We did nearly end up with Bruce

Skirge

OMFG!!!

I almost quit Bruce

Dec 13 2006

By The Journal

Birmingham City boss Steve Bruce has admitted he nearly quit at the start of the 2003-04 season to take over at Newcastle.

The former Manchester United defender was an avid supporter of the Magpies as a youngster.

Bruce said: "People associate me with Manchester United but I am a Newcastle United fan, my family is from Newcastle and I used to crawl under the turnstiles to watch them play. I had the chance to manage them but felt loyalty to the people I work for here at Birmingham.

Bruce has now been in charge at St Andrew's for five years and would like to complete a decade at the helm.

"The five years seem to have gone in a flash," said Bruce, who led the side to the Premiership in his first season but suffered relegation last term. "Let's hope I can do another five years, that's the aim."

When it comes to Souness or Bruce though, I'd have to go for Bruce, just.

We'll never know of course but I doubt Bruce would have fallen out with Robert or Bellamy and with those 2 in the side things might have gone very differently in the uefa semi against Lisbon.

Pretty much what he said. Its hard to imagine him being much worse an appointment than Souness.

03/04? When Robson was still in charge after us finishing 3rd the season before?

Surely 04/05?

no it was not after finishing 3rd it was after finishing 5th and getting us to the Uefa Cup Semi Final, sacking Sir Bobby Robson after either of them seasons in logic was absolutely ludicrous particularly as the guy (Souness) who was suppose to solve the so called dressing room problems (Myth) managed to get two of our own players (Dyer and Bowyer) to fight on the pitch and then finish 14th our worse ever Premiership finish all this after sacking a man (Sir Bobby) who got us 4th 3ed and 5th the seasons before.

to think Souness and Bruce where the men Shepherd had in mind to move us into the next gear from 4th 3ed and 5th to higher and better things is shocking.