England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

On another note, i’d Love Jamie Vardy playing for Newcastle.

Double figure a season Premier League striker and England international? Aye, wouldn't be bad, like.

I just mean compared to players at a similar level. Not saying he’s better than Kane but i’d rather have Vardy than Kane for some reason.

Double figure a season Premier League striker and England international? Aye, wouldn't be bad, like.

I just mean compared to players at a similar level. Not saying he’s better than Kane but i’d rather have Vardy than Kane for some reason.

Vardy would be the ultimate Rafa striker like, in this system he uses with us.

In fact Rafa would be pretty lethal with that Leicester team.

:lol: Well that's just mental.

England will never go far in a competition with John Stones at the back. How he sold for £50m i will never know - bang average.

Wow :lol: Get no-nonsense Ryan Shawcross in there instead? :lol:

Lascelles and Smalling both better defenders. As is Mee, Tarkowski, Maguire, Cahill (albeit out of form). Nobody should be playing that cannot get into their club side. Mistakes will occur more often like we seen tonight. He’s rusty and takes a while to settle back into playing.

All subjective of course. But yeah let’s get Shawcross in there..

Proof that even with VAR decisions are still subjective and will never be 100% accurate. Slowing the game down for no reason.

Yep. Said it from the start.

The only decision it would potentially work for is offsides, but there would need to be a lot of work to get it quick enough. It’d have to be almost instant like goal line technology, to be acceptable.

And even then it's only offsides that directly lead to a goal/big decision within a short space of time. Unless they're going to start enforcing it for situations like a player being marginally offside for a throw in, they then take the throw and win a corner and score from that corner. So they look back and cancel out the entire period of play from throw to goal.

It's just such a moronic concept and there's really no need to try and perfect the game in this way. The Premiership was fine in the 90s.

Guest firetotheworks

Erm, why are people angry that clear pen was given as a pen?

You answered it yourself. If there are people saying it wasn't a pen, it might not be as clear as you think it is. Imo it wasn't a pen, the ball was gone, he was on his way down already, it wasn't a tackle, and they didn't even appeal for it. My view on it comes with the caveat of if by the rules of the game it's a penalty then fair enough, but the only real difference is that I disagree with the rules as opposed to disagreeing with the decision.

Wish people (including referees) would realise that football is and always has been a contact sport.

Going down and contact being made does not always mean it should be a foul. An accidental collision like that where the Italy player has no chance (or intention) to get the ball is never a foul in a million years.

We seem to be in an era where contact, no matter how pathetically slight, is an automatic excuse for giving decisions.

And pundits wonder why players fall to the floor like a sack of shit if they feel any contact, because they know they’ll probably get it. Fuck off.

He probably wouldn't have got to the ball, aye but he still got fouled. If someone passes a ball to the opposing team and then an opponent comes in with a late tackle its still a foul. People go on about it being a contact sport but basically anything that involves your legs impeding the other player's legs without getting the ball is a foul and rightly so

As we all know, refs practice a certain amount of discretion when it comes to awarding penalties. Challenges which would get free kicks outside the area don't always result in pens when inside, because refs need to feel more sure of their ground. Also, an accidental collision with the ball out of reach of the attacker might not get penalised at all.

Technically, according to a strict and literal reading of the laws of the game, it was a penalty, but we're getting into a couple of grey areas here. I'm not sure whether the game is going to be improved.

What worries me more is there will be challenges that are more controversial than this one - such as only slight contact, or 50-50 aerial challenges at set pieces where it's not necessarily clear who is fouling who. I'm very unsure how VAR will deal with those situations, and custom and practice is going to develop over time. That's why I think using VAR at the World Cup is at best premature.

They say that VAR will be only used where there is a 'clear and obvious' mistake, but the definition of 'clear and obvious' is in itself a subjective one. Distinguishing fact from opinion is still not going to be easy.

And players go to the floor when they get fouled because we've seen loads of times that you don't get penalties if you try to stay up

Yeah I'm sure that now we have VAR they won't have to do this any more. :rolleyes:

:lol: Well that's just mental.

Oh, I get that, I just really love watching Vardy. Kane's better, but I don't enjoy watching him.

How many England fans will be killed in Russia? I hope anyone going from here takes care and before we jump to conclusions about the behaviour of our own fans over there, let's remember that innocent people will be caught in the cross fire.

The only really question is whether it's the Russia police or the hired Russian thugs who beat our fans senseless.

How many England fans will be killed in Russia? I hope anyone going from here takes care and before we jump to conclusions about the behaviour of our own fans over there, let's remember that innocent people will be caught in the cross fire.

The only really question is whether it's the Russia police or the hired Russian thugs who beat our fans senseless.

I'm gonna go for 0

He probably wouldn't have got to the ball, aye but he still got fouled. If someone passes a ball to the opposing team and then an opponent comes in with a late tackle its still a foul. People go on about it being a contact sport but basically anything that involves your legs impeding the other player's legs without getting the ball is a foul and rightly so

It wasn’t a challenge for the ball and didn’t impede the Italy player in any way. He accidentally stood on his foot, with the ball pretty much already out of play. The fact that the Italy players were more interested in appealing for a corner says it all.

How many times a game does a goalkeeper accidentally collide with a player when getting the ball from a corner? Is that a foul too? By your definition it is.

Contact is inevitable in the game and it’s already sanitised enough.