NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I love it when people say stuff like "oh, just the odd £20m on players" as if it is that simple and as if £20m is a drop in the ocean for a football club.

When clubs like Norwich are spending something close to that and still are looking to do more, it clearly is :lol:

Yeah, cos Norwich have zero debt.  They're one of the most financial sound clubs in England.  Completely different.

Clubs like Norwich are sensing an opportunity with this new TV deal and taking full advantage of it. They'v been given the money, why not use it? I'd say even clubs with a smidgen of debt would still use that money on players.

I love it when people say stuff like "oh, just the odd £20m on players" as if it is that simple and as if £20m is a drop in the ocean for a football club.

When clubs like Norwich are spending something close to that and still are looking to do more, it clearly is :lol:

Yeah, cos Norwich have zero debt.  They're one of the most financial sound clubs in England.  Completely different.

I suppose West Ham have zero debt when they splashed out to get Carroll then?

Swansea have zero debt?

Also none of these clubs come close to us in revenue yet some how this clubs can afford it but we can't?

Bollocks.

Guest neesy111

And look where we are now.  How many million in bank loans and debts to Mike?

All mistakes starting from Ashley, not to do with excess spending.

Pack it in lads. We're signing nee fucker. Just turn up on the Monday when we play Man City and support the team that's out there. This shit is doing my fucking head in.

Fuck 'em all I say. Ashley, Kinnear, Pardew, the players, the whole lot.

Sent from beyond using smoke signals.

A shrewd owner and chairmen would have made the most of the summer after we finished 5th.  With smart and astute investment including strengthening the management team and playing staff we could have easily kicked on. He's created a ceiling in which we can perform with the way he runs this club. Not asking for bags and bags of money to be spent either man.

Guest bimpy474

Okay, so there are no bank loans, but how big is that loan to Ashley?

Over £100m last count. Basically it was the debt the club owed, that the idiot didn't find out about when he failed to do due diligence when he bought us. He paid it all off with his money as an interest free loan (the £100m +).

Yes  something like 130M +/- in debt.  The fucked up thing is that he paid it off and still wants it paid back. The next person who buys this club will have to retire that "loan" to Mike Ashley but essentially its going to just be extra equity. We'd be better off paying down this loan every year, which correct me If I'm wrong, we are now doing. This will over time lower the asking price of the club if he were ever to have mercy on our souls and sell to someone who gives a fuck.

Guest bimpy474

Yes  something like 130M +/- in debt.  The fucked up thing is that he paid it off and still wants it paid back. The next person who buys this club will have to retire that "loan" to Mike Ashley but essentially its going to just be extra equity. We'd be better off paying down this loan every year, which correct me If I'm wrong, we are now doing. This will over time lower the asking price of the club if he were ever to have mercy on our souls and sell to someone who gives a fuck.

And that's why Barry Moat didn't buy us, when the price was £80m or so, it was £80m plus the interest free loan. So in reality it was £200m or so.

What is it with people thinking a company that has paid off its debts is worth LESS to potential buyers than one that hasn't, what with assets being the same and profitability probably higher (otherwise how pay off the loan). I'm no accountant, but when Ashley starts repaying large chunks of our interest free loan, I don't see how that benefits the club or us as supporters at all. It's just profits going out of the company that could have been reinvested, and has no (negative) bearing on any asking price for the club, or am I missing something?

What is it with people thinking a company that has paid off its debts is worth LESS to potential buyers than one that hasn't, what with assets being the same and profitability probably higher (otherwise how pay off the loan). I'm no accountant, but when Ashley starts repaying large chunks of our interest free loan, I don't see how that benefits the club or us as supporters at all. It's just profits going out of the company that could have been reinvested, and has no (negative) bearing on any asking price for the club, or am I missing something?

The loan i believe can be made to be paid in full back to Ashley at any time, so if you pay the asking price for the club, your also going to have to pay that £100million quid loan back straight away on top of it too. SO if he's asking for £200million for the club, the real price will actually be £300 million for any buyers.

The loan i believe can be made to be paid in full back to Ashley at any time, so if you pay the asking price for the club, your also going to have to pay that £100million quid loan back straight away on top of it too. SO if he's asking for £200million for the club, the real price will actually be £300 million for any buyers.

I understand that people think that way, but in general terms, isn't the asking price of a company being sold largely based on its assets (i.e. objects or intangibles, or in our case players' resale value for the main part), its equity (how much of the financing of the assets are owned by the company itself vs how much by others, banks, etc. - the higher the part owned by the company itself, the better in terms of company value) and its profitability (the more profitable a company, the easier it is to get a return on investment). I know of no valuation mechanism where paying off loans to outside parties (i.e. the company effectively owning more of its assets outright) is considered a bad thing for its overall value when it is up for sale. Again, what am I missing?

We are debt free to Banks unlike all the other clubs, we owe fatty the money.

Which other clubs are borrowing from banks to fund transfers? The vast majority of funds into clubs appears to be coming from owners pockets.

If I were a credit officer at a bank and was asked to write a loan to a football club to fund transfers, the request would be almost surely get shredded. I can barely imagine a worse use of funds.

Whether you have paid off debts or not is largely irrelevant in valuing thr company. You value the business operations- that is what you are buying. To get to the value of the equity in the business you take the business valuation (usually a multiple of earnings) then subtract long-term debt (ie not day-to-day working capital) and add back cash.

There was a great article on this featuring David Wilkinson of Deloitte, who is a very nice man and clearly knows his stuff:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/how-much-would-cost-buy-4803989

The funny thing is, we don't even need to go mad.

Around 20m on new players would suffice, its not like we are asking the board to do a Man City or anything like that.

Remy and Gomis would transform our prospects TBH, just those two would do me easily. Could very well still happen.

Whether you have paid off debts or not is largely irrelevant in valuing thr company. You value the business operations- that is what you are buying. To get to the value of the equity in the business you take the business valuation (usually a multiple of earnings) then subtract long-term debt (ie not day-to-day working capital) and add back cash.

There was a great article on this featuring David Wilkinson of Deloitte, who is a very nice man and clearly knows his stuff:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/how-much-would-cost-buy-4803989

“The wages last year were £64m from a revenue of £94m, so that is about 70%, so they are 20% over the top.”

Splash another £20m on players would you mike, it'll be 'reet.