Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

11 hours ago, Dokko said:

This club has been working hard in the background for today. They've sown seeds in the media, within other clubs and gone to town with legal representation whilst painting a picture of compliance. If we are the one club who voted againdt then ok, it's shit for us, but I reckon this is whst they wanted for some time. Shackles off, not fully free, but enough for it not to be a problem right now whilst we exploit all commercial deals. 

This isn’t shackles-off.  This is shackles-on even harder than they were before

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

To be honest I think a lot of teams outside of the big 6 will have the same feeling of “well what’s the point really?” If they’re constantly going to be hamstrung by restraints.

Absolutely, as I’ve posted previously if you aren’t bothered about challenging these rules are fantastic, you limit your investment and enjoy watching your paper gains sky rocket because of the growth of the overall league. 

It’s a really shitty situation for us as these rules are great for anyone who is content. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

95% of PL clubs voted in favour of more stringent FFP

I wouldn’t be holding my breath for any legal challenges, folks

Welp those ambitions are bullshit then, can’t have it both ways. 

We need to exploit the gaps in the rules like Chelsea did by signing players on 8 year contracts. We must be able to get some smart lawyer to find us these gaps where we can boost our money. As soon as we find the gaps we need to be roothless and inject crazy money before they ban it.
Wouldnt it be possible to hosting a concert and taking 100M for ultra VIP tickets which ofcourse is only a PIF shell company that is buying. As i understand there is a roof on matchday tickets, but is it on stadium tours, etc? They are playing dirty and ban everything we can do, imo its time we start fighting dirty back.. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Welp those ambitions are bullshit then, can’t have it both ways. 

It’s either or at this point.  Starting to suspect some very big statements have been made with very little substance to them. 

1 minute ago, Begbie said:

We need to exploit the gaps in the rules like Chelsea did by signing players on 8 year contracts. We must be able to get some smart lawyer to find us these gaps where we can boost our money. As soon as we find the gaps we need to be roothless and inject crazy money before they ban it.
Wouldnt it be possible to hosting a concert and taking 100M for ultra VIP tickets which ofcourse is only a PIF shell company that is buying. As i understand there is a roof on matchday tickets, but is it on stadium tours, etc? They are playing dirty and ban everything we can do, imo its time we start fighting dirty back.. 

They’d end up kb’ing that for related party income.  They’ve shown no inkling so far to do anything about the rules in place - in fact, we seem to be voting for them 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s either or at this point.  Starting to suspect some very big statements have been made with very little substance to them. 

Either that or they can work miracles, city can spend double what we can every year, thats a hell of a snowball. 

Not to sound like Floydian but it’s either we challenge these rules or we accept being an upper mid table club with a Leicester sized chance of winning the league. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Either that or they can work miracles, city can spend double what we can every year, thats a hell of a snowball. 

Not to sound like Floydian but it’s either we challenge these rules or we accept being an upper mid table club with a Leicester sized chance of winning the league. 

Agreed.  The new rules effectively stop owner-investment altogether.  Up to them now - either shit or get off the pot.  Frankly, if we’re to be the upper mid table club I’d be happier doing that with other owners …

Edited by TheBrownBottle

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The thing for me is I didn’t expect us to go out and spend gazillions and I’m all for the graded approach. However it’s becoming clear that it’s going to be almost impossible to match the spending power of the big 6 because the rules in place simply won’t allow progression at anything other than glacial levels of speed. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  The new rules effectively stop owner-investment altogether.  Up to them now - either shit or get off the pot.  Frankly, if we’re to be the upper mid table club I’d be happier doing that with other owners …

Why other owners?

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

The thing for me is I didn’t expect us to go out and spend gazillions and I’m all for the graded approach. However it’s becoming clear that it’s going to be almost impossible to match the spending power of the big 6 because the rules in place simply won’t allow progression at anything other than glacial levels of speed. 

That’s it and we won’t progress, we simply don’t have the drivers of growth those clubs have. We are disadvantaged compared to all of those six other clubs. So we might have a season like last where we sneak into the CL but that will be the absolute ceiling for us, and likely we’d suffer the same fate as this season as our budget would be cut. 

Don’t get me wrong, the owners have obviously done well until now but they will have very limit ability to change anything now with these rules. 

We’ve also shown very little signs of being clever and trying to find loopholes we will be utterly stuck. 

but if our owners are voting for this stuff it should tell everyone all they need to know, we have no intentions of competing with the biggest clubs. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No point in a Faustian pact if you get no benefit from it.  I’d happily not have the club linked to the current 80% owners

Yes well the Saudi ownership doesn’t sit comfortably with me either I’d agree. Not that it’s stopped me from going albeit on rare occasion more recently (I’ve been washed I guess ha)

19 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

To be honest I think a lot of teams outside of the big 6 will have the same feeling of “well what’s the point really?” If they’re constantly going to be hamstrung by restraints.

