James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

Leicester only have a £35m net spend over last 5 seasons. How come they are so fucked financially? 

Basically 1/10th of what teams like West Ham have spent who've finished similar positions. 

They were one only a few clubs that received a warning regarding inordinate Covid-19 deductions. West Ham were one of the others along with (surprise) Chelsea.  The latest report didn’t say anything about Everton, maybe they were warned previously?

Seems odd that they’d be in such financial straights given their relative spend and European football.

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

Leicester only have a £35m net spend over last 5 seasons. How come they are so fucked financially? 

Basically 1/10th of what teams like West Ham have spent who've finished similar positions. 

Probably down to a number of factors:

1. Major financial commitments to training and stadium infrastructure

2. Unfortunate timing re recent success. The rewards for two fifth places and Euro football, as well as FA Cup win were lessened by the impact of Covid they really needed those couple of points that would have resulted in  Champions League qualification.

3. I suspect that Srivaddhanaprabha's King Power interests have been massively hit by the impact of Covid on the tourist and travel industries.

It goes without saying that they don't have the resources of the other clubs recently competing in the top 8 of the  PL and Covid will have hit them harder than their competitors.

8 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

from the Leicester forum:

Was at the match, madders stayed longer than any other player after the match. He just stood still and stared at the away fans. Justin had to pull him away. Looked like an absolutely broken man. Look what you've done to our star Rodgers you muppet.

That to me looks like the fans were giving him stick and he acted the arsehole.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's an odd situation though because Rodgers is obviously a good manager and has shown that at Leicester. Maybe it's a case of this being what happens when you don't freshen up the squad and the repercussions of that.

He seems to be a 'motivational manager' in a Keegan type of way. The difficulty with those is that they need to keep changing constantly or the motivation aspect wears off after a while, I reckon that's having an impact here.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not sure if it's true, but isn't the line coming out of Leicester that they were fucked up by Covid more than anyone else?

They can blame covid for their mistakes. Reads better than actually identifying how much money they've burned on vanity projects and keeping up with the Jones. Their wage bill is sky high. Their transfer record is offset by 2 or 3 large sales, but all of that has gone back on players (like it should do) but over paying those players to get them through the door has led them to a dark corner where they can't move out of as they don't have the financial income to do so.

Look at the Fofana deal. Sold for £70m but how much of that was profit? Bought him for nearly £40m with a massive sell on fee to his former club. With his and agent signing on fee that's nearly all gone. They paid him top edge so when Chelsea came knocking there was nothing left to offer him to stay. Same with Tielemans. 

Edited by Dokko

44 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

He seems to be a 'motivational manager' in a Keegan type of way. The difficulty with those is that they need to keep changing constantly or the motivation aspect wears off after a while, I reckon that's having an impact here.

I agree with this and one of the many reasons I like Howe.  Banging the table might work for a short time but emphasis on team work, tactics and hard work is a more long term solution 

4 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Think he comes in January when they need to cash in?

Wouldn’t be surprised. We seem to be adopting a slow and sure approach to getting who we want, fir what we are willing to pay. Guess it depends whether he is still seen a priority (given they may have other targets for next summer being added to ‘the dossier’). 

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Barring a continued injury crisis though I don't seem much happening in January at all

Might be a few players who've chosen "stick" prior to the World Cup might want to "twist" in Jan, tho. 

If it's someone we like we'll go

3 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I don't really see him as the motivational type tbh, he seems like one of those managers who likes to bang his own drum. I can imagine players would quickly get tired of his self aggrandising manner and it does seem wherever he's gone, the results seem to tail off quite drastically after a couple of years.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I don't really see him as the motivational type tbh, he seems like one of those managers who likes to bang his own drum. I can imagine players would quickly get tired of his self aggrandising manner and it does seem wherever he's gone, the results seem to tail off quite drastically after a couple of years.

Aye and nothing wrong with it. 2-3 years and needs to move on.

As for Maddison, he's a great talent, but Leicester pricing him out of a move here might have turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I don't think we would have pushed for Isak as hard if we had already spent huge money on Maddison. Isak for me was a bigger priority.

Leicester needed a good start to justify their hardball stance on demanding maximum fees, sitting bottom of the table that money we offered for Maddison must look a lot better now the window's closed. Good luck in getting £60m in January.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

As for Maddison, he's a great talent, but Leicester pricing him out of a move here might have turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I don't think we would have pushed for Isak as hard if we had already spent huge money on Maddison. Isak for me was a bigger priority.

Leicester needed a good start to justify their hardball stance on demanding maximum fees, sitting bottom of the table that money we offered for Maddison must look a lot better now the window's closed. Good luck in getting £60m in January.

There's no way they'd sell him anyway if they're in a relegation battle.

4 hours ago, 1964 said:

I agree with this and one of the many reasons I like Howe.  Banging the table might work for a short time but emphasis on team work, tactics and hard work is a more long term solution 

Which is why I find Ferguson and Wenger so fascinating. I refuse to buy Ferguson’s book but they both seem to a mixture of tactical and motivational. Agree that Howe seems to be the same

2 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Which is why I find Ferguson and Wenger so fascinating. I refuse to buy Ferguson’s book but they both seem to a mixture of tactical and motivational. Agree that Howe seems to be the same

Both of their books are brilliant, they created an us against the world mentality deliberately and it worked, but they had players of that nature, I don’t think we do and again I don’t want our manager pissing and moaning every week. Get even, not angry!

Also, I think we do kind of have an us against the world mentality already, but it’s kind of more organic in that we know who own us, we know they are not welcome by the so-called legacy clubs and that we are a threat to them and on top of suffering the Ashley years, there seems to be this United resilience among the club and fans right now as a result of all that which I will say, Wor Flags have played a huge part in and long may it continue.

24 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Both of their books are brilliant, they created an us against the world mentality deliberately and it worked, but they had players of that nature, I don’t think we do and again I don’t want our manager pissing and moaning every week. Get even, not angry!

Ferguson had the luxury of a one-off group of kids he could mould as well