important for a football club. We have upward momentum at the moment, whereas for the previous five seasons the momentum was either static or downward. We were like a hamster in a wheel, running like the clappers but not going anywhere and the clear risk is that one season, things are going to go against you and you go down.

You have to get out of that syndrome somehow, and relegation obviously isn't the best way of doing it. But it does present the club with an opportunity to come back leaner and fitter. That's where we are at the moment.

If the question is - would you rather be in the Premiership or the Championship, then the answer's obvious, but the picture's more complicated.

No, your question is far too simplistic. I don't think anyone is asking that at all.

The question is does the owner have any ambition to take the club into a challenging position in the PL or not. Beyond that there are no guarantees, as I've always said.

Guest nufc_geordie

No, your question is far too simplistic. I don't think anyone is asking that at all.

The question is does the owner have any ambition to take the club into a challenging position in the PL or not. Beyond that there are no guarantees, as I've always said.

Personally, I think this kind of comment is way off the mark. Newcastle were in a god almighty mess. We needed relegation to sort the club out. I don't think we have changed as much as I would like but as previously mentioned we have an upwards momentum at the moment. Our aim for next season should simply be 17th. Stay in the league. From then our target should be an increased number of points year on year. A gradual, slow building process that  keeps us financially stable, based on a good transfer model-something along the lines that Sir Bobby employed. Good young players in, and let them develop with a few senior heads around them.

That is a sustainable approach- We are not ready for European football and won't be for some time.

Personally, I think this kind of comment is way off the mark. Newcastle were in a god almighty mess. We needed relegation to sort the club out. I don't think we have changed as much as I would like but as previously mentioned we have an upwards momentum at the moment. Our aim for next season should simply be 17th. Stay in the league. From then our target should be an increased number of points year on year. A gradual, slow building process that  keeps us financially stable, based on a good transfer model-something along the lines that Sir Bobby employed. Good young players in, and let them develop with a few senior heads around them.

That is a sustainable approach- We are not ready for European football and won't be for some time.

Perfectly put, in my opinion, and not even a mention of the name, ASHLEY. For those people on nhere, they shoul;d really underatand this post. It perfectly summarises the club at the present stage therefore implying Ashley IS steering the club in the right direction.

Well done