Freddy defending himself. Again. Yawn.

Guest thompers

Guest thompers

:lol: Selective in what you choose to reply to?

I've lifted my ban on your pm's  :lol:

Alternatively, follow my sig if you want to make sure I don't miss owt  bluewink.gif

Hey thompers, seriously, this is getting to be a good discussion....what do you think of the last few [decent] posts ?

I'm not referring to the "pm ban" I'm actually referring to my questions in this thread.

sorry mate, I have been busy replying to the good posts by Andy P

Or replying to the only ones that you have an answer to where you haven't contradicted yourself?

Alternatively, follow my sig if you want to make sure I don't miss owt  bluewink.gif

Hey thompers, seriously, this is getting to be a good discussion....what do you think of the last few [decent] posts ?

I'm not referring to the "pm ban" I'm actually referring to my questions in this thread.

Or replying to the only ones that you have an answer to where you haven't contradicted yourself?

Well, I looked at your post, and the fact that you need to sort the quotes out, and decided that I couldn't see what your point is - other than stating that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the past decade, therefore we HAVE done better than all the other clubs bar those 4, that didn't have a board capable of generating the same money as us.

Well, I looked at your post, and the fact that you need to sort the quotes out, and decided that I couldn't see what your point is - other than stating that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the past decade, therefore we HAVE done better than all the other clubs bar those 4, that didn't have a board capable of generating the same money as us.

Said the person who always quotes league position as the measurement of success, hypocritical yet laughable.

Said the person who always quotes league position as the measurement of success, hypocritical yet laughable.

says the person who replies to a post directed at someone else, rather than the one at you ?

I AM quoting league positions, 3 consecutive top 5 finishes for the first time in over 50 years - whats your take on that - and regular european qualification. Only 4 clubs have qualified more, FACT.

What a thickmick ...  :lol:

In regards to my post, again... even if we are taken over and Shepherd leaves, from the speculation over Belgravia (which is nothing more than that, of course) - it doesn't seem like a company who would come in and pump money into the club to the level of what some others do/might do.

If a takeover did occur, NE5, could you accept that it might be necessary in order for us to keep doing as well as we have been under Shepherd (average league positions, stadium expansion, etc.)?

Would you support something like that? (Just trying to work out where the battle lines are on this issue.)

I wonder if there's a way Shepherd could "find" some investors, in order to hold his position AND be able to compete on a financial level with our supposed rivals. Could be the safest bet of all, but I still can't help but sway towards the club getting a total overhaul in order to really push onto the next level. I'm still not entirely convinced Shepherd has the capacity to ever see us into the "promised land", but it's obviously impossible to judge - especially based against an alternative that is completely unknown.

Do you agree with me that we should be aiming to be the biggest club in the country, also? Or is that an impossible expectation/unreasonable request?

In regards to my post, again... even if we are taken over and Shepherd leaves, from the speculation over Belgravia (which is nothing more than that, of course) - it doesn't seem like a company who would come in and pump money into the club to the level of what some others do/might do.

If a takeover did occur, NE5, could you accept that it might be necessary in order for us to keep doing as well as we have been under Shepherd (average league positions, stadium expansion, etc.)?

Would you support something like that? (Just trying to work out where the battle lines are on this issue.)

I wonder if there's a way Shepherd could "find" some investors, in order to hold his position AND be able to compete on a financial level with our supposed rivals. Could be the safest bet of all, but I still can't help but sway towards the club getting a total overhaul in order to really push onto the next level. I'm still not entirely convinced Shepherd has the capacity to ever see us into the "promised land", but it's obviously impossible to judge - especially based against an alternative that is completely unknown.

Do you agree with me that we should be aiming to be the biggest club in the country, also? Or is that an impossible expectation/unreasonable request?

I would not be against replacing anyone at the club with someone better. My take has always been that the current board have done a good job and the club is miles better than when they came in, and as not many teams have had a past decade to match ours, replacing them with better is far from automatic. They may have took the club as far as they can, but it doesn't mean the next lot will be better.

