Alan Pardew

Mike

It's kind of irrelevant whether he prefers 442 or 433, is one fundamentally better than the other? I wouldn't say so, it depends how they're working. You could argue that what we're doing now is more 'back to basics', but then again we use the attacking fullbacks very well and the interchange of the midfielders is very good as well. None of the midfield 4 are fixed in position, except maybe Tiote.

I would love to see more adventurous systems etc ideally, but if we're going to use this 442 then the way Pardew is doing it is fairly praise-worthy IMO.

Could they not just play UEFA Cup games on a Wendesday with the Champions League?

The money in football comes from TV stations that want football on every night of the week and 3 times a day at weekends, not concentrated on one day with one kick off time.

Europa League games should be played on Tuesday and Wednesday the weeks when there's no Champions League. Would make a lot more people interested in them, as they'd be the main attraction of the football on weekdays that week, instead of the hangover scraps from the Champions League that they are now.

It's kind of irrelevant whether he prefers 442 or 433, is one fundamentally better than the other? I wouldn't say so, it depends how they're working. You could argue that what we're doing now is more 'back to basics', but then again we use the attacking fullbacks very well and the interchange of the midfielders is very good as well. None of the midfield 4 are fixed in position, except maybe Tiote.

I would love to see more adventurous systems etc ideally, but if we're going to use this 442 then the way Pardew is doing it is fairly praise-worthy IMO.

If you had a goal scoring CF in there instead of  Shola, say Gomis for example, I think the 4-4-2 could look a lot better in any case. For all Shola's done well, he rarely looks a threat in the penalty box other than nuisance value.

"The Europa League needs to change for clubs in the Premier League," he said. "League games need to go to Monday night. If they are going to insist we play Thursday, then we have to play the subsequent Premier League game on a Monday. That would be fair. If teams play in the Champions League on a Wednesday, they play on a Sunday. That's fair and gives you just enough time but Thursday to Sunday is not fair."

Thoughts?

Fair enough if it's an away fixture, disagree RE: home fixtures.

Teams play Sun - Tues in CL on occasion or in the domestic cups without whinging.

Could they not just play UEFA Cup games on a Wendesday with the Champions League?

The money in football comes from TV stations that want football on every night of the week and 3 times a day at weekends, not concentrated on one day with one kick off time.

Europa League games should be played on Tuesday and Wednesday the weeks when there's no Champions League. Would make a lot more people interested in them, as they'd be the main attraction of the football on weekdays that week, instead of the hangover scraps from the Champions League that they are now.

Also :thup: to this.

If you had a goal scoring CF in there instead of  Shola, say Gomis for example, I think the 4-4-2 could look a lot better in any case. For all Shola's done well, he rarely looks a threat in the penalty box other than nuisance value.

True, Shola's just not sharp enough to get many goals any more. He's probably just about the best option anyway at the moment, with Cisse's form. I'd still like to think that Cisse can come back into the team, but it's looking less likely all the time.

True, Shola's just not sharp enough to get many goals any more. He's probably just about the best option anyway at the moment, with Cisse's form. I'd still like to think that Cisse can come back into the team, but it's looking less likely all the time.

:mike:

When you look at our bench on Sat, our squad is not all that bad anymore. We are just quite unbalanced in terms of players we have in certain areas. A total lack of good wingers being one area and up front being another.

We had Anita, MYM, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Sammy all on bench and I think that's quite strong. Nowhere near what Chelsea etc have but a lot better than any outside of top 6

I think you could say the same since January.  This season we've only brought in Remy.  Harper, Simpson, Perch, Ferguson, Tav and Gosling going out.  In terms of bodies available, we should be worse off.

The squad improvement was all last winter though.  They've just needed a year to settle.

27 players started games last year and so far this season we've only needed 19.  3 of those have only started once.  Keeping the players that aren't good enough out of the first team and off the bench has been the biggest factor in our return to the upper echelons. The January signings that have been largely responsible for any individual errors that cost us points are making them with much less frequency now.  The majority of those players being in the running for the player of the month award.

When you look at our bench on Sat, our squad is not all that bad anymore. We are just quite unbalanced in terms of players we have in certain areas. A total lack of good wingers being one area and up front being another.

