FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest Heneage

Something I've wondered from the first minute I read Obi and Ash were doing these. What do you do post graduation? Go straight to a club? or continue doing low down teams and getting lucky?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Something I've wondered from the first minute I read Obi and Ash were doing these. What do you do post graduation? Go straight to a club? or continue doing low down teams and getting lucky?

All depends on how motivated and pro-active you are. I've put my name out there to start doing coaching sessions for local schools, which clubs look for as part of the 'community' bit of the CV (plus its good experience). I'll probably start sending letters to local Northern Alliance/Blue Square Teams asking if they have any vacancies available (even if they are unpaid) to build a reputation up.

Who knows, Forest Hall might be in the Northern Alliance Premier and have went Semi-Pro in the next few years!

TBC. Don't really have a clue as it stands. By the time I've completed the course, I'm hoping to have built up some decent experience along with having my Level 1, Level 2 and UEFA B sewn up. Ideally, I'd like to have started my UEFA A by that point too, although I think I may have to wait until I've graduated before starting that. I'm also hoping to utilise a couple of contacts I have by spending a few months in Australia with an NRL team (rugby league) during their pre-season to assess the fitness methods that they use and how they could be implemented in football. On top of that, I'm considering learning Spanish whilst at Uni in order to head off to Spain for a couple of years to work with a club out there, even if it's at quite a low level. They're setting the benchmark on how to play football as far as I'm concerned so that's where I believe I can learn most.

After that, I suppose it will just be a case of firing my CV off to anyone and everyone. I'd like to start at an Academy if possible and work my way through the ranks. My eventual aim is to get into management.

What Country was it for again, Ash? I'm sure it began with 'M'.

Daft question, like I'm going to remember that. :lol:

Mali - Is in West Africa (close-ish to Ghana)

Mauritania - West Africa

Malawi - East/Southern Africa

Mozambique - East/Southern Africa

Definitely wasn't Mali or Mozambique. Don't think it was Malawi either so I'm going to opt for Mauritania.

Impressive knowledge of Africa or did you get your atlas out? :razz:

Guest Heneage

TBC. Don't really have a clue as it stands. By the time I've completed the course, I'm hoping to have built up some decent experience along with having my Level 1, Level 2 and UEFA B sewn up. Ideally, I'd like to have started my UEFA A by that point too, although I think I may have to wait until I've graduated before starting that. I'm also hoping to utilise a couple of contacts I have by spending a few months in Australia with an NRL team (rugby league) during their pre-season to assess the fitness methods that they use and how they could be implemented in football. On top of that, I'm considering learning Spanish whilst at Uni in order to head off to Spain for a couple of years to work with a club out there, even if it's at quite a low level. They're setting the benchmark on how to play football as far as I'm concerned so that's where I believe I can learn most.

After that, I suppose it will just be a case of firing my CV off to anyone and everyone. I'd like to start at an Academy if possible and work my way through the ranks. My eventual aim is to get into management.

I've heard good things in regards to coaching and Holland know a few lads who went to coach and play their.

I knew Mali, Malawi and Mozambique, but cheated with the Atlas for Mauritania.

It sounded like a really obscure place which is what led me to believe it was that one. I was aware of the other three, wouldn't have known what part of Africa they were though!

I've heard good things in regards to coaching and Holland know a few lads who went to coach and play their.

That's another place I'm keeping my eye on, along with Belgium. Spain is favourite at the moment though.

Guest Heneage

How good are you with languages? Without wanting to diss VI I know the other two are slightly nicer when it comes to English speakers.

How good are you with languages? Without wanting to diss VI I know the other two are slightly nicer when it comes to English speakers.

I'm good with English, that's it. :lol: Did a French until Year 9 so know bits and pieces but not a lot, think with some refreshers I wouldn't be too bad. Also going to attempt to learn Spanish too like I mentioned in the above post.

You could always apply for the Kenya national job.

Apparently somebody just randomly applied and listed his FM achievements and got a reply a few weeks later saying that he was on their advanced shortlist :lol:

He didn't get the job but still... :lol:

There's every possibility atm that Level 3 coaches can get work with Pro clubs. There's one lad i've spoken to and this is what he emailed me for those interested :thup:

Hi Chris,

Please dont be put off by no hopers as you will meet a lot of them in life. Believe anything is possible!

I had a similar dream to yourself and was told the same as you have been by everyone bar two, separate old men. One the best coach I have ever seen who worked with grassroots players and another who was the manager of a few professional clubs.

