Rate our summer transfer window

High Five o
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This Team mainly built this summer and a small part last is 10 times better than the s*** we were left with by a string of s*** managers since SBR left. Theres no pleasing some people. 

Throwing money at Luque, Owen types and other s*** didn`t work then and it wouldn`t have worked this window. Same with the midfield, I don`t want Duff`s ( money grabber types ) I don`t want Nolans ( Fat has beens coming to the twlight of there careers ) I didn`t want Bartons/ Rangers ( bad press ).

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

I think to build a decent squad that will last more than 3-4 years takes time and a little disappointment. Outside of the top 6 I don`t really see any striker we should or could have had without throwing stupid money and pissing off current players on probably half the wages. Yet people act like its all down to the people running the club being stupid. Man City and a few others continue to buy anyone they want, causing the other clubs slightly less rich to buy players that might have been going to slightly lower clubs and its a snowball effect, look at Arsenal buying unchararistically for example. Theres not a pile of good players sitting around with p45`s we are just ignoring.

Also, you mention building a sqaud...we let go Enrique, Barton, Nolan and Routledge, brought in new players to the prem.

That's one of the few things I'm excited about. The clubs financial standing must be better then it ever has been. We are always trying to make good deals nowadays. If there just were a few more of those.

It's healthy and I'm really glad we are not buying 30years olds for 10M or the like.

Think we had a really good window. Would of liked to have seen a Rodallega or Sturridge brought in, but we can't have everything we want. (for that I go to football manager) 9/10 window.

I don't understand why would people seem more interested in a single striker than others.

Goal scoring strikers are the most expensive commodities in the market. What chances are there that we could easily find one that is cheap and reliable ? Actually we already found one - Demba Ba!

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a shit midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

As for whether the Carroll money has been reinvested. I think it is important for the club to keep a healthy balance sheet. It is not as if the owner is syphoning the money out of the game. The money is still being reinvested into the club to cut interest, debt.

Lastly, one must remember that while Carroll commanded a huge transfer fee, his wages wasn't high (as far as I am aware). Even though we got Cabaye, Ba, and Obertan in with little transfer fee, some of the Carroll's 35M surely would go into their wages.

Could we have done better ? Yes, we could always have. But which club (bar top 4 who could throw money around) have done better than us ?

Very good post.. And I don't think people would have been happy if we had blown our money away on players like Crouch, Jerome or SWP either..

I'd have been quite happy to have blown that money on Ruiz though instead of watching Fulham blow us out of the water while we scrabbled about at the last minute like clueless spastics.

This Team mainly built this summer and a small part last is 10 times better than the s*** we were left with by a string of s*** managers since SBR left. Theres no pleasing some people.  

Throwing money at Luque, Owen types and other s*** didn`t work then and it wouldn`t have worked this window. Same with the midfield, I don`t want Duff`s ( money grabber types ) I don`t want Nolans ( Fat has beens coming to the twlight of there careers ) I didn`t want Bartons/ Rangers ( bad press ).

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

I think to build a decent squad that will last more than 3-4 years takes time and a little disappointment. Outside of the top 6 I don`t really see any striker we should or could have had without throwing stupid money and pissing off current players on probably half the wages. Yet people act like its all down to the people running the club being stupid. Man City and a few others continue to buy anyone they want, causing the other clubs slightly less rich to buy players that might have been going to slightly lower clubs and its a snowball effect, look at Arsenal buying unchararistically for example. Theres not a pile of good players sitting around with p45`s we are just ignoring.

8 months to buy a striker, plenty of time to negotiate with other clubs.

Other teams in and around our league position managed to tie up deals for strikers...

Stop talking shyte, no NUFC fan wants has beens at the club anymore but we can see when a player has value to the squad.

Barton and Nolan would have been very useful for at least another season to at least help the new players bed into the prem league and not forgetting they both had a decent previous season, so its not like they were not preforming.

Back to the striker, 8 months to cut a deal and it still wasn't done.

Stop kidding yourself man.

What Striker would you have wanted that a team got in and around our league position i`m looking and I don`t see any ?  The same goes for all the other clubs, they have all had a year to get this top striker out there ?

I don't understand why would people seem more interested in a single striker than others.

Goal scoring strikers are the most expensive commodities in the market. What chances are there that we could easily find one that is cheap and reliable ? Actually we already found one - Demba Ba!