We had Anita, MYM, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Sammy all on bench and I think that's quite strong. Nowhere near what Chelsea etc have but a lot better than any outside of top 6

I think you could say the same since January.  This season we've only brought in Remy.  Harper, Simpson, Perch, Ferguson, Tav and Gosling going out.  In terms of bodies available, we should be worse off.

The squad improvement was all last winter though.  They've just needed a year to settle.

27 players started games last year and so far this season we've only needed 19.  3 of those have only started once.  Keeping the players that aren't good enough out of the first team and off the bench has been the biggest factor in our return to the upper echelons. The January signings that have been largely responsible for any individual errors that cost us points are making them with much less frequency now.  The majority of those players being in the running for the player of the month award.

I suppose that backs up the club response to criticism we didn't sign enough players in the summer, basically we did our business last January.

Kudos to Pardew for finding a team that is grinding out results. 4 wins in a row in this division is always impressive no matter the circumstances in individual games.

Me personally, I'm not happy with our performance despite the result (yet again). Thought we were poor in the first half (West Brom being worse), gradually improving, but then came out in the second half looking p*ss poor and unable to adjust to West Brom pushing players forward. To my eyes we barely created a clear cut chance in 90 minutes of football at home to a mediocre team, and were yet again reliant on hoping the opposition were p*ss poor in the final third, which West Brom duly were - it's almost like Pardew has found a method of rope-a-doping the opposition just about enough to nick a lead and then hold on. I think Sissoko's cracker came against the run of play with the momentum being with West Brom, hence the reason why I'm not happy with the performance - it's not sustainable over the long term imo and we should be doing alot more with the players we have (including those sitting on the bench).

I'm sure the likes of Brett, Ian W, etc, were watching a completely different game (good attacking/creative football from us, solid defense, only one team going to win it, etc etc), but then that's part of what makes football such a great sport, i.e. the differing opinions on the same players, matches, managers, incidents, etc.

In terms of Pardew himself and the bigger picture, firstly I don't think this method of playing is sustainable over the long term (e.g. beyond this season), secondly that we're wasting some premium talent (Ben Arfa, Anita, possibly Marveaux) by having a manager who just can't work with them, and thirdly even if it is (e.g. we finish top 5 again), we'll be back to struggling again as he clearly hates European campaigns. And I suspect the latter is because his only real gameplan is all about containment and nicking the lead, which inherently relies on high levels of workrate, fitness, preparation, concentration, etc - add in a lengthy European campaign and the stamina/distraction issues kick in. Which is a shame really, as perversely I think Pardew's tactics are more suited to European football given the benefits of taking a more conservative containment approach.

Sorry like, but this is a cracking post. Monkey is spot on as usual. We created almost nothing from open play. We keep the ball well in our half and around midfield, but are absolutely dog shit hopeless in the final third. This recurring theme cannot continue for long, in addition to relying on a different in-form striker to bail us out every half-term.

Alan Pardew: Good run traces back to home truth session at Goodison Park

2 Dec 2013 07:21

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew indicates United players have all pulled together since woeful first half on Merseyside

Share on print Share on email

Alan Pardew has revealed home truths in the visitors’ dressing room at Goodison Park are the real reason behind Newcastle United’s successful season so far.

Pardew was fuming that night after fans chanted: “We want our money back” and the moment could well be a major turning point in the season.

The Magpies’ boss still maintains his team did not play badly against Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby defeat on Wearside.

He feels the foundations were laid for his team’s four-game winning streak on Merseyside two months ago.

The victory over West Brom fired United up the Premier League table and put Pardew in the box seat for the November Manager of the Month Award, which he will pick up later this week if his 100% record is deemed good enough to win an honour he has claimed only his once before in his managerial career - at West Ham.

When asked what the secret of Uniteds success was this term, he said: “Since the second half against Everton we looked at ourselves and said: ‘come on this is not us’. We had difficulties last year with injuries and the Europa League. We are together this year and we are ready. We said: ‘Let’s go – come on, let’s not make the errors we are making.’

“We won the second half against Everton and since that moment we have been very strong.”

