Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

Krul is easily one of the best 'keeper's in the league.

Colo is easily one of the best centre-back's in the league.

Santon has the potential to become of one the best full-back's.

Tiote and Cabaye are easily two of the better midfielders in the division.

Ben Arfa... is there a more naturally talented footballer in the league than him?

Ba is one of the best goalscorers and so too is Cisse.

In short we have a core group of players to select that only Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City can really better and even then some of our lot would feature in those sides.

We are massively under-performing when it comes to team performances and even individually and given our players I certainly expect better and we all should. If anything we underrate our players.

Nobody disputes how good the spine is on paper - although it fails to take into account the compatability of players like Cabaye and Tiote. Our squad players are the problem and have been for a long, long time.

Cabaye and Tiote are perfectly compatible, but not in a 4-4-2 yet here you have our manager putting two of our best players in a system that isn't compatible to either on a regular basis. And he's the expert?!

As for our much maligned squad, sorry but we do actually have depth and strength. Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Shola, Sammy, Ferguson, Harper, Williamson et al would all be regulars for lower league sides and have all shown on a regular basis they have something to give or offer.

Our squad players are not the problem, our tactics are, our formation, our system and our team selections all of which are the fault of the manager.

Do you not find it strange that the likes of Perch and Guthrie and Best last season for example performed consistently well while our better players were hot and cold, like Cabaye for example, a much better player than Guthrie?

Those weak links of yours come in and to a man generally perform above their station or competently enough on a consistent basis while our stars, our better players, blow hot and cold.

Pardew would do just as well with a team of Perch's as he would with a team of Ben Arfa's.

Do you also believe Villa, Norwich or WBA fielded better XIs than us?

Here is Villa's XI in case you forgot: Guzan, Vlaar, Clark, Lichaj, Lowton, Ireland, El Ahmadi, Bannan, Bent, Holman, Weimann

I would wager, in some hypothetical world, that Routledge would have made Ronaldo's list if he was still under Pardew's tenure for us.

Not sure what you mean. I've alway rated Routledge, especially as a squad player and wish we still had him when I see Obertan f***ing up 4-yard passes and Jonas unable to run.

Agreed, he would actually be perfect for the 4-4-2 Pardew seems to like and I reckon Pardew would get Perch type performances from him too.

Just like at Stevenage away. Routledge was woeful for us in the Premier League.

Two pretty extreme examples when the team had passes its peak. We had far more quality back then - through the spine and out wide.

Andy O'Brien played a few games, I mentioned the first two that came to mind and didn't go into much detail or I could have also mentioned Pattison, McClen, Hamilton, Chopra, Carr, Quinn etc.

All managers have to field players who are not first choice.

Guest Howaythetoon

Of course. What I don't agree with is HTT suggesting we're capable of the heights achieved by Bobby's entertainers. We had so much quality all over the pitch then, man.

Did we really? We had a Coventry flop in Bellamy, an unknown Frenchman, an ageing Shearer and Speed, an injury plagued Dyer and the likes of Dabizas in defence.

We had a front 6 back then to rival any in the league back then and you know it. They all complimented each other perfectly, too.

We did and we do today, but unlike Shearer et al, our lot now do not compliment each other in the same kind of way and again that's down to the manager and the tactics/system/formation etc. he deploys.

Two pretty extreme examples when the team had passes its peak. We had far more quality back then - through the spine and out wide.

Andy O'Brien played a few games, I mentioned the first two that came to mind and didn't go into much detail or I could have also mentioned Pattison, McClen, Hamilton, Chopra, Carr, Quinn etc.

We were on about the side that finished 3rd, Mick.

Chopra, Pattison, McClen, Hamilton, Carr and Quinn are names you picked from thin air - or from later or earlier periods.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew would do just as well with a team of Perch's as he would with a team of Ben Arfa's.

He wouldn't like, cos it's the Bas and Ben Arfas that bail us out every week.

I think he'd get an average side of Perch's mid-table which is where we will probably finish this season.

Of course. What I don't agree with is HTT suggesting we're capable of the heights achieved by Bobby's entertainers. We had so much quality all over the pitch then, man.

Did we really? We had a Coventry flop in Bellamy, an unknown Frenchman, an ageing Shearer and Speed, an injury plagued Dyer and the likes of Dabizas in defence.

We had a front 6 back then to rival any in the league back then and you know it. They all complimented each other perfectly, too.

We did and we do today, but unlike Shearer et al, our lot now do not compliment each other in the same kind of way and again that's down to the manager and the tactics/system/formation etc. he deploys.

I agree the manager is getting it wrong. Massively wrong. But our side today is well short of the circa 2003 quality.

Guest Howaythetoon

Chopra, Pattison, McClen, Hamilton, Carr and Quinn are names you picked from thin air - or from later or earlier periods.

4th and 3rd really. Even the side that finished 3rd had some dross or average players.

For me, this is our strongest squad since then and several of our players would get into Sir Bobby's side if I were picking them.

Guest Howaythetoon

This season reminds me of the 2003-4 season. We'll finish in a good position, but not where we were capable of.

