The Adelphi

Thespence

Terry  & his memorabilia are leaving the Adelphi the boozer has been taken over by the all conquering Ladhar group.Obviously Terry has made headlines for other reasons over the years but it was always a good place to have drink & look around @ the stuff on the walls.

Guest BooBoo

Great pub and a Newcastle institution. Sad news, had some good times in there despite it sometimes attracting the odd nutter.

Terry's my mate's uncle and employed my mate behind the bar for a canny while until they fell out. I agree, canny bar despite the knackers, haven't been for ages though tbh.

Own f***ing everywhere...http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2007/02/23/is-the-party-over-50081-18666043/2/

They own what used to be Liquid as well. Uncofirmed is  Pumphries. Done well for a couple of Asian lads that ran a nursing home in Wallsend.

Guest Phil K

Only been in there once recently, and that a few months back. Popped in with a mate, and chatted to the feller behind the bar about their lack of real ales (didn't have any on that night) and he seemed a genuinely nice bloke. The baldy fat lager-drinking moron in his 50s he was talking to kept trying to say sneering half-witted insults that i couldn't quite follow. My mate stood looking at the dope in amazement, while I just ignored the fool. I think my mate said "Enjoy your....LAGER" to the fat jerk as we left.

But the feller running the bar WAS a good bloke, and if "five bellies, no brain" hadn't poked his oar in, I think we'd have chatted more.

So I can understand the affection being shown, although it wasn't my kind of bar.

Free Trade, Cumberland Arms, The Aletaster in Low Fell, County in Gosforth and several bars in North Shields are my kind.

While if I ever manage to get time for a match - I work most saturdays -  it's the Newcastle Arms for me. (Rarely Strawberry on a matchday, I go there when the lads want a City Centre night out)

But is the Adelphi being closed, or just changed ? Hope not the name, good name, Adelphi.

And if it's Theatre trade they're after, Adelphi hits the spot.

Only been in there once recently, and that a few months back. Popped in with a mate, and chatted to the feller behind the bar about their lack of real ales (didn't have any on that night) and he seemed a genuinely nice bloke. The baldy fat lager-drinking moron in his 50s he was talking to kept trying to say sneering half-witted insults that i couldn't quite follow. My mate stood looking at the dope in amazement, while I just ignored the fool. I think my mate said "Enjoy your....LAGER" to the fat jerk as we left.

But the feller running the bar WAS a good bloke, and if "five bellies, no brain" hadn't poked his oar in, I think we'd have chatted more.

So I can understand the affection being shown, although it wasn't my kind of bar.

Free Trade, Cumberland Arms, The Aletaster in Low Fell, County in Gosforth and several bars in North Shields are my kind.

While if I ever manage to get time for a match - I work most saturdays -  it's the Newcastle Arms for me. (Rarely Strawberry on a matchday, I go there when the lads want a City Centre night out)

But is the Adelphi being closed, or just changed ? Hope not the name, good name, Adelphi.

:thup: good pub.

NOt closing for good but think it's being refurbed and they want to concentrate on the theatre trade and not Football but it's been a football bar for as long as i can remember, long before Tess took it over.

had a few cracking nights in there over the years. terry did have a fantastic amount of memrobilia on the walls. only ever bumped into a couple of shady characters in suits  in there, who we got on with and talked about iron maiden oddly enough, before they went up to 'attend to a bit of business in heaton'. it'll be a shame for another 'proper' pub to go by the wayside