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a shit midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

As for whether the Carroll money has been reinvested. I think it is important for the club to keep a healthy balance sheet. It is not as if the owner is syphoning the money out of the game. The money is still being reinvested into the club to cut interest, debt.

Lastly, one must remember that while Carroll commanded a huge transfer fee, his wages wasn't high (as far as I am aware). Even though we got Cabaye, Ba, and Obertan in with little transfer fee, some of the Carroll's 35M surely would go into their wages.

Could we have done better ? Yes, we could always have. But which club (bar top 4 who could throw money around) have done better than us ?

Very good post.. And I don't think people would have been happy if we had blown our money away on players like Crouch, Jerome or SWP either..

I'd have been quite happy to have blown that money on Ruiz though instead of watching Fulham blow us out of the water while we scrabbled about at the last minute like clueless spastics.

In Ruiz' case it wasn't about money. We offered a better contract, but Fulham nursed him for months..

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

Also, you mention building a sqaud...we let go Enrique, Barton, Nolan and Routledge, brought in new players to the prem.

Enrique / Santon , Barton / Cabaye,  Nolan / Ben Arfa, Routledge / Marveux.   All the out goings you mention went for various reasons. Barton was probably the only one that should have or could have stayed.

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a s*** midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

With you until here as I do think we would be below average on comparing all PL sides at the end last season with the start of this one.

If i had to give each side a grade on squad strength improvement between end of last season and now (not taking expenditure into account, C=Sideways)

Arsenal D-

Aston Villa C-

Blackburn B

Bolton B+

Chelsea B-

Everton D

Fulham B-

Liverpool A

Man City B+

Newcastle United B-

Norwich B

QPR A-

Stoke City B+

Swansea B

Tottenham C

WBA C

Wigan C-

Wolves B

In Ruiz' case it wasn't about money. We offered a better contract, but Fulham nursed him for months..

Well yeah. It's what you do when you genuinely want a player rather than piss about under-bidding for players who aren't available.

It is also pointless to have a goal scoring striker but a s*** midfield support. Matter of fact, we have massively strengthen our midfield with the French triplet. I would not trade these 3 for an overpriced proven striker.

With you until here as I do think we would be below average on comparing all PL sides at the end last season with the start of this one.

If i had to give each side a grade on squad strength improvement between end of last season and now (not taking expenditure into account, C=Sideways)

Arsenal D-

Aston Villa C-

Blackburn B

Bolton B+

Chelsea B-

Everton D

Fulham B-

Liverpool A

Man City B+

Newcastle United B-

Norwich B

QPR A-

Stoke City B+

Swansea B

Tottenham C

WBA C

Wigan C-

Wolves B

pretty good reflection..Norwich a B though  ?

Well yeah. It's what you do when you genuinely want a player rather than piss about under-bidding for players who aren't available.

We did the same thing with Gameiro and Erdnic..When the player himself doesn't want a move, the club can't do nothing about it. On the other hand, Santon said that the way we treated him was a reason why he signed for us, even though he had better offers. So it works both ways. Players are humans too, some you manage to connect with, others not.

Healthy balance sheet??!?!?!? 

We brought in 47 mil and spent 12 mil!

Thats fucking healthy, no nufc fan was expecting kaka or rooney but we should have at least been able to buy someone like Ruiz ffs.

Stop kidding yourself man. FFS

But if we were starting at minus 50 million then the balance sheet isn't fucking healthy, just healthier.

We've been spending money on the credit cards for at least a decade, just because we have had a windfall and a couple of years of cost cutting doesn't mean the balance gets written off and we have all this money to spend, some of the money received still needs to be used to plug prior year losses that we have. Most clubs operate on this principle over a period of time - watch Liverpool in 2 years time if their Champions League gamble falls short, they certainly wont be spunking £20m on 20 year olds then.

Some of the reactions last few days, Seems that the ownership/managment can`t win.  Most of the transfer movement I would say 80% were crap players we wouldn`t have wanted, the other 20% end up at the big time clubs.  At the moment NUFC are either a downwards step or a sideways step for most decent strikers end of and what would be the point of bringing in a striker no better than what we have or paying 20mill for maybe 3 extra goals a season by someone slightly better just to appease the people who don`t see the bigger picture.

Other teams in and around our league position managed to tie up deals for strikers...

Stop talking shyte, no NUFC fan wants has beens at the club anymore but we can see when a player has value to the squad.

Barton and Nolan would have been very useful for at least another season to at least help the new players bed into the prem league and not forgetting they both had a decent previous season, so its not like they were not preforming.