It does indeed, unlike you however, I think we will not finish in a good position. By the way 2003/04... we did extremely well to finish as high as we did given the injuries and number of games we played. We had such a strong defence that year, we lost only 8 games all-season, a joint record I think and conceded fewer goals than in many a year. We did draw a lot though. Such a frustrating season. Partizan, Marseille...

4th and 3rd really. Even the side that finished 3rd had some dross or average players.

For me, this is our strongest squad since then and several of our players would get into Sir Bobby's side if I were picking them.

For definite I'd put Ben Arfa in for Solano and Colo in for O'Brien. Krul and Santon also make cases for inclusion.

This season reminds me of the 2003-4 season. We'll finish in a good position, but not where we were capable of.

It does indeed, unlike you however, I think we will not finish in a good position. By the way 2003/04... we did extremely well to finish as high as we did given the injuries and number of games we played. We had such a strong defence that year, we lost only 8 games all-season, a joint record I think and conceded fewer goals than in many a year. We did draw a lot though. Such a frustrating season. Partizan, Marseille...

We won 2 out of 19 away games. Good position, should have been so much better. I see us 6th or 7th but kicking ourselves we didn't finish ahead of Arsenal.

This. So much pace with some pure class in there. From the 4 in midfield you could expect 20 goals a season. Very much a soft touch with a soft centre no doubt. But good enough to finish top 5 three seasons in a row.

On a good day we had Solano, Dyer, Speed, Jenas, Robert, Viana, Shearer, Bellamy, Shola & even LuaLua. That's 10 players who could realistically get us a goal.

Forget the players Bobby had a pretty simple attack philosophy. You had pace through the middle pushing teams back or punishing them. 2 wide players capable of picking a pass and great deliveries. had energy in midfield. And some good finishers. We played our way and it was up to the opposition to stop us.

Hamilton, Pattison and Carr weren't playing when we finished 3rd so I'll take them out and add Griffin, Hughes and Viana.

Krul is easily one of the best 'keeper's in the league.

Colo is easily one of the best centre-back's in the league.

Santon has the potential to become of one the best full-back's.

Tiote and Cabaye are easily two of the better midfielders in the division.

Ben Arfa... is there a more naturally talented footballer in the league than him?

Ba is one of the best goalscorers and so too is Cisse.

In short we have a core group of players to select that only Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City can really better and even then some of our lot would feature in those sides.

We are massively under-performing when it comes to team performances and even individually and given our players I certainly expect better and we all should. If anything we underrate our players.

I'm being picky, but Tiote is not 'easily' one of the best midfielders in the league. Certainly not on the last 12 months worth of performances.

One of the "better". Tiote & Cabaye are outnumbered in midfield most weeks and they put up a good fight. Up against 2 CM's i'd fancy Tiote is better than most in this league.

you say last 12 months. He played and finished in most of the games we had last season ffs.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree the manager is getting it wrong. Massively wrong. But our side today is well short of the circa 2003 quality.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

Bobby's side was better balanced, had more leaders and players with good mental strength and it also had more pace but this side has more technical ability and more diverseness. We have more options today basically. Back then it was 4-4-2 or nothing. Shearer up top, Bellamy off him, two wingers, a sitting midfielder and a runner, again or nothing. Back then there was less better sides than exist today too.

I just wonder what this team would achieve with someone like Bobby managing them or even KK. We would certainly play much better football which will always give you the chance of finishing in high places.

Was that the last year we got to the semi's in a cup competition?

Let's nto talk about that Man Utd. game.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

Bobby's side was better balanced, had more leaders and players with good mental strength and it also had more pace but this side has more technical ability and more diverseness. We have more options today basically. Back then it was 4-4-2 or nothing. Shearer up top, Bellamy off him, two wingers, a sitting midfielder and a runner, again or nothing. Back then there was less better sides than exist today too.

I just wonder what this team would achieve with someone like Bobby managing them or even KK. We would certainly play much better football which will always give you the chance of finishing in high places.

This lot against the SBR side would either lose 4-1 and get blown away or win 2-1 and grind it out. A prime Bellamy is reminiscent of Shane Long and we hate to see him.

Guest Howaythetoon

We were some side back then though weren't we, not the best of course but one of the best.

Nobby, Speed, Dyer, Robert, Shearer and Bellamy were such a potent force and as Ronaldo rightly said, a 6 to rival any.

They were allowed to play though and given the freedom to express themselves.

Speaking of the Euro game argument, I remember we had a fantastic record of winning or not losing games on the back of a midweek Euro game and I also remember Bobby saying these are young fit lads who if given the chance would play every day never mind a twice a week. He wasn't talking about Shearer and Speed obviously :D

That side had tremendous energy and pace and that's what we lack today, there is no urgency or attacking verve, its all rather static, once paced and lacking in energy.

Hamilton, Pattison and Carr weren't playing when we finished 3rd so I'll take them out and add Griffin, Hughes and Viana.

Two of which were better RBs than Danny Simpson and James Perch. And Viana? You mad?