In the past, when we have had debates about the stadium, I have said I think the biggest blunder the club has made was not to move stadium. I think they should have moved lock, stock and barrel to another location in order to build a bigger stadium. The council may have caved in when permission to move to Leazes Park failed at the last hurdle, but I think we should have bluffed them, and called it, when the council realised if they didn't give permission the business the club gives to the city centre on match days would be lost forever. I don't care about tradition. I actually don't give a toss about it, I think the club should have aimed to set new traditions if anything.

I am aware that crowds at the moment are down, but the idea is to capitilise on future success and fill the ground accordingly, we have seen from the Keegan years that a Newcastle side challenging at the top of the league will fill a 60,000 plus ground and I believe could be even higher. We are a one club city, nobody else has this advantage.

Dont know if this has been debated before but is there anyone else who thinks that NE5 is payed by the club to defend it on forums?

I can assure you I am paid by nobody for posting realistic and factual information. Unlike cretins and liars who are so stupid they think that the current board have done a shit job, having qualified for europe on a regular basis for over a decade, and bought major, and current, England players along the way.

It would appear that you, are a skyboy ?

Correct me if this is not the case, but any long term supporter will confirm the current board have improved the club massively during their time in charge.

Well, I am from Sweden, that probably makes me worse than a "Skyboy" in your eyes. Though I fail to see why you must insult everyone trying to say something that opposes anything written by you or against the board (FS).

As for "the board" improving things, sure the club is much better of right now than in the 80s but I hardly think that is relevant.

Newcastle as a club became a major force in England in about 94 - 96 and now has the stadium and support to challange for things all the time in my view. Also if I am not completely wrong FS took over in like 98 and since then the club as gone down little by little save by one thing.

That thing was the fact that there was a great manager from Newcastle named Bobby Robson who came in and saved the club. Great that Freddy got him but more I feel it had to do with his love for the club than by any work of FS, though again I can be wrong.

All in all, my view of FS is that he took over a company with some great potential and also a good present state. From there he has taken the club backwards and now we are actually fearing relegation.

Dont know if this has been debated before but is there anyone else who thinks that NE5 is payed by the club to defend it on forums?

I can assure you I am paid by nobody for posting realistic and factual information. Unlike cretins and liars who are so stupid they think that the current board have done a shit job, having qualified for europe on a regular basis for over a decade, and bought major, and current, England players along the way.

Correct me if this is not the case, but any long term supporter will confirm the current board have improved the club massively during their time in charge.

Well, I am from Sweden, that probably makes me worse than a "Skyboy" in your eyes. Though I fail to see why you must insult everyone trying to say something that opposes anything written by you or against the board (FS).

As for "the board" improving things, sure the club is much better of right now than in the 80s but I hardly think that is relevant.

Newcastle as a club became a major force in England in about 94 - 96 and now has the stadium and support to challange for things all the time in my view. Also if I am not completely wrong FS took over in like 98 and since then the club as gone down little by little save by one thing.

That thing was the fact that there was a great manager from Newcastle named Bobby Robson who came in and saved the club. Great that Freddy got him but more I feel it had to do with his love for the club than by any work of FS, though again I can be wrong.

All in all, my view of FS is that he took over a company with some great potential and also a good present state. From there he has taken the club backwards and now we are actually fearing relegation.

I will be nice to you, if you are from Sweden, because I like Sweden and once had a very good friend there.  :winking:

If you say I am "paid" by the club to defend the chairman, or anyone, then IMO it gives me license to tell you what I think of you for saying that, and that comment in particular, Fair ?

I am quite aware the club is not 2nd in the league like they were when Keegan was manager. I wish they were. The reason is that they have not managed to find a manager as good for the club as Keegan was. However, all the first 3 managers they appointed after him were appointed because they had good track records of winning trophies or were possibly of the potential that they could do the trick for Newcastle. It is difficult to see what else they could apply to this criteria when looking and choosing managers, than winning trophies at other clubs, do YOU have any better suggestions ?

However, there are only 2 major trophies in English football, the League Cup, and another 5 or 6 european spots. These are what the best teams get for being the best teams. We were consistently qualifying for europe, including a good Champions League run that everybody enjoyed a lot, until Souness was appointed. A bad mistake. The club under the current directors has shown they have ambition to reach for these top spots and they will do so again. New owners may not.

Guest thompers

No, but how ambitious is it that we showed no desire/ambition to match these 4 clubs, as we were financially equal to them ?