What Striker would you have wanted that a team got in and around our league position i`m looking and I don`t see any ?  The same goes for all the other clubs, they have all had a year to get this top striker out there ?

We could have had ruiz (if we really were in for him), we could have taken Bendtnar on loan, we could have treated Sochaux with more respect and maybe could have cut a deal for Maiga, we supposedly pissed about for the two guys from PSG, we sniffed about Roux.  We seemed to do most of our sniffing around one league with the exception of Santon who we SIGNED!

Theres plenty of leagues around the world to scout players, not just france!

Healthy balance sheet??!?!?!? 

We brought in 47 mil and spent 12 mil!

Thats fucking healthy, no nufc fan was expecting kaka or rooney but we should have at least been able to buy someone like Ruiz ffs.

Stop kidding yourself man. FFS

But if we were starting at minus 50 million then the balance sheet isn't fucking healthy, just healthier.

We've been spending money on the credit cards for at least a decade, just because we have had a windfall and a couple of years of cost cutting doesn't mean the balance gets written off and we have all this money to spend, some of the money received still needs to be used to plug prior year losses that we have. Most clubs operate on this principle over a period of time - watch Liverpool in 2 years time if their Champions League gamble falls short, they certainly wont be spunking £20m on 20 year olds then.

Shh, don't let basic accounting get in the way of the knobs on here.

Enrique / Santon , Barton / Cabaye,  Nolan / Ben Arfa, Routledge / Marveux.  All the out goings you mention went for various reasons. Barton was probably the only one that should have or could have stayed.

So we couldn't have kept enrique despite him saying on numerous occasions that he was waiting to see what happens with the carroll money.

Really could have established ourself as a geneuine top 7-9 club with a little more wise investment IMO. One where finishing outside the top 10 is really not good enough. Instead, although some signings look promising, we've settled for what appears to be the minimum. I know people will argue 'well what's the point of aimng fr 7th as long as we stay' from the boards pont of view but that just shows what a sorry state it is. We're no longer about finishing as high as we can, we appear happy to be a Wigan type and just preserve our PL status.

People have also argued well x, y & z haven't spent money. To me that should have been even more of an incentive for us to do so, to really make up some ground or put daylight between us and other teams. We can't base ourselves on what others are or arent doing we hav o maximise our own chances of doingthe best that we possibly can and I don't think we've done that.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

What Striker would you have wanted that a team got in and around our league position i`m looking and I don`t see any ?  The same goes for all the other clubs, they have all had a year to get this top striker out there ?

We could have had ruiz (if we really were in for him), we could have taken Bendtnar on loan, we could have treated Sochaux with more respect and maybe could have cut a deal for Maiga, we supposedly pissed about for the two guys from PSG, we sniffed about Roux.  We seemed to do most of our sniffing around one league with the exception of Santon who we SIGNED!

Maybe they wanted more wages than we currently pay Ben Arfa, Cabeye , Santon , Marveux, Obertan ? Maybe they were waiting for a better club in there eyes to come in for them. I can`t claim I know much about the players linked or weather the record on paper is any better than what we have here, enough to justify maybe upsetting those in the current wage structure. Whos knows ? I just don`t buy into Ashley is delibratly trying to ruin our club ? It makes no sense to self harm yourself unless he is depressed.

Really could have established ourself as a geneuine top 7-9 club with a little more wise investment IMO. One where finishing outside the top 10 is really not good enough. Instead, although some signings look promising, we've settled for what appears to be the minimum. I know people will argue 'well what's the point of aimng fr 7th as long as we stay' from the boards pont of view but that just shows what a sorry state it is. We're no longer about finishing as high as we can, we appear happy to be a Wigan type and just preserve our PL status.

People have also argued well x, y & z haven't spent money. To me that should have been even more of an incentive for us to do so, to really make up some ground or put daylight between us and other teams. We can't base ourselves on what others are or arent doing we hav o maximise our own chances of doingthe best that we possibly can and I don't think we've done that.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Its alright, books were balanaced and we turned a profit.

Enrique / Santon , Barton / Cabaye,  Nolan / Ben Arfa, Routledge / Marveux.   All the out goings you mention went for various reasons. Barton was probably the only one that should have or could have stayed.

So we couldn't have kept enrique despite him saying on numerous occasions that he was waiting to see what happens with the carroll money.

We quite clearly couldn`t match Liverpools Gamble even with the Carroll money.  We have been finishing below Liverpool for years.

