The other games today - 2012/13

Dave

Guest neesy111

Rooney is our best player ffs :lol:

Ashley Cole has been England's best player over the last decade.

Rooney keeps on letting us down when we really need him.

The amount of pressure the English media puts on the International team is ridiculous, but on Rooney it's a whole other level. Just because he's your best player he's expected to carry an average side to glory every time there's a major tournament. Unless you can call Argentina of '86 an average side, no player in history has ever carried an average side to World Cup glory.

I don't expect Rooney to carry England to glory, as I've never expected us to win any tournament Rooney has played in. What I expect is for him to at least be able to make basic passes, be able to control a ball. He has been abysmal in his last couple of tournaments for England, there's no denying that.

*edit*

Sewelly. :thup:

:thup:

The amount of pressure the English media puts on the International team is ridiculous, but on Rooney it's a whole other level. Just because he's your best player he's expected to carry an average side to glory every time there's a major tournament. Unless you can call Argentina of '86 an average side, no player in history has ever carried an average side to World Cup glory.

There's a fairly big gap between 'carrying a team to glory' and turning up at major tournaments unable to trap the ball. Rooney's last 2 tournament appearances have been astonishingly bad.

2010 is the prime example for how the media ruined the team. Rooney top scored for England in the qualifiers for the World Cup, then Engand played poorly and were booed off the pitch by their supporters. That destroyed the whole team, not just Rooney. Despite Lampards "goal", they were destroyed by Germany.

I think it was harsh to say Rooney was poor in the 2012 Euros as well. He was banned for the first two group games, scored in the third, and then scored his penalty against the beaten finalists. Astonishingly bad? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

..... IMO.

The media in every big country put pressure on their teams. It's up to the players to overcome it, particularly 'world class' players like Rooney. Fact is despite his talent and character he clearly has shrank into his shell in every tournament since 04.

Guest firetotheworks

There's media pressure in most countries though. Rooney wasn't just abysmal in 2010, he was statistically the worst player in the entire tournament! Placing blame to on the media for one player's failure to pass and control is a few steps too far imo.

Guest neesy111

How was it the media's fault that Rooney couldn't trap a bag of cement in the game against Algeria?

I just think the media put so much pressure on the squad that the entire team under-performed.

The media put pressure on the team that said they were going there to win the World Cup, it's there own bloody fault then.

The media in every big country put pressure on their teams. It's up to the players to overcome it, particularly 'world class' players like Rooney. Fact is despite his talent and character he clearly has shrank into his shell in every tournament since 04.

Thankfully he bursts out of that "shell" at club level. The main thing I'm debating here is how people are saying he isn't really dangerous anymore.

This guy showed Rooney how it should be done.  :snod:

Seems to me that often in international football; unpredictable mavericks > world class players used to playing in well oiled club machines. International squads are thrown together and barely play together, apart from maybe Spain this case is frequently apparent for all countries in the haphazard football. That individual spark and unpredictability, brought to the table in a microcosm like a short major tournament can be enough.

Thankfully he bursts out of that "shell" at club level. The main thing I'm debating here is how people are saying he isn't really dangerous anymore.

Of course he's still dangerous as he's one of the most intelligent players around. He just no longer has the spark he once did and he's lost some pace. He's now a very refined footballer who is very efficient if inconsistent in front of goal.

I don't think that it can be argued that he's not as good to watch as he once was. He no longer goes on marauding runs and beating people. I think he's been a victim of his own work-rate if you like due to him playing everywhere for the benefit of the team. If he was like Cantona he would've always been playing in the same position.

What's happened to his long range shooting as well? It was one of the things he was famous for in his younger days yet he seems to have lost all of that ability to shoot from outside the box.

Personally I find him boring to watch at club level. There is no doubt he's very effective and still an excellent footballer.

Of course he's still dangerous as he's one of the most intelligent players around. He just no longer has the spark he once did and he's lost some pace. He's now a very refined footballer who is very efficient if inconsistent in front of goal.

I don't think that it can be argued that he's not as good to watch as he once was. He no longer goes on marauding runs and beating people. I think he's been a victim of his own work-rate if you like due to him playing everywhere for the benefit of the team. If he was like Cantona he would've always been playing in the same position.

What's happened to his long range shooting as well? It was one of the things he was famous for in his younger days yet he seems to have lost all of that ability to shoot from outside the box.

Again, 50 in last 70 isn't inconsistent but I see your point in regards to the first paragraph.

Rooney is almost always given a free role with us as well. It's his own determination that sees him track back and attempt to win the ball. He was only sacrificed in position when Ronaldo was the spearhead.

As far as his long range efforts go, he's just a lot more composed and rarely strikes a ball for the sake of it (even though it worked a lot  in the past; just smacking it in the general direction of the net.). If there's an opportunity for a shot now but there's a player out wide in a good position he'll go for the pass. He's refined that part of his game the same way Scholes did in the his latter years. He always used to bend the ball into the far corner when he was younger as well, whereas these days if he shoots from range he tries to catch the keeper out at the near post.

Guest neesy111

I call him inconsistent because often he will go over 10 games without a goal then go on a run of form where he scores for fun. Then rinse and repeat.

Aye, that's my biggest issue with him.  If he ever wants to have a sniff of a chance of the Ballon d'Or in the future then he needs to be consistent over a large period of time.

I call him inconsistent because often he will go over 10 games without a goal then go on a run of form where he scores for fun. Then rinse and repeat.

Aye, that's my biggest issue with him.  If he ever wants to have a sniff of a chance of the Ballon d'Or in the future then he needs to be consistent over a large period of time.

I don't even know where you're getting that from like because it simply isn't the case. I can think of once, maybe twice since he's joined us (that's 8 and a half years now), that he's had a drought of ten games, and the time I remember he was playing on the left wing to facilitate Ronaldo.

Guest neesy111

He's also not tough enough mentally to be at the very top as he has proven time and time again.

That's true about his pelanties which are rubbish.

He's also not tough enough mentally to be at the very top as he has proven time and time again.

That's true about his pelanties which are rubbish.

Inclined to slightly agree. I wouldn't call his penalties rubbish but he has a tendency to smack important ones over the bar.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I always think Rooney isn't as good as people make him out to be, but then I keep seeing his league goal scoring record. Even his International record is decent, which just confuses me. I know what I'm seeing when I watch him play - some half motivated, confused about his role pint drinking smoking troglodyte - yet he seems to score goals... a lot.

Could be argued that being at Man U makes it easier for him to score. However I think being at Man U has 'cultured' him too much, and took away what was once exciting about him.

I always think Rooney isn't as good as people make him out to be, but then I keep seeing his league goal scoring record. Even his International record is decent, which just confuses me. I know what I'm seeing when I watch him play - some half motivated, confused about his role pint drinking smoking troglodyte - yet he seems to score goals... a lot.

Could be argued that being at Man U makes it easier for him to score. However I think being at Man U has 'cultured' him too much, and took away what was once exciting about him.

It's not even his goals that make him so important to us, that's what people are failing to see. The fact he scores so fucking many is just a testament to how brilliant he actually is.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It's not even his goals that make him so important to us, that's what people are failing to see. The fact he scores so fucking many is just a testament to how brilliant he actually is.

Well, I don't even rate him as a withdrawn creative striker, if that's what you're suggesting. He looks stuck between two mindsets, should he be playing in the pocket in front of the opposition defensive line (or back on the half way line?!) or leading the line.