Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Whinge about lack of depth and whinge about a perfectly serviceable depth player being retained, bizarre IMO

Serviceable for what? League 1?  Not the premiership.

Of course he's servicable, not as a starter but he provides perfectly decent depth and his record proves it. He's happy to be "depth" (which shouldn't be underestimated) is evidently a good influence in the dressing room. Seriously what's not to like.

It's not like they'll be getting shot of Cisse because of this and Shola is to be our featured striker FFS

I'd rather have Shola than £5 Million man Danny Graham any day of any week.

Danny Graham is a better footballer than Ameobi.

Never in a million years, Shola has a core of great skill/technique and has been fucked by a dodgy hip, never reached his full potential sadly, but eminently serviceable.

How many European goals has Mr Graham got ???

Guest Roger Kint

Whinge about lack of depth and whinge about a perfectly serviceable depth player being retained, bizarre IMO

Clueless as ever. He has enough to make an impact at times, should never be a starter but games like the mackems, QPR at home where he turned 1 point into 3 when we didnt look like scoring etc shows he can do something as a player in the PL however limited he is. Plus he clearly has a good influence around the dressing room so why not keep him?

Clueless, look who's talking.

I'm happy to have him around if he's 4th or 5th choice as I've said earlier, the way ToonPack is talking he wants him as backup directly for Cisse.  A 2nd choice striker for us should have a better record than 6 goals in last 2 seasons.  It puts extra pressure on Cisse to score and scoring goals has been a problem for us last few seasons imo, not enough people contributing.

:lol:

Going to walk away as showing you up again is too easy. Read your League 1 quote and then have a long hard think as even you are contridicting yourself now. You have gone from that to accpeting him within two posts. Like i said clueless when you end up arguing against yourself :lol:

Of course he's servicable, not as a starter but he provides perfectly decent depth and his record proves it. He's happy to be "depth" (which shouldn't be underestimated) is evidently a good influence in the dressing room. Seriously what's not to like.

It's not like they'll be getting shot of Cisse because of this and Shola is to be our featured striker FFS

I'd rather have Shola than £5 Million man Danny Graham any day of any week.

Danny Graham is a better footballer than Ameobi.

Never in a million years, Shola has a core of great skill/technique and has been fucked by a dodgy hip, never reached his full potential sadly, but eminently serviceable.

How many European goals has Mr Graham got ???

How many Champions League medals has Yanga-Mbiwa got?

The people who are pleased with this have such low expectations. If we got rid of Shola and bought a striker who can actually make an impact on games it'd be like night and day.

Really can't believe there's still people in 2013 who gladly accept what he offers.

Guest neesy111

Clueless as ever. He has enough to make an impact at times, should never be a starter but games like the mackems, QPR at home where he turned 1 point into 3 when we didnt look like scoring etc shows he can do something as a player in the PL however limited he is. Plus he clearly has a good influence around the dressing room so why not keep him?

I'm happy to have him around if he's 4th or 5th choice as I've said earlier, the way ToonPack is talking he wants him as backup directly for Cisse.  A 2nd choice striker for us should have a better record than 6 goals in last 2 seasons.  It puts extra pressure on Cisse to score and scoring goals has been a problem for us last few seasons imo, not enough people contributing.

Going to walk away as showing you up again is too easy. Read your League 1 quote and then have a long hard think as even you are contridicting yourself now. You have gone from that to accpeting him within two posts. Like i said clueless when you end up arguing against yourself :lol:

Yeah right, whatever.

Please quote where I said that, or is it a lie, or just your incomprehension of the written word ?

51 goals in 282 appearances.  A record any decent midfielder would be happy with.

9 goals in his last 74 Premier League appearances.  1 in 19 this season.  2 in 27 last season.

What a mess we have.

Guest neesy111

How many FA Cups has Lionel Messi won?

Never mind that, how many matches on a wet January night at Stoke has he singlehandedly won?

Yeah, exactly. None. Exactly.

I knew that cliche was going to come out.