What Striker would you have wanted that a team got in and around our league position i`m looking and I don`t see any ?  The same goes for all the other clubs, they have all had a year to get this top striker out there ?

We could have had ruiz (if we really were in for him), we could have taken Bendtnar on loan, we could have treated Sochaux with more respect and maybe could have cut a deal for Maiga, we supposedly p*ssed about for the two guys from PSG, we sniffed about Roux.  We seemed to do most of our sniffing around one league with the exception of Santon who we SIGNED!

Maybe they wanted more wages than we currently pay Ben Arfa, Cabeye , Santon , Marveux, Obertan ? Maybe they were waiting for a better club in there eyes to come in for them. I can`t claim I know much about the players linked or weather the record on paper is any better than what we have here, enough to justify maybe upsetting those in the current wage structure. Whos knows ? I just don`t buy into Ashley is delibratly trying to ruin our club ? It makes no sense to self harm yourself unless he is depressed.

i dont think he is out to destroy the club but i do suspect that they were never really after a replacement for carroll once Ba signed.  That was it, job done.  The rest was stringing the fans along for months.

Proven liars. Lied again.

We could have had ruiz (if we really were in for him), we could have taken Bendtnar on loan, we could have treated Sochaux with more respect and maybe could have cut a deal for Maiga, we supposedly p*ssed about for the two guys from PSG, we sniffed about Roux.  We seemed to do most of our sniffing around one league with the exception of Santon who we SIGNED!

i dont think he is out to destroy the club but i do suspect that they were never really after a replacement for carroll once Ba signed.  That was it, job done.  The rest was stringing the fans along for months.

Can`t see such a conspiracy theory myself, but hey footballs about opinions. Yours is much more exciting but hard to believe myself personally.

Enrique / Santon , Barton / Cabaye,  Nolan / Ben Arfa, Routledge / Marveux.  All the out goings you mention went for various reasons. Barton was probably the only one that should have or could have stayed.

We quite clearly couldn`t match Liverpools Gamble even with the Carroll money.  We have been finishing below Liverpool for years.

I wasn't suggesting we spunked the whole 35 mil, mearly fix some of the squad issue and find a striker.  Im not saying we should sopend the money liverpool have spent, man city, man utd or even arsenal BUT I WOULD LIKE TO THINK WE CANT COMPETE WITH THE FOLLOWING CLUBS

Sunderland

Stoke

Aston Villa

Everton

Fulham

West Brom

Wigan

Wolves

QPR ?

Can`t see such a conspiracy theory myself, but hey footballs about opinions. Yours is much more exciting but hard to believe myself personally.

Oh well, you sit there for the next transfer window, be fed loads of shit, lap it up big time, nothing happens then turn round and say "well there was no one available"  we balanced books tho. Nice,.

Not going to give a rate coz i can´t.

Obertan

Cabaye

Santon

Ba

(Elliot)

Abeid

(am i missing someone?)

All (obertan, cabaye, Ba & Santon) all look like good signings....bought for impressively few punds. They should all be able to achieve great things here.

BUT all these signings have more or less been financed by the sale of Nolan, Jose and Barton (wages). Its shows us that the 35 mill from Caroll definitely have not been reinvested in the team. So i guess this is the way Mike will runs things until he either sales or have made enough money to pay us fans a little back and invest in a team that can challenge top 4.

OUTGOINGS. i know it takes time....but i think its a failure we didn´t manage to get rid of players like smith, Løvenkrands and maybe even perch, ameobi, guthrie etc. These players only take up squad space and their present means that pardew will pick players like smith or Løvenkrands when he should pick Abeid or Vuckic for example.

We are getting close, very close to an exciting starting 11, but we really really lack depth. an injury in defends, midfield and attack at the same time will show how vulnerable we are. already our attack is a bit of a joke....cant believe we couldn´t find someone when it was our main mission this window....at least i thought it was. BA, ok....but enough!

well...i was hoping for and believed we could aim for 6-7st place but i find it very difficult now.

We had a good start lets build on that and maybe we will find us in a good position comes winther. 3 good results without playing good at all, wow!!!

i still believe in a top 10 finish.

i rate most of the players we signed - but that doesn't make up for the lack of more signings

our four most important players of last season (debatable i know - but enrique, barton, carroll and nolan did make great contributions) are sold. and we cannot forget that without the goals of carroll and nolan we would have been relegated - and i am not sure who is going to take over - double ameobi?