Poole 1 v 2 Whitley Bay

Crumpy Gunt

Aye

He's a cracking player mate. Went to watch Benfield v Blyth in the Northumberland Senior Cup last week and he would walk into that Blyth side at the minute.

When he left he was still club captain at Blyth, but after 10 years felt the spark had gone a bit. Way too good for Northern League standard.

Would be great to Whitley Bay come up, although it would mean waving goodbye to the Vase.

I hope they do take promotion, it'd be nice to see more Northern League teams take the leap from the comfort zone. More North-East teams participating in the pyramid can only be a good thing for the region.

Agree 100% with this. The more northern league teams that take the plunge and go for promotion the easier it will get as the travelling is the big stumbling block at present with the majority of teams in the next league up being from the north west. Safety in numbers if you like.

Guest Geordiesned

Lost 2-0 at home to Ashington today (ending their 18 game winning streak) but I don't know how. Well I do - the Ashington keeper had an absolute blinder.

More worrying though was that Paul Chow was carried off and taken straight to hospital for a scan on (I think) his ankle.

Guest Geordiesned

Actually should have checked Twitter for news on Chow first:

#favase latest: Paul Chow suffers a badly sprained ankle in Bay defeat but should be fit for Wembley.

For anybody who doesn't yet know.

Whitley Bay FC are hosting a Talk In with Alan Pardew on 29th April.

Tickets are a tenner, and there is a buffet.

For a tenner with Pardew and a buffet I'll pass, sounds like it will be a shit talk in and shit food.

Guest Roger Kint

Actually should have checked Twitter for news on Chow first:

#favase latest: Paul Chow suffers a badly sprained ankle in Bay defeat but should be fit for Wembley.

Chowy doesnt seem so confident himself mind, hasnt given up hope yet though he has a cast on it so god knows really.

Seen Paul Chow at the West Allotment match on Good Friday. He didn't have a cast on then and when he was asked whether he would be fit for the Final he said he probably would be and in fact he was hoping to play some part in what could be a crucial match in the race for 2nd place against Newcastle Benfield on Monday. Noticed he was walking with a slight limp mind.

Guest Roger Kint

Seen Paul Chow at the West Allotment match on Good Friday. He didn't have a cast on then and when he was asked whether he would be fit for the Final he said he probably would be and in fact he was hoping to play some part in what could be a crucial match in the race for 2nd place against Newcastle Benfield on Monday. Noticed he was walking with a slight limp mind.

Was what i was told off his mate, i got told on Friday though so may have been taken off before then if he had it at all.

Guest Jonny

Whitley Bay finished in 3rd place behind 2nd place on goal difference. Does this mean they cannot be promoted?

Yes, even though the teams that finished 1st and 2nd chose not to be promoted!

Whitley Bay finished in 3rd place behind 2nd place on goal difference. Does this mean they cannot be promoted?

Yes, they are promoted or yes they haven't been promoted :lol:

I'm surprised Spenny didn't put in for promotion tbh like!

Yes, they are promoted or yes they haven't been promoted :lol:

I'm surprised Spenny didn't put in for promotion tbh like!

they are going up as far as i am aware... spenny chose not to apply to go up because ground needs work done too it.. and teh owner wants the club to have a bit more money behind it before going up so similar things dont happen to what happened a few years ago (club folded due to the costs of been in the unibond at the time etc etc)

I was at the Newcastle Benfield v Whitley Bay match on Monday and the general opinion afterwards was that as things stand they wouldn't be promoted as they finished outside the top 2. However there was also a strong rumour that Harrogate Railway have asked to come out of the Evo Stik league and join the Northern League in which case it would be possible for the 2 clubs to be swapped around. There was also talk that Whitley could be handpicked to join the Evo Stik League by the FA as they have attendances far higher than any other team in that league except Chester who have been promoted anyway.

In my opinion the only way it would make sense to take Promotion would be if they had a plan to go as high as the Conference North as the standard of Evo Stik Division 1 isn't as good as the Northern League and Evo Stik Premier is probably only on a par or marginally better, which is proven when Northern League teams play teams from those leagues in the FA Cup. Add that to the massively increased travelling costs, increased player wages & possible lower crowds as away teams will bring hardly any supporters compared to the bigger Northern League clubs and you can see why things can go badly wrong, like what happened to Spennymoor United a few years ago when they took Promotion and it turned into a farce when they couldn't afford to complete their last half dozen fixtures and they went bust and came back as Spennymoor Town. Durham City have also had big problems since entering Evo Stik.

On the other hand you have Gateshead & Blyth Spartans who managed to get out of that league with Gateshead now thriving and have even gone Professional in the Conference Premier and Blyth, after one or two financial scares finishing just outside the Play offs in the Conference North.

In my opinion the only way it would make sense to take Promotion would be if they had a plan to go as high as the Conference North as the standard of Evo Stik Division 1 isn't as good as the Northern League and Evo Stik Premier is probably only on a par or marginally better, which is proven when Northern League teams play teams from those leagues in the FA Cup. Add that to the massively increased travelling costs, increased player wages & possible lower crowds as away teams will bring hardly any supporters compared to the bigger Northern League clubs and you can see why things can go badly wrong, like what happened to Spennymoor United a few years ago when they took Promotion and it turned into a farce when they couldn't afford to complete their last half dozen fixtures and they went bust and came back as Spennymoor Town. Durham City have also had big problems since entering Evo Stik.

I'd say the Evo-Stick Premier is probably the equivalent of the top 6 Northern League sides, so essentially the difference is that the better players can't plod through the lesser games and get by on ability alone.

I hope the FA offer Whitley promotion and they take it, they certainly have nothing left to prove at that level.