Guest toon tone rudeboy

I will be nice to you, if you are from Sweden, because I like Sweden and once had a very good friend there.  :winking:

If you say I am "paid" by the club to defend the chairman, or anyone, then IMO it gives me license to tell you what I think of you for saying that, and that comment in particular, Fair ?

I am quite aware the club is not 2nd in the league like they were when Keegan was manager. I wish they were. The reason is that they have not managed to find a manager as good for the club as Keegan was. However, all the first 3 managers they appointed after him were appointed because they had good track records of winning trophies or were possibly of the potential that they could do the trick for Newcastle. It is difficult to see what else they could apply to this criteria when looking and choosing managers, than winning trophies at other clubs, do YOU have any better suggestions ?

However, there are only 2 major trophies in English football, the League Cup, and another 5 or 6 european spots. These are what the best teams get for being the best teams. We were consistently qualifying for europe, including a good Champions League run that everybody enjoyed a lot, until Souness was appointed. A bad mistake. The club under the current directors has shown they have ambition to reach for these top spots and they will do so again. New owners may not.

Sorry, I am an American Skyboy (which probably makes me the worst of the lot) but I have a few questions.

Question 1:  When did Hall hand over the reigns to Shepherd?  Wasn't Hall involved in the appointment of SBR or am I mistaken?

Question 2:  Do you agree or disagree with the way that SBR was treated?

Question 3:  Shepherd (as has been stated before) is the common factor in all major changes that have happened at the club.  Therefore, if the club is getting left behind, which it is, wouldn't some (if not all) of the responsibility be placed on him?

I am not having a go at his earnings, or the "speculation" that he makes player bids behind his manager's back but I do see other clubs moving on and we are being left in the dust.  With this takeover of Liverpool looming we will be sitting mid-table at best for years to come.  And if Shepherd refuses to sell his stake in the club to Belgravia (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't he then be holding the club back?

Yeah, sure that wasnt nice of me. I just find it odd that you would defend Freddy with such I dont know what word to use, but energy perhaps. I read more posts than I write and I have the impression that you always pop up to defend him and rarely do anything else but that.

I actually find it hard to understand how anyone can support him, I hear what you are saying and you are saying it well. But I just cant understand how anyone can support that man, I just cant.

Maybe it has to do with different cultures, I dont know.

And also I have a friend who just got a job doing just what I accused you for, hanging on forums and defending a company.

If I where to add something as response to the last bit you said it would be this. The club in general seems to be so much less professional than its rival clubs on several fronts. No proper training/trainers, players always injured, not many youthplayers coming up, etc etc and this has remained through several managers.

One manager you could blame, but to blame several and not the man who is top dog and also hired those managers, that just seems odd to me.

Johan

Apart from hindsight, what is your criteria for the selection of a manager?

Just curious.

Do you believe the Board almost has a policy of appointing shit managers?

The reality is they appoint managers with superb track records (apart from Roeder, they clearly changed tack here) and then back them to the hilt. Many of the managers people on here were clamouring for in the summer certainly do not have track records better than some of those people previously appointed by the Board. Dalglish springs immediately to mind, Robson is obvious but even Gullit and Souness had decent track records at previous clubs.

Guest thompers

Johan

Just curious.

The reality is they appoint managers with superb track records (apart from Roeder, they clearly changed tack here) and then back them to the hilt. Many of the managers people on here were clamouring for in the summer certainly do not have track records better than some of those people previously appointed by the Board. Dalglish springs immediately to mind, Robson is obvious but even Gullit and Souness had decent track records at previous clubs.

Dalglish >> appointed a defensive manager to manage the most attacking team in football.

Gullit >> appointed a manager who'd only ever managed one club, a club that he knew inside out from his playing days. So, so far from being described as 'proven' at the time.

Robson >> Good appointment, but expecting him to keep us up the top, but not backing him and making additions to improve on an excellent season is a mistake, and only backing him when it seemed we were about to nosedive was pathetic.

Souness >> Had Blackburn in relegation places. Paid for his services.

Roeder >> Not even qualified.

All shit/unproven appointments barring Robson, who they screwed over.

Yeah, sure that wasnt nice of me. I just find it odd that you would defend Freddy with such I dont know what word to use, but energy perhaps. I read more posts than I write and I have the impression that you always pop up to defend him and rarely do anything else but that.