I look my levels 1 and 2 at 16. I worked harder than anyone else of the course and worked for several non league/ grassroots and womens clubs to get the practice time. I passed both first time so studied sports coaching at college and started the UEFA B at 17. Again I worked harder than anybody else on the course and gave up playing to concentrate on coaching. Even helping our college coaches deliver sessions for the team. Whilst at college I volunteered at our local pro clubs Centre of Excellence and worked my way up to head coach of the under 10's.

I then went to university to study Sports Science as the Football Association and clubs like Manchester United Academy will rarely employ people without a degree now. I am working towards the UEFA A licence and I have worked as a paid coach at two of the biggest academies in the country. I have spent time abroad observing coaches at places like Barcelona.

If I was you I would aim to become a 1st team coach or academy manager and once you are in those positions you may be given a chance to become caretaker. This is becoming more common in England and is already the norm in Europe. As for not playing - It really does not matter, so long as you can make up for this in other areas. I would suggest taking a teaching qualification (Once you have a degree). obtain some sort of sports science qualification as this will be massive in the future and get booked on to the new FA youth coaching awards as these are excellent!

Good luck 

Christ he's done a lot for a young lad.

I was wondering when it was all going to be announced and the venue for the North East being announced. Pretty mad really that you have to go down to York for first 5 days, then 4 days, then the support days. The FA really are trying to stop people doing the level 3. So much for wanting more coaches across the country!

I need to find out what's happening with my level 3. For my final assessment when I get my pack sorted and signed off.

I was wondering when it was all going to be announced and the venue for the North East being announced. Pretty mad really that you have to go down to York for first 5 days, then 4 days, then the support days. The FA really are trying to stop people doing the level 3. So much for wanting more coaches across the country!

I need to find out what's happening with my level 3. For my final assessment when I get my pack sorted and signed off.

It is a joke like. Perhaps they just want coaches who REALLY want it and who want to be a better coach?

For me it's jobs for the boys, aiming it all more at the ex-pro's!

Such a shame that most of them haven't got a clue though. My mate plays at Hartlepool U18's and his coach was a good player for Pools back in his day but his coaching methods are terrible and all he does is effs and blinds and kicks off on the touchline. A typical joystick manager. It really is frustrating.

For me it's jobs for the boys, aiming it all more at the ex-pro's!

Such a shame that most of them haven't got a clue though. My mate plays at Hartlepool U18's and his coach was a good player for Pools back in his day but his coaching methods are terrible and all he does is effs and blinds and kicks off on the touchline. A typical joystick manager. It really is frustrating.

Yeah it is very much who and not what you know at times in football, as I have found out over the past couple of years. Not that I should really complain as I am in a brilliant place to coach.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I often feel put off when I hear stories like that, but then I think 'Would I really want to work for an organisation that operates like that'.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

First training session with the u8's in what feels like a long time! Really enjoyed it. Some of them must have been practicing in their gardens during the holidays, or I can't remember them being that good. Some of the parents commented that they've really improved during their time with me, which was great to hear. Think I tried something a little too complicated for them today, some got it some didn't - not sure if that's just an indication of who was listening or not though!

Guest Heneage

What kind of stuff do you do?

I say that as I went through about 4 managers when I was playing Sunday League, training was always the same but their management styles weren't.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

20 Minute training drill, 30 minute 'match', with themed areas and a bit of 1-2-1 coaching.

So, if I did a training session on dribbling, I'd look for the players to use that in the 30 minute match, as well as normally playing. And if I saw them doing things wrong, do a bit of coaching within the match.

Did a bit with the keeper today and 'Harry Potter Magic', since he likes Harry Potter.  :lol: I told him that I'd make the goal smaller, basically as a way for him to get used to coming off his line. So I told him to stand on the edge of the area, and watch the goal. I took a step out and asked him if it had got smaller, and his face lit up.  :lol: So, I took a few more steps, and told him that he could do that too and he'd become a giant.

Seemed to work.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Newcastle Foundation have started to do a monthly 'Coaching the Coaches' thing at Complete Soccer in Gosforth. It starts this Friday and costs £4, think this Friday's (the first one) is no fully booked (but managed to grab a place via the club). Looking forward to it, this is the kind of thing I've been looking out for.  :thup:

Newcastle Foundation have started to do a monthly 'Coaching the Coaches' thing at Complete Soccer in Gosforth. It starts this Friday and costs £4, think this Friday's (the first one) is no fully booked (but managed to grab a place via the club). Looking forward to it, this is the kind of thing I've been looking out for.  :thup:

How did you wangle that? :lol:

Do you want a lift?