United are now in their best run of form since April 2012, when Pardew led his side to Europe and went on to pick up both the LMA and Premier League Manager of the Year awards.

After his latest triumph, he added: “I genuinely sensed in the dressing room they believed they were going to win.

“Of course, the effort you have to have to put in to win in the Premier League was there for everyone to see. Our two wide guys must have done 12 and half kilometres – no problem.

“They were outstanding and that shape and resilience is getting us results.”

United now take their winning streak to Swansea City on Wednesday night.

When asked how long the winning run could go on for, Pardew said: “I don’t know.

“We have a tough game on Wednesday against Swansea. They are a good side.”

“I think it is difficult to win, especially against teams you are expected to win against. They are the most difficult.”

Pardew’s best sequence of wins was six on the trot at the end of the 2011/12 season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-good-run-traces-6360123

so basically our turnaround this season is down to...............Mike Williamson?!  :o

Kudos to Pardew for finding a team that is grinding out results. 4 wins in a row in this division is always impressive no matter the circumstances in individual games.

Me personally, I'm not happy with our performance despite the result (yet again). Thought we were poor in the first half (West Brom being worse), gradually improving, but then came out in the second half looking p*ss poor and unable to adjust to West Brom pushing players forward. To my eyes we barely created a clear cut chance in 90 minutes of football at home to a mediocre team, and were yet again reliant on hoping the opposition were p*ss poor in the final third, which West Brom duly were - it's almost like Pardew has found a method of rope-a-doping the opposition just about enough to nick a lead and then hold on. I think Sissoko's cracker came against the run of play with the momentum being with West Brom, hence the reason why I'm not happy with the performance - it's not sustainable over the long term imo and we should be doing alot more with the players we have (including those sitting on the bench).

I'm sure the likes of Brett, Ian W, etc, were watching a completely different game (good attacking/creative football from us, solid defense, only one team going to win it, etc etc), but then that's part of what makes football such a great sport, i.e. the differing opinions on the same players, matches, managers, incidents, etc.

In terms of Pardew himself and the bigger picture, firstly I don't think this method of playing is sustainable over the long term (e.g. beyond this season), secondly that we're wasting some premium talent (Ben Arfa, Anita, possibly Marveaux) by having a manager who just can't work with them, and thirdly even if it is (e.g. we finish top 5 again), we'll be back to struggling again as he clearly hates European campaigns. And I suspect the latter is because his only real gameplan is all about containment and nicking the lead, which inherently relies on high levels of workrate, fitness, preparation, concentration, etc - add in a lengthy European campaign and the stamina/distraction issues kick in. Which is a shame really, as perversely I think Pardew's tactics are more suited to European football given the benefits of taking a more conservative containment approach.

Sorry like, but this is a cracking post. Monkey is spot on as usual. We created almost nothing from open play. We keep the ball well in our half and around midfield, but are absolutely dog s*** hopeless in the final third. This recurring theme cannot continue for long, in addition to relying on a different in-form striker to bail us out every half-term.

Without doubt we are lacking cutting edge in and around the box, this is where HBA would come in handy. But to say we were ‘p*ss poor’ is a load of s****. We kept the ball well at times and built from the back without rushing things. There was a lovely move in the second half where we knocked it round for a good while before Santon fed Sissoko in the box which eventually came to nothing.

Tiote and Cabaye played some lovely stuff between them, and we seems to have runners off the ball which was nice too see.  it wasnt vintage but we’re getting there. As I say, its in and around the box where we seem to lack killer instinct. Even then, We are averaging nearly two goals a game at the minute.

On top of that, we restricted WBA to one shot on target (the goal).

People moaning for moaning sake imo.