Guest Roger Kint

The people who are pleased with this have such low expectations. If we got rid of Shola and bought a striker who can actually make an impact on games it'd be like night and day.

Really can't believe there's still people in 2013 who gladly accept what he offers.

I will shock you here but i do believe its entirely possible to do both. Incredible i know but theres no rule that states we can only have one back up to Cisse.

Guest neesy111

Please quote where I said that, or is it a lie, or just your incomprehension of the written word ?

You've said he's better than Graham.  Graham would be 2nd choice striker immediately if he came here.

Guest Roger Kint

We all know that the only reason we are keeping him is our inability to afford to buy a replacement.

A sad state.

Aye Ashley is a secret St Ettiene fan, cant be any other reason for him watching a match involving a striker we were supposed to have bid for 2 months ago :lol:

If we kept Shola (as depth) and bought a striker who can actually make an impact on games it'd be even better.

We all know that the only reason we are keeping him is our inability to afford to buy a replacement.

A sad state.

Aye Ashley is a secret St Ettiene fan, cant be any other reason for him watching a match involving a striker we were supposed to have bid for 2 months ago :lol:

And that possible future leaves us with 2 strikers.

I will shock you here but i do believe its entirely possible to do both. Incredible i know but theres no rule that states we can only have one back up to Cisse.

Buy 2 young strikers then, which is what we should be doing anyway if Campbell isn't near enough to being ready.

We really need Shola to have an extended run in the first team this season just to remind everybody.

If we kept Shola (as depth) and bought a striker who can actually make an impact on games it'd be even better.

Then we are in one of our least favourite situations, the good old "one injury away from having to field garbage"...

Guest Roger Kint

A sad state.

And that possible future leaves us with 2 strikers.

I can count Cisse, New Guy, Shola, Campbell with Goufrann also a striker. And that is assuming we know how the summer will go which we dont. But yeah only two aye?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shola-ameobi-offered-new-contract-1943164

By Lee Ryder

New contract deal for striker Shola Ameobi

23 Mar 2013 08:35

Newcastle United stalwart Shola Ameobi is set to be rewarded for his services with a new contract offer – that’s if he wants to extend his stay at St James’ Park

Shola Ameobi is set to be offered a new contract by Alan Pardew.

The 31-year-old will go into the last year of his current contract at the end of the season and Pardew is keen to extend his stay on Tyneside.

However, Pardew has suggested that Ameobi may consider a change of scenery after spending his entire career at St James’ Park.

Ameobi may well split the opinion of United fans, but he is deemed an influential figure for the Magpies behind the scenes and younger professionals regard him as a role model at the club.

And Pardew is hoping to keep him with Newcastle into his peak years. This has been the case at Manchester United with established stars like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes with Sir Alex Ferguson tending to top up contracts on a yearly basis.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “He’s still got another year here with us.

“And I don’t see a problem extending that. We’ll see.”

Regardless of Ameobi’s popularity at the club with the backroom staff though, the Academy product has not been a first choice for Pardew.

Ameobi – who is officially the Premier League’s most used substitute in history with 122 appearances from the bench – may consider a stint elsewhere in order to gain regular first- team football.

Of course, given Ameobi’s love for United it would be a major decision.

Having played under Sir Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew, only Keegan attempted to offload him.

That was in 2008 when he was loaned out to Stoke City under Tony Pulis during the Potters’ rise from the Championship.

And Pardew indicated that Ameobi has a decision to make in the coming months.

United – like any club – don’t like players’ contracts to run down to beyond the final year with a Bosman transfer reducing their chance of recouping a fee.

Pardew said: “I think the bottom line with Shola will be how long he wants to stay at one club, because he’s been here all his career.

“I hope he wants to stay, but that’ll be his decision.”

Ameobi could move beyond Alan Shearer to 50 European appearances in the upcoming two-legged clash with Benfica.

He has 76 goals for the Magpies with 15 of his goals coming during his 49 games in European competition.

Ameobi has made 288 Premier League appearances, 18 appearances in the FA Cup and 13 in the League Cup.