James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Still super meh for me. Sorry :lol: Fully appreciate many will disagree with me on that. Similarly to the Pope transfer I'll happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he comes and improves us.

For now though I think we have lots of proven quality. We need to make room for potential as well. Maddison is quite limited when he isn't responsible for set-pieces (and we have a few very competent set-piece takers already) and seems (maybe influenced somewhat based on his last game admittedly) lazy off the ball. He isn't as good at dribbling nor as fast as Anderson. You don't have to watch many games to see stuff like that. The question about Anderson for me is if he can consistently put in performances like he's done so far on a consistent basis and for 90 minutes - but he needs to get the chance to prove it.

You would definitely be holding your hands up.

Guest reefatoon
6 hours ago, Nine said:

Anderson’s only full season has been in league 2 and people are talking about him > Maddison? :lol: 

The Paqueta lunacy has died down, folks need somewhere else to hoy their lunacy. [emoji38]

2 hours ago, HawK said:

Don't see why both can't play, there's 2 holes in our team, the 3rd central midfielder and either wing (if Maxi moves over).

Anderson's played his most effectively for the Gas on the left wing and has looked right at home here in the same position too.

Anderson - Isak - Maxi

Joelinton - Maddison - Guimaraes

Sacked Wilson off, I see 🤔

Let's just do them all

Pope

Schar       Botman

Trippier                                   Targett

Bruno

Maddison     Anderson

Isak         Wilson        ASM

Edited by cubaricho

I wouldn’t say no to Maddison obviously, but I’d rather we developed say Anderson to be our Maddison, a goalscoring and goal assisting attacking player. I think we need a RW and another CF and definitely a DCM who can sit in front of the back four so we can play a high line with that protection who can just give it to our attacking players. It’s a shame Shelvey has no stamina, pace or can press, because he would be decent giving he likes to sit deeper and get the ball and play it. I want Joelinton higher up the pitch because his pressing, tackling and long legged strides is ferocious. 

Guest reefatoon
20 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

He's unfortunately the one that's going to have to eventually make way as we get better midfielders in.

Agree with that. Willock first then Joelinton some way down the line. Though we can’t drop him for the same kind of attacking midfielders, that would leave us rather weak in the middle. We would have to have like for like but improve where possible.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Let's just do them all

Pope

Schar       Botman

Trippier                                   Targett

Bruno

Anderson     Joelinton

Diaby         Isak        ASM

fyp

Joelinton has a chance to stay in the team for a long time IMO.

He's not a classic holding midfielder obviously but he's the kind of physical presence and ball winner you need in a midfield.

The thing will be to have him in there with two absolutely quality footballers who we can play through. My current inclination is to leave Bruno as the sitting midfielder just running the game from deep while we get a quality AM in there in Willock's place. You could also move Bruno to the more advanced role and bring in a new DM but the key is that whoever you bring in is more of a deep sitting playmaker, not a destroyer.

Joe is going to look limited when we need more of him in attack as we have the last few games with Bruno out. However, you saw him against City where he was an absolute monster. I can't see a player like that not being very useful for us for a very long time.

Hoping the home game against Bournemouth we get Bruno, Joe and Anderson in midfield.

39 minutes ago, Shak said:

Joelinton has a chance to stay in the team for a long time IMO.

He's not a classic holding midfielder obviously but he's the kind of physical presence and ball winner you need in a midfield.

The thing will be to have him in there with two absolutely quality footballers who we can play through. My current inclination is to leave Bruno as the sitting midfielder just running the game from deep while we get a quality AM in there in Willock's place. You could also move Bruno to the more advanced role and bring in a new DM but the key is that whoever you bring in is more of a deep sitting playmaker, not a destroyer.

Joe is going to look limited when we need more of him in attack as we have the last few games with Bruno out. However, you saw him against City where he was an absolute monster. I can't see a player like that not being very useful for us for a very long time.

Hoping the home game against Bournemouth we get Bruno, Joe and Anderson in midfield.

I’m adamant Bruno is wasted sitting as the purely defensive DM. He’s got goals in him as well as creativity further forward. Wasted as a destroyer. 

