Liverpool 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/03/18 - Post-match reaction from page 11

BlueStar

There was a thread on here iirc about the same issue about a year ago. There's younger fans (like me actually, probably between about 15 to about 21) who see travelling away from home as an opportunity to get utterly shitfaced on drink and/or drugs, winding home fans up, singing s*** songs like "don't take me home", "is this a library" et cetera rather than actually supporting Newcastle United. I was a mess away at Man City after a day on the drink in Manchester but I wasn't causing any bother, provoking home fans, just singing and supporting NUFC which is what it should be about: following us away from home with your mates, a few pints before and after, celebrate/moan after the game with your mates on the way home.

The "sign on" and "stereo" chants are a pure cringe, not only because of the actual figures of unemployment and crime in Liverpool and Newcastle respectively, but because the North East was actually hit much harder by Thatcher than Liverpool was. The fanbases of NUFC and LFC are similar, both working class Labour voting cities which revolve around the football clubs, have awfully distinguishable accents and have had periods of relative greatness in the past. The chants on Saturday were embarrassing and were very much likely to be that group of morons aged 15 to 21 trying to get a reaction from the Liverpool fans, which is very weird as they had just applauded the anti Ashley chants. :lol: Have to laugh because it's so fatuous.

Whilst most of this may be accurate. I live in Liverpool and there has been literally f*** all mentioned about our politically ironic chants. I feel although it is abit sad and cringey, it's some of our snowflake support that have brought this into the limelight on social media, particularity twitter. It's certainly not LFC fans complaining, or atleast not to the degree some of our fans are.

Oh no :anguish: :lol: :anguish: :lol: :anguish: :lol: :anguish:

Not surprised scousers aren't offended because it's just f***ing ridiculous, but it's so embarassing

The chants are boring, unfunny and tedious and the vast majority of us would never sing them, but the attempt at a Geordie/Scouse love in is quite bizarre.

Liverpool and Everton have often been aggressive towards Newcastle fans and never really concerned themselves with our sensitivities.

It's also incorrect to somehow portray us as victims of the same economic woes. Merseyside and Tyneside had different economies and their respective downturns were due to quite different circumstances.

I don't see a love-in and I don't see much relevance in the fact we've had different economies.  The point is, singing about unemployment, poverty and deprivation based on area - and when we come from the poorest region of the country! - is fucking embarrassing.

Guest Howaythetoon

They show their class by applauding the anti-Ashley chant and our fans or some of them respond by mocking the fact that they are a city with tough economic and crime conditions. Much like our own City. Fucking pathetic and makes us look like right cretins. No doubt it will have been sung by charv teens who haven’t a clue about the world or about tough conditions. Little tossers.

Its nowt to do with banter or being snowflakes either, another word I hate as much as banter, it’s about not being a cretin or an idiot. Thankfully it’s in the minority and it seems a lot of older heads let a few of them know what’s what...

My post was really about the TF link Paully posted earlier. I should have said that and it may have made a bit more sense  :)

The chants are boring, unfunny and tedious and the vast majority of us would never sing them, but the attempt at a Geordie/Scouse love in is quite bizarre.

Liverpool and Everton have often been aggressive towards Newcastle fans and never really concerned themselves with our sensitivities.

It's also incorrect to somehow portray us as victims of the same economic woes. Merseyside and Tyneside had different economies and their respective downturns were due to quite different circumstances.

I don't see a love-in and I don't see much relevance in the fact we've had different economies.  The point is, singing about unemployment, poverty and deprivation based on area - and when we come from the poorest region of the country! - is fucking embarrassing.

What’s equally embarrassing is the use of the word ‘snowflake’ as an adjective, it’s right up there with ‘politically correct’ as a cringeworthy comment. I have lived and worked in Liverpool for 27 years and I suspect the reason why there hasn’t been much local reaction is that they have heard it all before a million times and it’s boring. 

Eh? f***ing hope so, like. Never heard of our lot singing that, thought it was restricted to Leeds hooligans.

Far from it. It was chanted regularly throughout the mid to late eighties, and was revived when our rivalry reached it's peak.

It is a f***ing horrific and shameful song. No doubt fuelled by Sunderland-type ‘poor cousin’ jealousy, City fans called Man Utd fans ‘Munichs’ for years; some probably still do. I appreciate with time, the rawness of human tragedy can fade, and it just becomes a ‘thing,’ associated with a club. But I found the recent Munich air disaster documentary, particularly Bobby Charlton’s reaction through the eyes of his family, so moving it would really sicken me to hear people sing that now.

Eh? Fucking hope so, like. Never heard of our lot singing that, thought it was restricted to Leeds hooligans.

Every club used to have people singing that.

Me and my mate had to tell some of our lot to cut it out on the tube on the way to the FA Cup final at Wembley in 1999.

Man Utd and Everton no saints in singing songs about Hillsborough and Heysel either mind.