Sorry like, but this is a cracking post. Monkey is spot on as usual. We created almost nothing from open play. We keep the ball well in our half and around midfield, but are absolutely dog shit hopeless in the final third. This recurring theme cannot continue for long, in addition to relying on a different in-form striker to bail us out every half-term.

take your NEGATIVITY elsewhere sir, we don't believe what we see with our eyes in here (when we're winning), we look purely at the league table then close our eyes, put our fingers in our ears and scream NEGATIVITY until the doubters go away

that's how you discuss and analyse football good sir, we'll have none of your shit in here

Sorry like, but this is a cracking post. Monkey is spot on as usual. We created almost nothing from open play. We keep the ball well in our half and around midfield, but are absolutely dog s*** hopeless in the final third. This recurring theme cannot continue for long, in addition to relying on a different in-form striker to bail us out every half-term.

take your NEGATIVITY elsewhere sir, we don't believe what we see with our eyes in here (when we're winning), we look purely at the league table then close our eyes, put our fingers in our ears and scream NEGATIVITY until the doubters go away

that's how you discuss and analyse football good sir, we'll have none of your s*** in here

:okay:

Alan Pardew: Good run traces back to home truth session at Goodison Park

2 Dec 2013 07:21

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew indicates United players have all pulled together since woeful first half on Merseyside

Share on print Share on email

Alan Pardew has revealed home truths in the visitors’ dressing room at Goodison Park are the real reason behind Newcastle United’s successful season so far.

Pardew was fuming that night after fans chanted: “We want our money back” and the moment could well be a major turning point in the season.

The Magpies’ boss still maintains his team did not play badly against Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby defeat on Wearside.

He feels the foundations were laid for his team’s four-game winning streak on Merseyside two months ago.

The victory over West Brom fired United up the Premier League table and put Pardew in the box seat for the November Manager of the Month Award, which he will pick up later this week if his 100% record is deemed good enough to win an honour he has claimed only his once before in his managerial career - at West Ham.

When asked what the secret of Uniteds success was this term, he said: “Since the second half against Everton we looked at ourselves and said: ‘come on this is not us’. We had difficulties last year with injuries and the Europa League. We are together this year and we are ready. We said: ‘Let’s go – come on, let’s not make the errors we are making.’

“We won the second half against Everton and since that moment we have been very strong.”

United are now in their best run of form since April 2012, when Pardew led his side to Europe and went on to pick up both the LMA and Premier League Manager of the Year awards.

After his latest triumph, he added: “I genuinely sensed in the dressing room they believed they were going to win.

“Of course, the effort you have to have to put in to win in the Premier League was there for everyone to see. Our two wide guys must have done 12 and half kilometres – no problem.

“They were outstanding and that shape and resilience is getting us results.”

United now take their winning streak to Swansea City on Wednesday night.

When asked how long the winning run could go on for, Pardew said: “I don’t know.

“We have a tough game on Wednesday against Swansea. They are a good side.”

“I think it is difficult to win, especially against teams you are expected to win against. They are the most difficult.”

Pardew’s best sequence of wins was six on the trot at the end of the 2011/12 season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-good-run-traces-6360123

so basically our turnaround this season is down to...............Mike Williamson?!  :o

He's made a crucial contribution, yes. If you're weak at centre back, that saps the confidence of the whole team.

He's an organiser and he gets his head to the ball. We were lacking in those basics and he's plugged that gap.

This recurring theme cannot continue for long, in addition to relying on a different in-form striker to bail us out every half-term.

I'm as equally inclined to say that Cisse's baron spell cannot go on as i am to say that Remy's purple patch can't.

Ramsay and Giroud have 55% of Arsenal's goals.

Remy and Gouffran have 63% of our goals.

Soldado and Sigurdson have 64% of Spurs' goals

Rooney & Van Persie have 68 % of Man U's

Sturridge and Suarez have 72% of Liverpool's.

Having an in form goal scorer or two is vital to the majority of teams that want to be doing well.

I wasn't watching a different game at all really, I do think we deserved to win though.

I think this talk about what kind of winning is 'sustainable' is nonsensical to a large extent. We've won four in a row, that's not bad. One spell we're relying on Cisse, now we're relying on Remy, then we're relying on unexpected goals from the liked of Sissoko. Then we're criticised for not spreading the goals around enough, though we just got a win when Remy wasn't playing well.

I know what people mean, it's true we aren't dominating teams over 90 minutes. But who is? Even the likes of Chelsea are relying on set piece goals, and even Man City can only do it every other week.

Nothing I've posted recently would lead anyone to believe I think everything's great. Bit you know, sometimes it's a good idea to enjoy a bit of success without constantly worrying about when it's going to end.