I actually find it hard to understand how anyone can support him, I hear what you are saying and you are saying it well. But I just cant understand how anyone can support that man, I just cant.

And also I have a friend who just got a job doing just what I accused you for, hanging on forums and defending a company.

If I where to add something as response to the last bit you said it would be this. The club in general seems to be so much less professional than its rival clubs on several fronts. No proper training/trainers, players always injured, not many youthplayers coming up, etc etc and this has remained through several managers.

One manager you could blame, but to blame several and not the man who is top dog and also hired those managers, that just seems odd to me.

I am not "defending" anyone. I am not "supporting" anyone. I am pointing out the real facts that the current board has taken the club a long way forward, and having qualified for europe regularly and overtaken many clubs during this period in charge that were ahead of us for decades, replacing them with better is not automatic and far from easy.

Do you understand this ?

The thing is, Johan, I understand that you may think that Newcastle have always been successful, and so don't understand it when we are in a going through a struggling/rebuilding period. But you will have to believe those of us that have been around a bit longer, that this is not the case and what we tell you is fact.

I think when you say other clubs "seem" to be more professional, maybe you are just thinking the grass is greener etc etc....do you not think that while we have been playing in europe regularly during the past decade, signing top current England players, that quite a few clubs would be looking at us enviously and thinking "why can't we match what Newcastle are doing", because I can tell you, this is the case.

Finally, where in Sweden do you come from, if you don't mind me asking.

Johan

Just curious.

Dalglish >> appointed a defensive manager to manage the most attacking team in football.

Gullit >> appointed a manager who'd only ever managed one club, a club that he knew inside out from his playing days. So, so far from being described as 'proven' at the time.

Robson >> Good appointment, but expecting him to keep us up the top, but not backing him and making additions to improve on an excellent season is a mistake, and only backing him when it seemed we were about to nosedive was pathetic.

bluelaugh.gif

Had Robson not lost the respect of the players they wouldn't have "screwed him over".

I'm not a big fan of Shepherd but to suggest (as Thompers does) he didn't back Robson is ludicrous. He was given plenty money after he'd signed some absolute duffers for megabucks.

I am not "defending" anyone. I am not "supporting" anyone. I am pointing out the real facts that the current board has taken the club a long way forward, and having qualified for europe regularly and overtaken many clubs during this period in charge that were ahead of us for decades, replacing them with better is not automatic and far from easy.

Do you understand this ?

The thing is, Johan, I understand that you may think that Newcastle have always been successful, and so don't understand it when we are in a going through a struggling/rebuilding period. But you will have to believe those of us that have been around a bit longer, that this is not the case and what we tell you is fact.

I think when you say other clubs "seem" to be more professional, maybe you are just thinking the grass is greener etc etc....do you not think that while we have been playing in europe regularly during the past decade, signing top current England players, that quite a few clubs would be looking at us enviously and thinking "why can't we match what Newcastle are doing", because I can tell you, this is the case.

Maybe the biggest difference between how we see things are the fact that I see it like two boards, first one board that did the building up and then shepheard who has taken the club down. Maybe you have some info that makes this view wrong, if so please tell me.

Another difference between us might be the value we put into the buying of "top current england players". For me that is not the way to go, I think we should be looking at getting a manager and a setup more suited to slow building and getting young players and training them. Buying a few big names who often have some kind of baggage or are injury prone every now and then just aint gonna do it long term. I personally felt from the start that the money on Owen would have been better spent if it where like spent on 3 players instead. And I dont all blame Souness for that because I think that Freddy had a lot to do with that deal.

For me the chairman is a man who never does anything at a proper timing, he never sacks a manager at the right time (souness after january, bobby 4 games into the season) and the way this team purchases players seems to be that it waits and waits trying to be smart only to be fucked in the end and do one panic buy.

As for where I am from, a town north of Stockholm called Uppsala.

Do you understand this ?

Maybe the biggest difference between how we see things are the fact that I see it like two boards, first one board that did the building up and then shepheard who has taken the club down. Maybe you have some info that makes this view wrong, if so please tell me.

Another difference between us might be the value we put into the buying of "top current england players". For me that is not the way to go, I think we should be looking at getting a manager and a setup more suited to slow building and getting young players and training them.

