Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

So if he's that prone to a booking, he'll probably get to 5 yellows, then 10, etc. pretty quickly and be suspended next season anyway so why not play him when he is available.

Games at the start of next season aren't meaningless.

He may not even be here next season though.

We are not in a position of being able to leave out our best players, we have no one to come in and replace them.

Maybe that's why we're leaving him out.

So if he's that prone to a booking, he'll probably get to 5 yellows, then 10, etc. pretty quickly and be suspended next season anyway so why not play him when he is available.

We are not in a position of being able to leave out our best players, we have no one to come in and replace them.

adds to his price then.

:coolsmiley:

Yep. Come August we should have Nolan, Gosling & Ben Arfa fit and a new centre-forward. In the event Tiote is suspended we'd be in a better position to still do well without him than what we will in our next two games where we have no-one available.

And they're not meaningless games to me, would mean a lot to me to see us going all out for a top 10 finish, something we've done once since 2004 than simply finishing 12th to 14th which seems our average since then.

Surely you don't believe that man? :lol:

The other club would just wait until nearer the September 1st deadline where he'd be available again anyway.

Surely you don't believe that man? :lol:

The other club would just wait until nearer the September 1st deadline where he'd be available again anyway.

Not saying I believe we're selling him, just saying that the fact he might not be here is hardly a reason to risk him being suspended and reducing his value in any way.

Btw, should we have played Nolan in these games? Could have put that operation off until the end of the season.

He looked obviously injured last saturday and if his injury warrants an operation then he isn't fit to play.

Tiote is fit to play and isn't suspended.

Btw, should we have played Nolan in these games? Could have put that operation off until the end of the season.

went under the knife didn't he ? surely it's best to get it over with as soon as we were safe. more recovery time and less chance of making things worse ?

He looked obviously injured last saturday and if his injury warrants an operation then he isn't fit to play.

Tiote is fit to play and isn't suspended.

Many on here said he was good in that game. If it needed an operation then I'm sure another couple of games wouldn't have hurt. We're desperate, remember.

No because I think it's been clear for a few weeks now he hasn't been fully fit and once safety was secure there's no need to risk him getting injured more seriously.

Huge difference between that and not trusting a player to not get booked for 2 games.

Hopefully in January Ivory Coast will follow suit anyway and just not bother taking him incase he gets booked in a couple of games and misses one of the knockout games.

went under the knife didn't he ? surely it's best to get it over with as soon as we were safe. more recovery time and less chance of making things worse ?

I agree with you, just saying that to me the circumstances are similar. No point risking either.

I feel as though Nolan would don the colours if we were in a position similar to the likes of Wigan or Wolves. He is being left out for precaution. Just as Tiote is being left out for precaution. Why make them play in meaningless fixtures, when you are only increasing the chances of their inavailability for ones that are important in terms of the club achieving their goals?

The CIV comparison makes absolutely no sense.

I agree with you, just saying that to me the circumstances are similar. No point risking either.

aye, i'm with that.

Any benefit of playing him is grossly outweighed by the potential downside of his being unavailable for 3 (or 2) games next season.  Literally cannot fathom how any sane person can argue for his inclusion in two games that effect nothing (one of which we'll likely lose with or without him) with the risk of that suspension looming. 

If we were staring relegation in the face or had even an outside shot at Europe, yes.  No Argument.  I'd agree every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  But seriously, fuck taking that risk with nothing but a league place or two to play for.

Any benefit of playing him is grossly outweighed by the potential downside of his being unavailable for 3 (or 2) games next season.  Literally cannot fathom how any sane person can argue for his inclusion in two games that effect nothing (one of which we'll likely lose with or without him) with the risk of that suspension looming. 

If we were staring relegation in the face or had even an outside shot at Europe, yes.  No Argument.  I'd agree every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  But seriously, f*** taking that risk with nothing but a league place or two to play for.

Serious question but where do you hope we'll finish next year?

Btw considering the injuries we have and the general lack of squad depth, I don't think anyone paying silly money to go to Chelsea can really expect anything other than a severely weakened team. I fully admire their loyalty going down there, but I think anyone not realising the game is a dead rubber for both sides is a bit deluded. It's the second last game too, in the vast majority of seasons it would be the same.

Hope? 1st.

Expect?  8th or 9th. 

With 4-6 points we could probably do that this year. Even in the event Tiote is suspended in August we'd have 35 or so games to turn it around, there's a chance we could achieve what you expect from us next season, this season if we played Tiote.

Hope? 1st.

Expect?  8th or 9th. 

With 4-6 points we could probably do that this year. Even in the event Tiote is suspended in August we'd have 35 or so games to turn it around, there's a chance we could achieve what you expect from us next season, this season if we played Tiote.

alternativly we could already be there if he hadn't missed so many games this season so minimising the games he'd miss next season now that we are safe should be the order.

Hope? 1st.

Expect?  8th or 9th. 

he's important enough to not put next seasons start and goal in jeopardy for the sole goal of (possibly) overachieving this season 

Hope? 1st.

Expect?  8th or 9th. 

he's important enough to not put next seasons start and goal in jeopardy for the sole goal of (possibly) overachieving this season 

Looking at the teams below us and just above us, I don't think top half would have overachieved at all. A squad with Carroll for half a season, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Coloccini, Enrique & Jonas should be finishing top 10 tbh. Just because we're "newly promoted" shouldn't change that.

Hope? 1st.

Expect?  8th or 9th. 

Looking at the teams below us and just above us, I don't think top half would have overachieved at all. A squad with Carroll for half a season, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Coloccini, Enrique & Jonas should be finishing top 10 tbh. Just because we're "newly promoted" shouldn't change that.

Did you or did you not vote "yes" in the "Would You Take 17th Place Right now" thread?

edit: my bad, I had you confiused with another poster - no, no you didn't.