"two or three quality players"

Thespence

I see what you mean, but I think a 'forward's tackle' occurs because forwards don't enjoy tackling, they don't practice it and they aren't always as naturally aggressive/strong/tall etc.

Yes, tackling is a 'skill', but I still think technical football ability is something different.

I see what you mean, but I think a 'forward's tackle' occurs because forwards don't enjoy tackling, they don't practice it and they aren't always as naturally aggressive/strong/tall etc.

Yes, tackling is a 'skill', but I still think technical football ability is something different.

how so ?

edit...forwards aren't always as naturally agressive.....not always maybe but often are. full backs often aren't as big and strong as midfielders...so what ?

defending is as much a skill as attacking and what players do off the ball is often more important than what they do on the ball (it's often more than half the job). the best teams are organised throughout and attack and defend as teams.

how so ?

edit...forwards aren't always as naturally agressive.....not always maybe but often are. full backs often aren't as big and strong as midfielders...so what ?

defending is as much a skill as attacking and what players do off the ball is often more important than what they do on the ball (it's often more than half the job). the best teams are organised throughout and attack and defend as teams.

I agree defending is as much a skill as attacking, I just think they are different skills and that attacking requires more of what you might call 'technical ability'.

They are fundamentally different though... defending is psychologically about being destructive - stopping play, getting in the way, blocking, destroying. Attacking is fundamentally creative.

I guess I'm biased because I've always appreciated good attacking play more... you make a lot of good points about the importance of defending, it's obviously vital.

how so ?

I agree defending is as much a skill as attacking, I just think they are different skills and that attacking requires more of what you might call 'technical ability'.

They are fundamentally different though... defending is psychologically about being destructive - stopping play, getting in the way, blocking, destroying. Attacking is fundamentally creative.

I guess I'm biased because I've always appreciated good attacking play more... you make a lot of good points about the importance of defending, it's obviously vital.

You cannot succeed at any high level in football without a good defence - yes, you need a balanced side and forwards generally have a better level of close control and speed off the mark(which they need to get past top defenders) but defenders generally are better at reading the game because they have to anticipate danger before it arrives. Bobby Moore was a great defender mainly because of his great reading of the game but he could also tackle brilliantly - as in the 1970 WC game v Brazil in which he was outstanding.

As for the tackling thing, I have only ever seen one forward who could do it reasonably well(i.e. without fouling his opponent)on a regular basis and that is Peter Beardsley - remember his tackle/winning of possession/chipped goal v Brighton in 84 ?

All the top sides build from the back - Clough, Revie, Shankly AND Fergie have done this and it works because unless you have brilliant forwards/midfielders like Brazil 1970, you stand a better chance of picking up points in difficult away matches if your defence can frustrate the opposition ; they in turn can only break such a defence down if THEY have top forwards and only 4 or 5 sides in the Prem possess these.

Everyone wants their side to play brilliant attacking football, but this is like expecting everyone to be able to buy a villa in Bermuda - its not realistic, and you have to do the best with what you are able to afford.

merlin....... the only thing i would take issue with there and it's probably what you mean but too many people take 'defence' literally as just meaning the back 4. you have to have a defensive plan that covers the whole 11 on the pitch. you can have as good a back 4  you want but if the rest don't work they'll be made to look crap. same goes for attacking.