Unfortunately Johan, we tried this approach, it doesn't work either. Dyer, Bramble, Viana, Jenas, Griffin, Gavilan, LUa Lua, Domi, Ambrose, Bernard, Milner, have all been bought in recent years, some expensive some not, as a deliberate policy to try and find young talent early, along with some coming through the youth teams ie Caldwell Brothers, Chopra, Ameobi, Hughes, Kerr, Coppinger, Taylor,

some successful, some not.

Buying a few big names who often have some kind of baggage or are injury prone every now and then just aint gonna do it long term. I personally felt from the start that the money on Owen would have been better spent if it where like spent on 3 players instead. And I dont all blame Souness for that because I think that Freddy had a lot to do with that deal.

For me the chairman is a man who never does anything at a proper timing, he never sacks a manager at the right time (souness after january, bobby 4 games into the season) and the way this team purchases players seems to be that it waits and waits trying to be smart only to be fucked in the end and do one panic buy.

He sacked Gullit at the right time, but it was the same time as the sackings of Dalglish and Robson mate. The answer is getting a manager who does a good job, not the timing.

As for where I am from, a town north of Stockholm called Uppsala.

Nice. I have been to Stockholm, and Gothenburg, my friend came from part of Gothenburg, called Frolunda. Long time ago though.

In general I just find it better to act than to react. Like sack Robson in the summer if you dont think he is up to it anymore for instance. Many here felt that the club made a mistake in sacking him, I feel that the mistace was done not sacking him in the beginning of the summer and then the chances of getting a top manager would have been far greater.

Shepherd always seems to wait to long to make up his mind about things, if you want to be successful just make a decision and go with it.

Also you didnt answer about that thing with two boards, the way I have understood there where one board led by Sir John Hall and then one led By Fred Shepherd and the later one from like 98?

And another thing, I work for a pretty new company in Sweden who is growing real fast and has the money to continue to do so. The owners constantly demand results of the CEO or whatever the english term is. Recently we got a new one who is even more focused on being more successful. He or anyone in the company could never defend themselves with any arguments about how small we where before if we did not do as well as we should. The past is not relevant, what is relevant is where you are now and what potential you have in contrast to how you are actually doing. If the company is not doing as well as it should and could heads should roll, and changing the man in top is generally the way you go about it.

Guest thompers

I'm not a big fan of Shepherd but to suggest (as Thompers does) he didn't back Robson is ludicrous. He was given plenty money after he'd signed some absolute duffers for megabucks.

I expected that comment from NE5 or HTL but not you.

"but not backing him and making additions to improve on an excellent season is a mistake"

is that hard to grasp that I was talking about a specific summer and not his whole reign?

Ludicrous!

Guest thompers

Johan

Just curious.

bluelaugh.gif

Had Robson not lost the respect of the players they wouldn't have "screwed him over".

Did Robson lose respect from the players because Shepherd said that Robson wouldn't have a job next season, or because Shepherd didn't say that Robson wouldn't have a job next season?

Ohh, I didnt even see that comment about if I thought the club had a policy of signing shit managers. No I dont, I just think the club has shown very little imagination and has so far had to get managers just on top of having had success before. Getting someone on the up and up or however you say in English seems out of the question. Just because you won something before doesnt mean you are going to do it again? Where are our Wenger or Jol or why not even Ferguson who as far as I know where a pretty unknown manager (in comparison to Gullit and Dagliesh) from Aberdeen. A better chairman or board might have been able to find a manager prospect and not have to resort to has beens.

Edit:

Ok, after reading Wikipedia about Daglish he actually seemed a pretty good appointment at the time:)

Johan

Just curious.

bluelaugh.gif

Did Robson lose respect from the players because Shepherd said that Robson wouldn't have a job next season, or because Shepherd didn't say that Robson wouldn't have a job next season?

Didn't expect that from you. Mick maybe, but not you.

The team performances began to drop off during the latter stages of the season we finished 3rd, proven the following season when we finished 5th.

The general behaviour of various players off the field was known to be a problem and was commonly complained about at the time, the manager failed to get them back into line, that's because they had no respect for Robson for quite some time.

The players losing respect for the manager had nothing to do with your suggestion above.