Should we purchase Darren Bent at £9 million?

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm sick of hearing people going on about spending big money again on a striker, we need to see what Owen's like when he comes back first before splashing out on another striker when the defence needs sorting out.

I'm sick of hearing people going on about spending big money again on a striker, we need to see what Owen's like when he comes back first before splashing out on another striker when the defence needs sorting out.

Mate, I realize this. However, seeing as we should have addressed the defence in this next Jan window, we should look to strengthen the attack in the summer window. We'll have Owen (hopefully back to his best), Martins, Ameobi and maybe Sibierski (if he continues to play well and gets offered a new contract). That is only a possibility. We could have a crocked Ameobi while Sibs is released because his contract ran out. That's why I would see 5m for a young and quick striker to be a snip and could prove to be a deal that Duff's should have been.

We need to strengthen both defence and attack. Before Martins started scoring in every game, we were among the least scoring teams in the Premiership. We can't rely on Sibierski (and Dyer) to score all our goals whenever Martins gets injured or has a dip in form.

Would guarantee 15+ goals imo, but would probably come at a cost to the team because I cant see him playing alongside Martins or Owen effectively, and on top of this he looks like he might be at his best in a lone role, which is the position he hit top form in last season. Hes also a very average footballer as a whole, average technical ability, passing, etc - ie, wont provide much to the team as a whole.

Bent should be ruled out now as an option imo. The time when he would have been an option, and a good one, was before we got Martins.

We should therefore be looking at something different. Someone in the Gudjohnsen (intelligent holder of the ball), Tevez (skillful linkup play) or Anelka (strong wingplay) mould, someone who will provide what Martins at the moment is failing to do - ie give us a ball retaining presence up front. Let Martins carry on concentrating on scoring.

Looking at our finances of late I can't imagine we've got 9 million, and I'm pretty sure we can't add the wages for another 9 million pound player in either. So barring the Belgravia group stumping up for the club in the next few weeks I don't see this going anywhere.

Personally I'd say the priority remains the left back slot. If Bridge is still an option from Chelsea that'd be great, but mostly we just need a decent leftback. After that, probably a centreback and then maybe look at a forward signing. If we bring Bent in that means we'd go into next season with Owen, Ameobi, Martins, Bent, Dyer and Sibierski (if he stays on) all wanting to play up front. Doesn't look like good planning to me.

We need to strengthen both defence and attack. Before Martins started scoring in every game, we were among the least scoring teams in the Premiership. We can't rely on Sibierski (and Dyer) to score all our goals whenever Martins gets injured or has a dip in form.

I just don't think it's feasible for us to splash out 9 million on another striker, I long for the day we actually build a team from the back.

If we bring Bent in that means we'd go into next season with Owen, Ameobi, Martins, Bent, Dyer and Sibierski (if he stays on) all wanting to play up front. Doesn't look like good planning to me.

True, but then youre forgetting Luque, who is set to be sold. On our books hes a 10mill forward, therefore we at present have an attacking squad of Owen (17mill), Martins (10), Luque (10), with Ameobi and Dyer as backup. Therefore, once Luque goes, its not impossible for us to be having 3 big money forwards since that is what we are supposed to have at present.

I would say no

We need some decent defenders,we can't go and spend 9m on a striker

Darren Bent is a good player,but what we need now is a goalscorer,who can score with both head and feet,and for a low price (1-4 million) and spend the rest of our budget on signing defenders..

Also,if Owen is to return next season,Bent will have a hard time finding a place in the first team,wich will lead to more problems..

Guest khainufc

Is great if we can get Bent...

but for 9millions!

nah! i dont rate him that high...n dont think so his value that high too aight?

might as well we strengthen our defender...

I rate Bent, but we have better players in Martins, Dyer and Owen. We don't need him. Once Owen and Zoggy are fit we are going to have big Job keeping everyone happy as it is:

Given

Nobby  Taylor Ramage New LB?

Dyer     Butt     Parker   Emre

Owen   Martins

Harper/Krul

Hunty

Duff

Zoggy

Milner

Le Sib

pattison

O'brien

Moore

Troisi

Luque and Shambles we sell. Car and baba are not goingto be to happy not playing either.

He looks like a good all-round striker, but I haven't spotted anything exceptional about him. At the end of the season, we'll (hopefully) have Martins, Owen, Shola and Dyer to choose from, so in order to improve that range of options we need to look elsewhere.