Rate our summer transfer window

High Five o
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It does feel like a lot of people are assessing Mike and Del rather than assessing the squad.

They didn't achieve everything they set out to achieve or what we wanted them to achieve. That doesn't mean that the squad is crap, or hasn't been improved.

Some will accept any old bollocks, honestly.

Theyll find a way to justify the situation based on pure hope that its for the best. Regardless of the fact that the man making the decisions has a pretty solid history of making errors of judgement.

No point arguing.

nobody is justifying anything, some are saying it isn't the disaster being painted by others.

This basically. Not justifying it. We obviously should have got a top quality striker in, but it's not the end of the world, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make Pardew a "lying cockney bastard".

To be honest, I'm just glad the transfer window is closed now. I can stop checking my phone every half an hour for updates.

Same, will be glad when the international break is over so we can actually talk about football again.

Think we'll finish 8th. Window gets a 7.

Nolan - couldn't care less, Barton - it's a loss in a sense but we'll play differently without him. Would have preferred him to see out his contract mainly for his attitude on the pitch, Enrique - Gutted but was inevitable, Routledge - a player who will never make a mark in the PL, Xisco - ......, Forster - clears the way for Krul to dominate him, it's quite obvious who the better keeper is.

Cabaye - Will be instrumental in how we play, the main driving force forwards along with Ben Arfa, Obertan - think he will collect us a number of points in games simply through his pace on the break, I like him, Marveaux - obviously hasn't started his nufc career properly yet but he's a quality player and will show this off, Santon - I've only seen clips but the talent is obvious, Ba - Absolutely positive that he'll make an impact and score between ten and twelve PL goals, Abeid - very quick feet, very tidy technique, will step up at some point.

We don't have the striker we need, thank fuck we didn't sign Macheda. It's a joke we didn't get a striker in but the men at the top care only about not being ripped off in transfers. They should have realised that you're only getting signings for top end money on deadline day. We should have addressed our striking issues as soon as possible and should have done everything possible to get Loven out of the club, I include Shola in this bracket too as he will continue to hold us down like a dead weight. One of our strikers needs to come through with the goals, if not we're in a bad position but Ben Arfa (when fit) will make a massive difference here, Ba has proven his whole career that he's a goalscorer and I've always rated Best as a goalscorer. Window gets a seven

Theyll find a way to justify the situation based on pure hope that its for the best. Regardless of the fact that the man making the decisions has a pretty solid history of making errors of judgement.

No point arguing.

nobody is justifying anything, some are saying it isn't the disaster being painted by others.

This basically. Not justifying it. We obviously should have got a top quality striker in, but it's not the end of the world, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make Pardew a "lying cockney bastard".

To be honest, I'm just glad the transfer window is closed now. I can stop checking my phone every half an hour for updates.

It does feel like a lot of people are assessing Mike and Del rather than assessing the squad.

They didn't achieve everything they set out to achieve or what we wanted them to achieve. That doesn't mean that the squad is crap, or hasn't been improved.

Thank Christ for these two posts.

Nolan - couldn't care less, Barton - it's a loss in a sense but we'll play differently without him. Would have preferred him to see out his contract mainly for his attitude on the pitch, Enrique - Gutted but was inevitable, Routledge - a player who will never make a mark in the PL, Xisco - ......, Forster - clears the way for Krul to dominate him, it's quite obvious who the better keeper is.

Cabaye - Will be instrumental in how we play, the main driving force forwards along with Ben Arfa, Obertan - think he will collect us a number of points in games simply through his pace on the break, I like him, Marveaux - obviously hasn't started his nufc career properly yet but he's a quality player and will show this off, Santon - I've only seen clips but the talent is obvious, Ba - Absolutely positive that he'll make an impact and score between ten and twelve PL goals, Abeid - very quick feet, very tidy technique, will step up at some point.

We don't have the striker we need, thank fuck we didn't sign Macheda. It's a joke we didn't get a striker in but the men at the top care only about not being ripped off in transfers. They should have realised that you're only getting signings for top end money on deadline day. We should have addressed our striking issues as soon as possible and should have done everything possible to get Loven out of the club, I include Shola in this bracket too as he will continue to hold us down like a dead weight. One of our strikers needs to come through with the goals, if not we're in a bad position but Ben Arfa (when fit) will make a massive difference here, Ba has proven his whole career that he's a goalscorer and I've always rated Best as a goalscorer. Window gets a seven

Very good post.

