MLS 2010

Kaizero

Word on the street is that Don Garber is trying to create a "Rivalry Week" for next season where there are three round-robin style matches in the span of one week between three rivals (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver in this case).  I think it's facepalm worthy.  Could you imagine getting all of your derbies out of the way in one week?  Totally dumb idea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9366577.stm

:facepalm:

If I were still in NYC I'd support the Cosmos, mind. Only yank team I was aware of during my childhood. Never could bring myself to pay any serious attention to the NYRB.

Some of his quotes are cringeworthy, they don't even have a field, let alone a single player.  Let's see what happens in a couple years with them.

The MLS want to get a rivalery going in NY like they have in LA, so I'd bet a lot on the Cosmos being the next expansion team after Impact.

There will be more of a rivalry with TFC and the Impact than the NYRB and the Cosmos.  Can't see people in NY caring that much, whereas up here it's basically the French vs the English.  I've seen some mongs involved with TFC go down to Columbus and start fights and light flares in the stands.  It'll be ten fold when Montreal enter the league.

The MLS want to get a rivalery going in NY like they have in LA, so I'd bet a lot on the Cosmos being the next expansion team after Impact.

There will be more of a rivalry with TFC and the Impact than the NYRB and the Cosmos.  Can't see people in NY caring that much, whereas up here it's basically the French vs the English.  I've seen some mongs involved with TFC go down to Columbus and start fights and light flares in the stands.  It'll be ten fold when Montreal enter the league.

Impact are already announced as an expansion team for 2012, Cosmos will (as I said, most likely) be the 20th expansion team.

edit: in hindsight it's clear you know this already, but still. :thup:

There's a lot of football grassroots audience in the Queens area that completely ignored the NYRB, but that I can see coming out for the Cosmos. Football is pretty vibrant there and hauling your ass off to NJ to watch a cringeworthily branded team wasn't an option. NYRB was never seen as a local team there.

It will be unfair to a lot of the other marginally successful division two franchises when the Cosmos get granted their MLS status without a stadium/squad/anything.  It's nailed on the Cosmos will get announced after Montreal and then they will close up shop for a while and let the league grow within itself.

Guest Heneage

Last time I got an MLS top I got stung with a £20 shipping charge so will be careful this time!

If it puts you off let me know I can get it sent to my girlfriends and she'll ship it.