Central midfield pair

Guest tobiazvanderziaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

After 100 votes a conclusion is being made. Looks like Emre is the most popular with Butt right behind him. Our captain Parker hasnt got the support he deserves (if you ask me ;) ). Anyways a good central midfield we have at Newcastle with Dyer being a good replacement too :)

To me, there are various combinatiions in the centre of a 4-4-2 before Parker should get a kick.

Butt/Emre

Butt/Dyer

Emre/Dyer

What does Parker do, if playing in combination with any of those 3 players, that is better than those other players in their roles?

Does he play the holding role with the discipline and "reading of the game" ability of Butt?

Does he create and pass as well as Emre?

Is he an attacking threat on a par, or better than Dyer?

Imo, if he's in the centre with Emre he gets in Emre's way and stops him playing. We've seen plenty of that and I don't understand why people still believe that combintion can work.

If he's in with Butt he'll be expected to create, but he has almost zero creative ability.

If he's in the centre with Dyer he may do better, but it's a real problem that he lacks the ability to move the ball on quickly.  This will become even more apparent if/when Owen is up front with Martins, and with Dyer also in the team making forward runs, even if Dyer is on the right. With Zog using pace on the left we'd have a lot of pacey players, Parker has got to learn to shift the ball on much faster than he does. He should watch Butt, because his passing is far more slick and creative.

Parker is not an easy player to fit into a team imo, and he's not good enough to build a team around. I'd sell him, tbh. We don't need him and the money could be better allocated elsewhere in the side.

Agree 100% :clap:

As do I.  :thup:

The only way to accommodate Parker into the team is to revert to a 4-5-1 formation, the problem with that is we've built the rest of our squad around a 4-4-2 formation (Wingers and small front men) I'd sell Parker and use part of the money to sign Diop from Fulham, he's a better holding man than Butt and won't disrupt the balance of the team.

Emre & Butt against Porstmouth (for 65 mins) and against Reading were awesome.

Parker is not as good as Butt in this role, so do we sell him? Not sure i would want to get rid of a reliable player like Parker but the fact the he is captain makes the situation unworkable.

What about playing an Italian style midfield attack and become the new Arsenal of the eighties:

------------Given------------

---¿¿¿New defenders ???----------

-------Butt-----Parker

Dyer----Emre---------Duff

---------Martins--------------

All looks a bit fairytale but since we cant decide who's the best for the midfield we should have to play cattenacio from now on blueyes.gif

Guest TheDutchman

What about playing an Italian style midfield attack and become the new Arsenal of the eighties:

------------Given------------

---¿¿¿New defenders ???----------

-------Butt-----Parker

Dyer----Emre---------Duff

---------Martins--------------

All looks a bit fairytale but since we cant decide who's the best for the midfield we should have to play cattenacio from now on blueyes.gif

Play cattenacio and the stadium will be empty. But new defenders is a good idea of course!

Emre and Butt are the two in possession at the moment, it's up to Parker to force his way into the team.

agreed,also it will be interesting to watch emre when next alongside parker to see wether his recent is because of butt or a final coming to terms with the english game.

Parker is one of my favourite players at the club, but, Emre and Nicky Butt have been forming a good partnership together lately, so I would stay with them until form dips or injury breaks them up.

Butt has been a big bonus this season, a different player to what we witnessed the season before last.

Guest stjamestoon

I like the Butt/Emre partnership, but i feel we can't afford to leave a player of Parker's quality out the team. Plus i have a very bad feeling we will loose Emre in January, or the Summer, for him to go back to Italy. :(

Selling Parker would be madness!! What if (and possibly when) Butt gets injured and Dyer is out of shape as well..?! All of you would be whining about almost having to re-call Clark. Get a f***in grip

Guest stjamestoon

Who in god's name mentioned selling Parker? Idiots if they did!

Butt is 32 for christ sake, and it wasnt too far back everyone said they hated the fella!!

Its good to have 3 class players to swap around, and dyer in there too, is a good feeling to have!

Who in god's name mentioned selling Parker? Idiots if they did!

Butt is 32 for christ sake, and it wasnt too far back everyone said they hated the fella!!

Its good to have 3 class players to swap around, and dyer in there too, is a good feeling to have!

I'd sell Parker.

If you want, instead of calling me an idiot, why not try to answer constructively the post I made earlier up this page?

Thanks in advance

i'd sell Parker and i think we could make a profit on him. Everton wanted him and Wigan offered £10m for him, so there's two clubs who'd probably enter a bidding war. he just doesn't gel well with any of our other midfielders, he doesn't have the nous or discipline to be a holding player, his passing and anticipation is awful, he's not creative, nor does he score many.

I don't rate Butt that highly, he can be improved upon too. So if we sold Parker then i'd want a new signing to replace Butt in the team. We'd have a first-choice midfield four of Dyer, Emre, Butt and an other.

i'd sell Parker and i think we could make a profit on him. Everton wanted him and Wigan offered £10m for him, so there's two clubs who'd probably enter a bidding war. he just doesn't gel well with any of our other midfielders, he doesn't have the nous or discipline to be a holding player, his passing and anticipation is awful, he's not creative, nor does he score many.

I don't rate Butt that highly, he can be improved upon too. So if we sold Parker then i'd want a new signing to replace Butt in the team. We'd have a first-choice midfield four of Dyer, Emre, Butt and an other.

When? If we took 13 million odd for Woodgate, then 10 million for Parker would be the best bit of business we would have done in years. Providing this is true, which I doubt.

When? If we took 13 million odd for Woodgate, then 10 million for Parker would be the best bit of business we would have done in years. Providing this is true, which I doubt.

seems i got my wires crossed. Wigan offered £7m for Parker. not that i wouldn't take that though.

Selling Parker would be madness!! What if (and possibly when) Butt gets injured and Dyer is out of shape as well..?! All of you would be whining about almost having to re-call Clark. Get a f***in grip

I don't think anyone was suggesting selling him and not buying a replacement.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

A club like Newcastle with their high ambitions shouldnt sell their best players and Parker is one of the best player at Newcastle. He had a great year last season, and he was like an one-man-army in the first couple of months in this season - about the only one who could look at himself in the mirror and be satisfied with his performance. And now, because Butt has a little run, a lot of people wanna see him leave the club.  bluesigh.gif

A club like Newcastle with their high ambitions shouldnt sell their best players and Parker is one of the best player at Newcastle. He had a great year last season, and he was like an one-man-army in the first couple of months in this season - about the only one who could look at himself in the mirror and be satisfied with his performance. And now, because Butt has a little run, a lot of people wanna see him leave the club.  bluesigh.gif

In my opinion...

No, he isn't one of the best players at Newcastle, he's over-rated.

No, he did not have a great year last season, we did better when he was out of the team, as we are this season too.

No, it's nowt to do with Butt having a bit of a run, I haven't rated Parker since he signed.

Cheers