FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Just level 1, experience working with the age group and a lot of begging. So, probably won't get it if uni grads are going for it.  :lol:

Never say never. Complete mongs might be going for it who could struggle in the interview. I think more than anything enthusiasm will get the job :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just level 1, experience working with the age group and a lot of begging. So, probably won't get it if uni grads are going for it.  :lol:

Never say never. Complete mongs might be going for it who could struggle in the interview. I think more than anything enthusiasm will get the job :thup:

Still applying, I've got my book of coaching notes ready for an interview, with details of every player I've coached and improvements needed. Think thats essential for any coach at any level.

Going to buy a couple of the books recommended in this thread. Will post which ones I go for later on. Definitely getting the The Future Game Book, haven't decided on the others yet though.

Update on Monkey High job. Lads who play at the academy were telling me that there is 250 applicants, and the top applicants will have to do a few sessions with the lads and the players choose their favourites. 2 jobs up for grabs i think

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Holy crap  :lol:

I'll stop my hopes now, still was a good experience applying for it and made me think how to sell myself as a coach. Probably going to be held back by experience at the moment.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd be gobsmacked if I got an interview, only got 6 months experience coaching. I think they'll see that and pass me over. Though I did go into a three page 'sell myself' pitch, explaining how I keep a book detailing every coaching session I've taken, the strengths, areas of improvement, and mental aspects of every player I've coached and how I've worked for Sports Interactive and assessed the Newcastle United squad. Explaining what the benefits were and how it helps me develop a coaching plan for the long term, as well as the short term. How it also allows me to 'group' players together to help structure the overall coaching session so the advanced players can work together on a more complex theory, while the other players can work together to get the basics right - all of them as a team working on the same principle though.

Weaker players worknig on the technique, advanced players working on the why, or on their other foot.

:lol: I'm a right arse for using Sports Interactive for any job interview.  :iamatwat:

:lol:

Made me laugh at the end there. You never know they might think your very in depth and what harm will there be if they gave you an interview? There'll be very few candidates with everything they want rolled into one. Just impossible.

Guest jeffers09

Went to a interview today regarding level 3 but as my grades are not good enough i cannot yet get in.

So ive just enrolled on a foundation diploma in sport level 1 were i will be able to work on my maths and english aswell and hopefully get them up to C grades

Not really sure what the course is about propley tho anybody here been on it or have any knowledge?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

:lol:

Made me laugh at the end there. You never know they might think your very in depth and what harm will there be if they gave you an interview? There'll be very few candidates with everything they want rolled into one. Just impossible.

Here's hoping, I'd be over the moon even if it was for an interview. Did you apply, Guv?

Went to a interview today regarding level 3 but as my grades are not good enough i cannot yet get in.

So ive just enrolled on a foundation diploma in sport level 1 were i will be able to work on my maths and english aswell and hopefully get them up to C grades

Not really sure what the course is about propley tho anybody here been on it or have any knowledge?

Not sure you need school grades to take a Football Coaching course, unless you were going straight into level 3 without any prior experience (which I'm not sure is possible). Was it part of a College Course or was it through one of the FA Websites?

No, i'm not applying, i'm still at school. But i know a few of the lads at the academy. If you get an interview give me a shout :thup:

And i'm pretty sure you don't need qualifications for coaching badges

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No, i'm not applying, i'm still at school. But i know a few of the lads at the academy. If you get an interview give me a shout :thup:

No, you don't (unless its part of a college course). The only qualifications you need are FA ones, which you get by doing the course anyway! To do level 3 you need to have done level 2, do to level 2 you need to have confidence in your coaching abilities. Anyone can attempt Level 1.

Guest jeffers09

The next step for me is uni Obi and ive been told today by the bloke who i had the interview with that i would have no chance with grades like i have, so ive got to take a few steps back to progress it seems.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The next step for me is uni Obi and ive been told today by the bloke who i had the interview with that i would have no chance with grades like i have, so ive got to take a few steps back to progress it seems.

Ah right. Well for the Sports Science/Coaching courses the ones up here in Newcastle are very popular and are usually fully allocated by Jan. I'm waiting to see if any spaces pop up in Clearing, but not sure they will. So yeah, having good grades is a must for those. But for the coaching badges themselves, you can just turn up and take them if you have the time and money.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Find a local club, they'll pay for you to take your level 1 course. Generally all they ask in return is that you stay and coach a team for a year or two to repay the investment.

They put an advert in the Metro like which might explain the number of applicants.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bought a few books:

FA Learning: Psychology for Footballhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Guide-Psychology-Football-Association/dp/0340816015 - decent introduction to coaching youngsters, and how best to challenge them mentally.

How to Coach a Soccer Team: Professional Advice on Building a Winning Team  http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Coach-Soccer-Team-Professional/dp/0600610799/ref=pd_sim_b_1 - great book full of coaching drills, with progressions. Perhaps a little too complex for U11s, but a good source for ideas and a starting point.

Those Feet http://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-Feet-Sensual-History-Football/dp/0747579148/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279863150&sr=1-2 - not a coaching book, but a book similar to Calcio/Brilliant Orjange, only it looks into the history and development of football in England. Does a decent job of explaining why we play the style we do (direct kick and chase). A good book to read beside this would be Inverting the Pyramid, which covers the developing of tactics as a whole.

Tell me if you recommend any after reading them Chris if that's okay? :)

Been using the How to Coach a Soccer Team: Professional Advice on Building a Winning Team over the last few weeks with my team. Not entirely just ripping the idea from the page, but looking at it and thinking how I could use it/change it to benefit the team. There's around 100+ coaching sessions in there, all of which if you have the time you can modify/link up with each other to last a very long time.

It doesn't go into the detail behind the coaching too much, which is a shame, though I personally like it as it challenges me as a coach to think 'How will this benefit/teach the team', 'What am I looking for to get out of this?'. If I can work that out by myself, I'm more likely to remember it and get the point across to the team. (Mini Rant ahead): The one thing I've noticed between when I was playing and coaching, is that when I was a playing my coaching was 15 minutes running, then 45 minutes on a game. My coach's coaching style was 'GOT TO DO BETTER THAN THAT!', not once did he ever explain the theory behind it. So, I'm personally trying to make sure I do that whenever I think its possible without strangling the natural development from making mistakes.

1st mistake - let it go

2nd mistake - looks like an issue

3rd mistake repeated - stop the game and coach

FA Learning: Psychology for Football

I've enjoyed it. Its very light and won't hold the attention of anyone who did Sports Pyschology, or even Psychology, but for a reminder/pointer in the right direction its a good start. Helped me set up my coaching book.

Will you be purchasing this, Chris?

Just put my order down, I'll let you know when I get it.

Also where can I get one of those wipe boards? :aww:

http://www.1st4sport.com/p-794-1st4sportcom-perspex-coaching-board.aspx

---

Anyone used this: http://www.gameplanner.co.uk/products.asp?productid=1 seems expensive for what it does.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Arrived this morning, wasn't expecting that to arrive so quickly. A lot bigger than I thought.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Had a quick look through, but I'll have a proper read through tomorrow. A lot 'thicker' than I thought it would be.

Arrived this morning, wasn't expecting that to arrive so quickly. A lot bigger than I thought.

Just ordered one too. :thup:

Question about coaching credentials.....our local soccer association in TX is looking to hire some british coaches to run an academy program for U8s.  I'm told they will have UEFA level 1 or 2.

What sort of qualification is that?  Basic, couple of grades up the line, suitable to coach what age group etc

What does it take to get this qualification?

Wondering if the qualification is all that or not (and they hope we don't know the difference)