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

This, if Howe really wants an AM. I wonder how much it would take.

39 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'd go for Mac Allister over Maddison. Reckon he'll be more than happy to double his wage with us given Brighton's inability to keep Potter happy. Can't aee them appointing anyone anywhere near as high profile.

All it took was a few goals on the highlights last weekend and now everyone wants  Mac Allister. Come on guys that's so typical. Didn't see him mentioned once on here all summer, and in fact if we had been linked people would have been moaning!

And for what it's worth he is playing as a DM this season, initiating their play from the back and is not playing as an AM.

9 hours ago, buzza said:

his stats are amazing but i also don´t think he puts in the shifts that this team seems to like...

He's grafted loads when he's been on the wing role for Leicester. Their complaint seems to be he's doing too much defensive work under Rodgers. 

30 minutes ago, KaKa said:

All it took was a few goals on the highlights last weekend and now everyone wants  Mac Allister. Come on guys that's so typical. Didn't see him mentioned once on here all summer, and in fact if we had been linked people would have been moaning!

And for what it's worth he is playing as a DM this season, initiating their play from the back and is not playing as an AM.

Nah, I thought he was good last season, just appears to have stepped it up a notch this season.

I actually used to sign him on FM from South America, was aware of him for a bit before Brighton's interest became public knowledge (oooh, I'm hard) and did some Dennis Wise scouting on him, as I thought his name was fascinating and I didn't actually believe he was a real person with a name like that.

Think he'd be a good addition to the squad and an attainable purchase, given he's only at Brighton. Decent tackler / dribbler, room for growth with no major weakness to his game.

Just don’t see where Maddison fits unless he’s looking to play Bruno as a DM. He certainly wouldn’t be my first choice wide right in our current pressing style. 

Far better investing the money in a genuine speed merchant on the right such as Diaby and then investing in a genuine DM the following summer. A front 3 of St Max, Isak and Diaby would frighten any team in the land.

1 hour ago, LV said:

I’m adamant Bruno is wasted sitting as the purely defensive DM. He’s got goals in him as well as creativity further forward. Wasted as a destroyer. 

In the current squad I'd probably agree with you. If Bruno is back on Sunday I'd like to see him, Joe and Longstaff as the midfield three with Longstaff sitting.

Long term, nobody is suggesting him being the "destroyer" though, looking at the DM as simply a midfielder who defends is a bit antiquated. Were players like Pirlo and Modric wasted playing from deep? Not to say he can reach that level but having a player who's always ready to receive the ball and can pick a pass at will to get the ball to our attackers in good position is massively beneficial to a team, and certainly the way Howe wants us to play. Having a beast like Joelinton allows us to have a player like that without being weak in terms of ball winning in the centre of the park.

Again, in the short term I'd like us to see Bruno play more advanced. We need him there with the current squad. But say by this time next year we'd signed an attack minded midfielder like Maddison and a RW like Diaby, the thought of Bruno from deep feeding an ASM, Isak and Diaby front three sounds immense to me.

31 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Nah, I thought he was good last season, just appears to have stepped it up a notch this season.

I actually used to sign him on FM from South America, was aware of him for a bit before Brighton's interest became public knowledge (oooh, I'm hard) and did some Dennis Wise scouting on him, as I thought his name was fascinating and I didn't actually believe he was a real person with a name like that.

Think he'd be a good addition to the squad and an attainable purchase, given he's only at Brighton. Decent tackler / dribbler, room for growth with no major weakness to his game.

Fair enough. Think it's a bit too soon with him though, as he didn't really show too much last season.

And this season he seems to be excelling more in that deeper midfield role, which is quite different from what he has typically played before.

Just now, KaKa said:

Fair enough. Think it's a bit too soon with him though, as he didn't really show too much last season.

And this season he seems to be excelling more in that deeper midfield role, which is quite different from what he has typically played before.

I think he's massively benefitted from playing under someone like Potter and I'd be interested to see him under Howe alongside the likes of Bruno. He can do multiple roles in the middle tbh, not too dissimilar to Bruno in that sense.