Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Hmm. On the face of it, it looks dodgy for the takeover.

However, I'm sure sponsorship deals can be ended early as long as contract sums are paid up. Also, could anything takeover related be written into any new agreement - such as 'subject to change of ownership' - similar conditions to those loans/mortgages Ashley had to pay up immediately when took over?

So, whilst this looks like bad news, and that we are facing 'business as usual' for the foreseeable, things can probably change quite quickly/easily (just not cheaply) if they need to.

No doubt the usual suspects on Twitter will spin this to the negative, though.

Doesn't mean anything other than the club are still actually doing things rather than sitting with their thumbs up themselves. If they genuinely know as little as they say about ownership change then this does make sense, as unpalatable as it is.

This announcement of a "long term" "primary partner" deal severely knocks my confidence of the PIF acquisition being completed.

I think it is highly probably that PIF would have wanted to brand the club strongly towards Saudi business interests and would have wanted their logos all over the uniform and the grounds.

When an organisation is in the process of being sold, major deals, agreements, or structural changes can not be made by the organisation without the permission/consent of the buying party; I can not see PIF agreeing to a long-term arrangement whereby FUN88 is the "primary partner".  This is why this announcement severely damages my confidence in the sale being completed.

I really do think that assertions like "sponsorship arrangements can be ended early", whilst technically correct, is unlikely because any newly minted agreement likely has huge payout clauses given their awareness of a potential sale for mega-money.  I think believing that PIF could just pay off FUN88 to end the sponsorship early is grasping a straws in a desperate attempt to maintain some confidence in the deal being completed.

Guest chopey

Ashley hurry up tactic, he'll probably threaten to rename the stadium again tomorrow, surprised he hasn't refurloghed a load of staff or pulled out the redundancy card yet.

Honestly can't see how this would be signed off, on a long term deal, if there was a sniff of an imminent takeover.

I guess its only 'imminent' in that they're waiting for the PL to approve them. But they've been waiting almost 3 months for that, now!

Maybe the potential owners have agreed this with the club needing to make certain decisions (sponsors, kits, etc) for next season.

All these agreements may have get-out clauses written into them.

Meh, I think these are decisions that needed to be made. And with no timeline on a decision from the PL, the club have been allowed to press on.

But, look at Man City's takeover. Admittedly that was mid-season, but they went from Le Coq Sportif designed shirts with Thomas Cook on, to Umbro with Etihad the following season.

So I'm sure all these agreements can be changed, if needed.

Sorry for posting his tweet. Hope it’s accurate

Doesn't that mean it'd less likely to have the breaks you'd need to get the Saudi money.

Yes but would also mean Saudis would be aware of the extension before they bid

Taking the tweet with a pinch of salt mind

Doesn't that mean it'd less likely to have the breaks you'd need to get the Saudi money.

I still don't understand who or what Steve Wraith is, but that tweet is accurate.

I still don't understand who or what Steve Wraith is, but that tweet is accurate.

His source is probably your post that was three minutes before his tweet tbf.