NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

West Ham join Newcastle and Wigan in chase for Oldham teenager Tom Eaves

West Ham, Newcastle and Wigan are among a clutch of clubs monitoring Oldham striker Tom Eaves.

The 6ft 4in teenager only made his debut this year and has appeared 13 times as a substitute, but is showing the potential to play at a higher level.

The Liverpool-born forward had previously been at Crewe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268445/West-Ham-join-Newcastle-Wigan-chase-Oldham-teenager-Tom-Eaves.html?ITO=1490

Mounir El Hamdaoui of AZ alkmaar could be someone we are looking at. We've been linked with AZ's Jeremiah Lens, but I think it's more likely to be El Hamdaoui. He's over 20 goals again this season as he was in the previous one.

Here's the interesting bit though, he was at Tottenham from 2005-2007, and Hughton would have been coaching at Tottenham then.

Mounir El Hamdaoui of AZ alkmaar could be someone we are looking at. We've been linked with AZ's Jeremiah Lens, but I think it's more likely to be El Hamdaoui. He's over 20 goals again this season as he was in the previous one.

Here's the interesting bit though, he was at Tottenham from 2005-2007, and Hughton would have been coaching at Tottenham then.

Good spot. :thup:

I'm led to believe Yobo's fallen by the way-side a bit but he used to be a really good centre-back. I know the general idea is to sign players with a bit of youth, bite and hunger (and sell-on value :pow: ), but it's critical that we survive next season. Sign players that will ensure this; it's pointless taking gambles at the moment. Next season's about consolidation. Cement ourself in the Premier League and then look to be a bit more innovative.

You just have to compare teams in the past. Survival in the big league has so frequently depended on players bought. Whilst i wouldn't say we should aspire to someone as 'also-ran-ish' as Wigan in the long run, their's is a blueprint worth looking at. They went up and signed De Zeeuw and Henchoz. Two unspectacular defenders who are barely a tier above 'journeymen'. But it worked an absolute treat and they stayed in the Premiership, and are still there now. They replaced them with more 'innovative' signings and it worked really well in the long-run. Compare to the likes of Reading, Hull, and even Sunderland a few years back - they gambled in the transfer market and went down in pretty rapid time.

Just sign players that are proven in the league.

It's refreshing to think that we might 'get in early' this summer for once.

yeah thats not going to happen

In the Chronicle tonight, John Gibson says that Ashley held a meeting with all the backroom staff including reserve team coach and academy staff (doesn't say when) and spoke openly of transfer market support and a personal wish to get business done before the World Cup.

So maybe we will get in early for a change.  Certainly with finishing the season so early, they have plenty of time to prepare for next season.

Cabaye looks a good player when I've seen him. Central midfielder. Sure we were linked with him in The Chronicle recently as well so might be something in that one.

He'd cost about £10m, I can't see it happening at all.