The main thing Ashley needs to learn is that he can't have it both ways, he either needs to tie up his business early in the window or he will have to pay top money to get the players we need.

FWIW the early signings we made might suggest he is realising the importance of getting deals done early, but for whatever reason it didn't happen with the striker situation.

No point arguing.

This basically. Not justifying it. We obviously should have got a top quality striker in, but it's not the end of the world, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make Pardew a "lying cockney b******".

Thank Christ for these two posts.

No, you're right they didn't.

Objective no. 1 - Reinvest the Carroll money.

Can't look past that :dontknow:

No point arguing.

This basically. Not justifying it. We obviously should have got a top quality striker in, but it's not the end of the world, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make Pardew a "lying cockney b******".

Different people are saying different things.

The windows not been a disaster or anything no. But its massively dissapointing to fail to find a better striker than Demba Ba to lead our team, especially given our scouting work in other areas. Feels like we really couldve stepped up a gear this season & we've not bothered due to poor preperation, seems like we never properly decided on a striker.

Its also a gamble to rely on Best & Ba at this point, thats the reality. Hopefully they do well, having Ameobi as backup incase they dont isnt a wonderful situation is it really. I dont understand why some run around crying if everyones not full of optimism atm.

I'd say 6, better than average. I don't think we needed a striker that badly anyway. We will play 1 upfront with HBA behind and we have Ba, Best, and Shola.

i don't think we will, but i think we should.

Annoyed we didn't get a better striker in, but overall, 6.5.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

Because I think we've replaced Enrique with quality, replaced Nolan & Barton with quality, signed a striker but could have done with another, and signed people like Obertan to beafen up the numbers. Nowhere near the doom and gloom you'd think people would make out.

Ah honestly fuck this shit. Don't enjoy this forum anymore. Bunch of depressing bastards. Fuck off.

I don't really understand why not? If you believe in what we are doing then you should have no problem explaining why. I never believed in signing Kevin Nolan even when he was a hero here but I believed in what I said and so had no problem with arguing my case.

I thought Pardew had already said he was going to play HBA off the striker?

theres off the striker and theres what aboult the rest. he could play off the striker with someone else or with the basic midfiled four behind him.

tbh, did we meet any of the objectives that we set out? As far as I can see, we've simply replaced the outgoings (not much of a transfer strategy if that's what we intended to do):

Kuqi - Ba

Routledge - Obertan

Barton - Marveaux

Nolan - Cabaye

Enrique - Santon

Forster - Elliot

Annoyed we didn't get a better striker in, but overall, 6.5.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

Because I think we've replaced Enrique with quality, replaced Nolan & Barton with quality, signed a striker but could have done with another, and signed people like Obertan to beafen up the numbers. Nowhere near the doom and gloom you'd think people would make out.

Ah honestly fuck this shit. Don't enjoy this forum anymore. Bunch of depressing bastards. Fuck off.

I don't really understand why not? If you believe in what we are doing then you should have no problem explaining why. I never believed in signing Kevin Nolan even when he was a hero here but I believed in what I said and so had no problem with arguing my case.

I believe we do some things right, and I try to argue my point as well as possible. But it does seem totally pointless sometimes, and I'm being made to feel like some sort of imbecile or not a proper fan for putting my point of view.

I can understand what Nut is saying, I'm close to not bothering coming on here anymore. No offence to anyone personally, there's just enough reasonable chat to keep me going, but I know the feeling.

Guest Wally_McFool

Reading some of the posts on here makes me think of Neville Chamberlain waving his piece of paper about.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Quite right. :)

tbh, did we meet any of the objectives that we set out? As far as I can see, we've simply replaced the outgoings (not much of a transfer strategy if that's what we intended to do):

Kuqi - Ba

Routledge - Obertan

Barton - Marveaux

Nolan - Cabaye

Enrique - Santon

Forster - Elliot

Standing still seems to be good enough for most people here, lets hope no one else moved forward and that those unproven PL players can replace the likes of Enrique, Nolan and Barton.

The bolded bit I have serious issues with. Why do we constantly make stupid bids on the last day when we know fine well that there is no mileage in them?

The clinging on to the hope that all things will be right when HBA is fit, is dangerous in the extreme, we've had the lad for a year now and he's played what 5 games for us, every time he's got the ball we are gonna be terrified he'll get clobbered again and be out. We simply can't rely upon him right now, until he's proven his fitness.