Exactly. How can clubs get their revenue to the same level as the teams in red without a decent lot of money being spent in the first instance? Basically saying “it’s a closed club now - you’ll never be able to compete”. Why clubs continue to vote for this is baffling.

Yes well the Saudi ownership doesn’t sit comfortably with me either I’d agree. Not that it’s stopped me from going albeit on rare occasion more recently (I’ve been washed I guess ha)

:) no, I’m never going to criticising anyone going to the match mate - it’s in your blood.  I still watch it and want us to win.  I could just about (hypocritically!) put up with the current ownership if when they left we were transformed.  If we’re just agreeing to be limited in this way, then I don’t see why our city and club should be tied to them with no gain.  

Just now, Mase said:

Exactly. How can clubs get their revenue to the same level as the teams in red without a decent lot of money being spent in the first instance? Basically saying “it’s a closed club now - you’ll never be able to compete”. Why clubs continue to vote for this is baffling.

These are business, they don’t want to compete. 

they are happy with the market share they have and want to protect it, the best way to prevent competition is to limit expenditure. 

When thinking avoid these rules and regulations think about them from a business perspective not a sporting one. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Ashley has a lot to fucking answer for, like. 

He does - our commercials were above Spurs and Man City when he took over.  He absolutely fucked this club, possibly permanently given this latest FFP stitch-up 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Ashley has a lot to fucking answer for, like. 

This is the problem, we had 14 years of complete stagnation. I guess humans rights discussions aside (whether that’s something that bothers the individual fan) we’ve got a board who want us to progress and be as good as we can which is what everyone wanted. The issue now that most fans are going to have to accept is that it’s probably not going to be as exciting in the new few years as we’d all hoped after the initial takeover and rapid rise in success. 

This is the problem, we had 14 years of complete stagnation. I guess humans rights discussions aside (whether that’s something that bothers the individual fan) we’ve got a board who want us to progress and be as good as we can which is what everyone wanted. The issue now that most fans are going to have to accept is that it’s probably not going to be as exciting in the new few years as we’d all hoped after the initial takeover and rapid rise in success. 

Fans shouldn’t accept it either, the constraints are artificial and shouldn’t exist. The only thing the fans should feel is anger towards our current owners if we sit by idly and allowed ourselves to become content with our place. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

These are business, they don’t want to compete. 

they are happy with the market share they have and want to protect it, the best way to prevent competition is to limit expenditure. 

When thinking avoid these rules and regulations think about them from a business perspective not a sporting one. 

Football’s been broken from the moment the FA allowed shareholders to take profits.  Newcastle United shouldn’t need rich foreign owners to compete - it should only need to be well-run.  I’m pining for a world which no longer exists, of course - and I’m not a conservative or backward looking person by nature - but Sky and the international broadcast deals have absolutely knackered the balance of English football.  It’s now a closed shop. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Football’s been broken from the moment the FA allowed shareholders to take profits.  Newcastle United shouldn’t need rich foreign owners to compete - it should only need to be well-run.  I’m pining for a world which no longer exists, of course - and I’m not a conservative or backward looking person by nature - but Sky and the international broadcast deals have absolutely knackered the balance of English football.  It’s now a closed shop. 

Actually if you take a step back the issue is the regulation of the industry, right now we have a cartel (and this is the league in it’s entirety actually not just the big6) who are creating rules which are anti competitive. 

so what we need to happen is the government to steps in and break up the cartel and created new rules which encourage competition. 

Unfortunately, as you well know the governments are as susceptible to the cartels influence as any of the cartel members are so it would likely still remain the same. 

the cartel won because it won the pr battle, it successful managed to convince people that FFP was about financial fairness and protecting clubs from themselves and this isn’t the case in both instances. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Actually if you take a step back the issue is the regulation of the industry, right now we have a cartel (and this is the league in it’s entirety actually not just the big6) who are creating rules which are anti competitive. 

so what we need to happen is the government to steps in and break up the cartel and created new rules which encourage competition. 

Unfortunately, as you well know the governments are as susceptible to the cartels influence as any of the cartel members are so it would likely still remain the same. 

the cartel won because it won the pr battle, it successful managed to convince people that FFP was about financial fairness and protecting clubs from themselves and this isn’t the case in both instances. 

You’re right, but it’s not just the ‘Sky Six’ and FFP.  It’s permanently imbalanced the entire pyramid.  Bournemouth and Palace now have incomes which absolutely dwarf Leeds and Sheff Wed and Sunderland - that didn’t used to happen.  The gulfs between every strata are ridiculous